U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,765,167 times

Advertisements

Minnesota is another state with a requirement to action (much like VT's law)

In these cases, the laws are meant to require action of those on site at an emergency- that action can be as simple as calling 911 and is not required if it would put the responder at risk. If Ohio had such a law (which is does not), I wonder if it could be used in a case of witnessed rape, even if that isn't what it was intended for? Gang rape would count as an emergency, one would think.

Although there is no doubt that CA and NV have laws requiring reporting of crimes against minors, I don't believe (and I've been looking) that such laws have ever been used. I also believe that both states exclude family members from the reporting (because it would force family members to testify against each other.)

This types of laws also vary widely by country. Canada does not require a person to aid in an emergency with the exception of Quebac. Much of Europe requires response. Argentina does as well.

I'm trying to research right now if any other countries have laws requiring reporting of crimes and if so, are people actually brought up on charges because of them.

Edited to add here's an interesting article about the news coverage on the required reporting law and public response:

http://digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cg...text=lawreview

(caution, PDF)

Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,805,830 times
I also imagine that except in bad areas where reporting could lead to reprisals that people won't report.

You'd have to be pretty depraved to not report or even intervene in normal situations.

Then again, look at the videos of people not helping. Its a known phenomenon where people don't help it call 911 because they assume someone else will.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
Home | V-Day: A Global Movement to End Violence Against Women and Girls Worldwide.

End violence against women.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,922 times
Let's hear it for VT! Glad that we have a law in place!
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM

25,029 posts, read 23,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Would you like to apologize for calling other posters ignorant for 'not knowing our laws' when you yourself do not?
I guess not.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,443,897 times
Quote:
Would you like to apologize for calling other posters ignorant for 'not knowing our laws' when you yourself do not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I guess not.
He's not familiar with how things are in the US. I wouldn't expect an apology.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,805,830 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I guess not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
He's not familiar with how things are in the US. I wouldn't expect an apology.
I see the CA law which led me to a few others. I'm in VA. Its not a nanny state. I actually do know my laws.

Plus the person I originally was talking to is in NJ no? I don't see a NJ law. In fact I quoted the NJ law which is not what he thinks it is...

So I was correct.

So what do you want?

And what makes you think I'm not American???

Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,922 times
http://ezinearticles.com/?Failure-to...ime&id=2910297 ;

Should people who witness a crime face jail for failing to report it? – Cafferty File - CNN.com Blogs NOTE: Interesting comment by the judge following the article;

OHIO REVISED CODE
TITLE XXIX CRIMES - PROCEDURE
CHAPTER 2921 OFFENSES AGAINST JUSTICE AND PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
2921.22. Failure to report a crime or knowledge of a death or burn injury.

(A) No person, knowing that a felony has been or is being committed, shall knowingly fail to report such information to law enforcement authorities.
(I) Whoever violates division (A) or (B) of this section is guilty of failure to report a crime. Violation of division (A) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

__________________________________________________ __
Failure to Report a Crime [PA]

Section 1. Any person who reasonably believes that he or she has witnessed a crime identified in Section 2 below and fails to report the crime to a law enforcement officer as soon as reasonably possible commits a class A misdemeanor.

Section 2. This act shall apply to the following crimes: murder, manslaughter, rape, and aggravated assault when such assault involves a firearm.

Section 3. This act shall not apply if the perpetrator of the crime is an immediate family member of the witness.

Section 4. Nothing in this act shall be construed as to impose a duty to intervene to stop the crime or to perform any action that puts the witness in immediate physical danger.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM

582 posts, read 937,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaentendu19 View Post
I will be the most hated here, but I believe that when you involve yourself into that trade you put yourself into a position to be taken advantage of. I am in no way saying that is deserved, but I would compare it to the drug trade where most of our young men that die in this country are involved in.
You're actually right . If you live by the sword you will die by the sword. Young women should not drink anything except tap water (directly from the tap!!) if they plan to party with "friends." You don't need alcohol to have a good time.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,443,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I see the CA law which led me to a few others. I'm in VA. Its not a nanny state. I actually do know my laws.

Plus the person I originally was talking to is in NJ no? I don't see a NJ law. In fact I quoted the NJ law which is not what he thinks it is...

So I was correct.

So what do you want?

And what makes you think I'm not American???
If you reread you conversation, no one brought up NJ or CA. It was just suggested that in some states you are required to act. This is what you disputed, and this is where you were absolutely wrong.

I guess I assumed you're not American because of your lack of knowledge about the nation. It's possible that you are just uneducated.

Quote:
You both are speaking of Misprision of a Felony.
Quote:
I'm talking about the Good Samaritan laws in some states that require you to, at the minimum, call 911 when someone is in need of help. Being raped is being in need of help.
Quote:
False.

Good Samaritan laws only offer civil liability protections to people that act in good faith to help in certain situations.

Cite your law or bull****.

By the way, no good Samaritan law requires any lay person to act. Police are also not required to act. Warren vs District of Columbia...

The closest you'll get to even being partially right are mandatory reporter laws which only apply to certain "jobs" and certain instances.

You need to learn your own laws man.
Quote:
Clearly you're new to this country or you are extremely ignorant of the laws.

Again, you're completely wrong.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=604a.01
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime