U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,302,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I know in both NV and CA it is illegal not to report crimes against children (under the age of 18 in NV and under the age of 15 in CA.) Both laws were passed after a case involving a child who was molested and murdered. A man witnessed the molestation and did not report it.

Sadly, I think remember the exact case you are talking about.

Jeremy Strohmeyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
False.

Good Samaritan laws only offer civil liability protections to people that act in good faith to help in certain situations.

Cite your law or bull****.

By the way, no good Samaritan law requires any lay person to act. Police are also not required to act. Warren vs District of Columbia...

The closest you'll get to even being partially right are mandatory reporter laws which only apply to certain "jobs" and certain instances.

You need to learn your own laws man.

NJ Good Samaritan Act
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bi...000/578_R1.PDF

And I believe Christie vetoed this in any case...

Seriously... ignorance of the law is just wow. Especially in the Google age.
Clearly you're new to this country or you are extremely ignorant of the laws. The fact that you would choose a state that does not have a 'duty to act' law such as NJ shows how clueless you are.

Your precedent is also not in a state that has this kind of law. I know that you're new to this and are just juggling with information in which you know nothing about, but you should be aware that in law (or any argument for that matter), induction is not a valid method.

Again, you're completely wrong.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=604a.01

Maybe you were under a rock but this was a heavily televised subject in the 90s. Considering that you had all the information you needed to discover this on your own, along with Google, really shows your lack of researching skills (intellect).

The way you people argue with ignorance is mindblowing.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,760,135 times
Quote:
Anyone that knew???

Since when is knowing of a crime a crime?

Since when is not stopping a crime a crime?

I could stand by and watch you get murdered, laugh about it, film it and as long as I didn't actually have anything to do with it walk off scot free. Heck, I wouldn't even have to testify.

Not that I would do any of that but...

The boys in the video are only guilty of bad taste... As long as they aren't the perps.
I have to agree.
And remember they're teens, not adults.
I can remember a time when as a teen I really hated a person, and yes, if something bad would've happened to that person, I would have laughed about it, and made snide remarks. While it's not morally right, it's not illegal

Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM

2,873 posts, read 4,764,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Sadly, I think remember the exact case you are talking about.

Jeremy Strohmeyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's the one, yes. I find it interesting that these laws protect children based on this case, but not an adult woman who is molested and murdered.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,805,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I know in both NV and CA it is illegal not to report crimes against children (under the age of 18 in NV and under the age of 15 in CA.) Both laws were passed after a case involving a child who was molested and murdered. A man witnessed the molestation and did not report it.
Cite the law or it didn't happen...

Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 PM

^^ I don't really know, JJ. I think people figure that adults are on their own, but everyone has a soft spot for kids. I found it interesting that Nevada passed the law to include any victim under 18, yet California thought that sixteen year olds should not be included in the law.

There was another horrific case out that way (Stateline, now called Primm or maybe it was Jean, same dust blowing difference, really, a few miles apart.). A little boy was abducted from Whiskey Pete's and murdered. It's been a very long time since this happened, so I can't find too many links. The suspect (tourist) who was charged was found not guilty. The judge in the case believed that the real murderer was a witness in the courtroom. An employee of the hotel who happened to look remarkably like the guy they tried to convict was suspected but cleared based on a timeclock punch.
(Those can NEVER be made by a friend, right?) The body had also been moved around the employee housing area because the area where the poor kid was found was searched initially.

There was also judicial intimidation and maybe some political considerations. Classic Nevada justice.

The Verdict Not Guilty, the Defendant Not Satisfied - New York Times

Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Cite the law or it didn't happen...
Here ya go

'Sherrice Iverson' Bill Becomes Law - Los Angeles Times

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,805,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Interesting.

Silly law but it indeed exists.

Not seeing a single conviction of it though, in CA, since its inception.

That means either no one cares or its unenforceable or the cost to investigate it isn't worth the misdemeanor and small penalty.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM

In NV the law is Assembly Bill 267. It provides that a person who knows or should know that a violent or sexual offense has been committed against a child, and does not report that offense to a law enforcement agency within 24 hours, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

There was also an attempt to make a federal law requiring states that receiving funding under the child protection act to have similar laws requiring reporting, but it did not pass Congress.

Speaking of states that require action, VT does:

A person who knows that another is exposed to grave
physical harm, shall, to the extent that the same can be
rendered without danger or peril to himself or without
interference with important duties owed to others, give
reasonable assistance to the exposed person unless that
assistance or care is being provided by others.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

Silly law but it indeed exists.

Would you like to apologize for calling other posters ignorant for 'not knowing our laws' when you yourself do not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime