Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Very sadly, her profession probably WOULD be called into question during the court case. There is an absolute culture of blaming rape victims and even of suggesting that certain 'kinds' of woman can't be raped. And then we wonder why women hesitate to report rape.

I think anyone who knew of the girl's rape in the original story should be prosecuted and that their punishment should be more hefty than a slap on the wrist. Much heftier. I want them all off the street.
Anyone that knew???

Since when is knowing of a crime a crime?

Since when is not stopping a crime a crime?

I could stand by and watch you get murdered, laugh about it, film it and as long as I didn't actually have anything to do with it walk off scot free. Heck, I wouldn't even have to testify.

Not that I would do any of that but...

The boys in the video are only guilty of bad taste... As long as they aren't the perps.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Anyone that knew???

I could stand by and watch you get murdered, laugh about it, film it and as long as I didn't actually have anything to do with it walk off scot free. Heck, I wouldn't even have to testify.

The boys in the video are only guilty of bad taste... As long as they aren't the perps.
I believe in some states you may face a small fine if you witness a crime and do not report. Regardless, I said I personally think there should be a punishment, not that one currently exists. Failing to report witnessing a crime may not be legally punishable at this time, but I think it should be.
Failing to report witnessing a violent crime is not simply bad taste...it is an appalling moral failing.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Anyone that knew???

As early as 1994 in some states. It was a big televised event...

Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I believe in some states you may face a small fine if you witness a crime and do not report. Regardless, I said I personally think there should be a punishment, not that one currently exists. Failing to report witnessing a crime may not be legally punishable at this time, but I think it should be.
Failing to report witnessing a violent crime is not simply bad taste...it is an appalling moral failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As early as 1994 in some states. It was a big televised event...

You both are speaking of Misprision of a Felony.

Its a federal law and requires active concealment of the crime. Simply not reporting a crime is not punishable.

I agree it might be morally reprehensible but that is irrelevant. It also might save your life depending on the crime and criminal.

If cops don't have to save or protect you good luck making the case that civilians do...

Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:

Its a federal law and requires active concealment of the crime. Simply not reporting a crime is not punishable.

I agree it might be morally reprehensible but that is irrelevant. It also might save your life depending on the crime and criminal.

If cops don't have to save or protect you good luck making the case that civilians do...
Sure makes them A-holes though. Really, how hard is it to slip outside and use a phone to call the cops?

There was a movie called "The Accused" with Jodie Foster that focused on this subject. The young guy didn't actively stop the gang rape, but he slipped outside and used a payphone to call it in. Disturbing film.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:

You're absolutely wrong.

I'm talking about the Good Samaritan laws in some states that require you to, at the minimum, call 911 when someone is in need of help. Being raped is being in need of help.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
What??? You never heard of them? Been living under a rock???

Just wiki Anonymous.
lol...No such thing as a leaderless group. That alone puts their anonymity in jeopardy.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM

859 posts, read 705,742 times
I didn't get this.
Is she dead ??
Are these mens drunk ? if so.
How bad!
Why do people drink Alcohol ? If there is a horrible things such crime will happen. they don't need to drink these things.
replace it with other drinks and make your life more safe and comfort.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're absolutely wrong.

I'm talking about the Good Samaritan laws in some states that require you to, at the minimum, call 911 when someone is in need of help. Being raped is being in need of help.
False.

Good Samaritan laws only offer civil liability protections to people that act in good faith to help in certain situations.

Cite your law or bull****.

By the way, no good Samaritan law requires any lay person to act. Police are also not required to act. Warren vs District of Columbia...

The closest you'll get to even being partially right are mandatory reporter laws which only apply to certain "jobs" and certain instances.

You need to learn your own laws man.

NJ Good Samaritan Act
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A1000/578_R1.PDF

And I believe Christie vetoed this in any case...

Seriously... ignorance of the law is just wow. Especially in the Google age.

Last edited by AnonymouseX; 01-05-2013 at 07:52 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
I know in both NV and CA it is illegal not to report crimes against children (under the age of 18 in NV and under the age of 15 in CA.) Both laws were passed after a case involving a child who was molested and murdered. A man witnessed the molestation and did not report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime