U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
 
6,981 posts, read 4,454,261 times
Reputation: 5141

Advertisements

Lanza and Holmes seem to have a few things in common....they were highly intelligent and their dad's seem to be 'important' people.

My question would be why isnt the media 'digging' for more dirt on these stories? Where's Geraldo Rivera when you need him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,294,802 times
Reputation: 17659
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Lanza and Holmes seem to have a few things in common....they were highly intelligent and their dad's seem to be 'important' people.

My question would be why isnt the media 'digging' for more dirt on these stories? Where's Geraldo Rivera when you need him.
They were both also at the age where some mental illnesses, particularly schizophrenia, start to manifest themselves. Occam's Razor, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM
 
12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Reputation: 19088
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They were both also at the age where some mental illnesses, particularly schizophrenia, start to manifest themselves. Occam's Razor, people.
It's a common factor with all these mass shootings - young troubled males with some mental or emotional issues that suddenly boil up in their early 20's into some violent outburst. It's uncanny, almost every single one. It's also why preventive measures should not be focused on the tools used in these crimes, but on the individual.
It's called "finding the root cause of the problem". Standard problem solving methodology.

Most of the people in this forum are focused on inconsistent press reports. You have to understand, their business is not reporting the news accurately, per se, but to make money. People seem to think they are there to fulfil some honest public service. No. They don't make money by reporting news accurately, they make money by selling advertisement primarily, which is based on viewership. The incentive to pick and choose reporting - to include the most sensational and exploitive aspects, is there, because that attracts viewers. Clarifying innacurate initial reporting is not part of their agenda, because it just confuses readers and viewers and they stop watching. On top of that we have to deal with the biases of personal agendas of reporters (and, to address a previous post, reporting on mental issues and scizophrenia is not as "sexy" as dicussing so-called assault weapons in news reporting). In conclusion - there is no conspiracy here, just bad reporting.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-17-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,307,773 times
Reputation: 3579
There is evidence that Holmes was suffering from some sort of mental illness. There is no evidence that Lanza was suffering from some sort of mental illness, unless you count Asperger's which I don't. Normally when these types of shootings happen, surveillance video of the incident and the suspect are released to the public in short order. Considering the security system in place at Sandy Hook which required people to be buzzed in; there had to be a camera. Where is the footage of Lanza supposedly shooting his way into the school? Where is there even one photo of the broken glass at the doorway? If the news likes reporting sensationalist stuff then why haven't they shown any of this. If the shooter is dead then this will never go to trial so there's no reason for the police to not release information. The inconsistencies and holes in this case go far beyond poor reporting. When the government uses an incident like this one to systematically dismantle constitutional rights, people should be critical of the evidence, especially when it contains so many holes and inconsistencies. Anyone studying history knows that governments in the past have carried out false flag attacks in order to further an agenda. It's not as far fetched as it sounds. It's not disrespectful to the victims to question things when things don't add up. It's disrespectful and dangerous not to ask questions.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent" ~ Thomas Jefferson
"This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears he is a protector. ~Plato
"The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience" ~Albert Camus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
 
12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Reputation: 19088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
There is evidence that Holmes was suffering from some sort of mental illness. There is no evidence that Lanza was suffering from some sort of mental illness, unless you count Asperger's which I don't. Normally when these types of shootings happen, surveillance video of the incident and the suspect are released to the public in short order. Considering the security system in place at Sandy Hook which required people to be buzzed in; there had to be a camera. Where is the footage of Lanza supposedly shooting his way into the school? Where is there even one photo of the broken glass at the doorway? If the news likes reporting sensationalist stuff then why haven't they shown any of this.
All easily explained via dozens of scenarios that don't involve a "conspiracy" - cameras not working, no cameras at all, camera footage confiscated (likely), plain lazy news reporting, school board refusting to release it, families requesting it not released, violent nature of footage to graphic to publicize...Same with the broken glass.
There are reports that Holmes was emotionally disturbed - somewhat autistic, Asperger's, etc., depending on what family member or family friend is asked. Apparantly it was never professionally diagnosed so we may never know the exact nature of his mental illness. Suffice to say, shooting up a school is a sign of mental illness.

The nature of consipracy theories has been discussed before. It's a physcological need, an urge, by people to create a larger reason or sense of purpose for tradgedies that are otherwise too simple and tragic to comprehend. JFK assassination, 911, The Titanic, etc. It helps people cope, I know. But there is no conspiracy. If it helps you cope, then run with it. But you aren't convincing anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,307,773 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
All easily explained via dozens of scenarios that don't involve a "conspiracy" - cameras not working, no cameras at all, camera footage confiscated (likely), plain lazy news reporting, school board refusting to release it, violent nature of footage to graphic to publicize...Same with the broken glass.
Cameras weren't working that day? Unlikely. No cameras? Not possibile because that is how that type of security system works. I know this because its the same security used at my child's school. Camera footage confiscated? Maybe but in these types of cases, the footage is almost always released shortly after the shooting and since there will be no criminal charges filed, there is no reason to keep this out of the media. Too violent? Video of a gunman shooting out a window is not too violent for the media to show on TV, neither is a photo of broken glass. Have you watched the news lately? Lazy reporting? Is that acceptable?

Quote:
There are reports that Holmes was emotionally disturbed - somewhat autistic, Asperger's, etc., depending on what family member or family friend is asked. Apparantly it was never professionally diagnosed so we may never know the exact nature of his mental illness. Suffice to say, shooting up a school is a sign of mental illness.
I'm guessing you mean Lanza when you say Holmes. There are rumors that he had aspergers and that's all. There was one report from his (fake) uncle that he had a personality disorder and was taking a psychiatric drug but the fake uncle turned out to be a random crazy person with no ties to Lanza (Weird news: Man who claimed to be Adam Lanza’s uncle has also sued Justin Bieber - Salon.com).
So the evidence that he had a mental illness or was disturbed is nothing more then rumor. Rumors are not proof. What motive did this guy have to murder 26 people at a school chosen at random?

Quote:
The nature of consipracy theories has been discussed before. It's a physcological need, an urge, by people to create a larger reason or sense of purpose for tradgedies that are otherwise too simple and tragic to comprehend. JFK assassination, 911, The Titanic, etc. It helps people cope, I know. But there is no conspiracy.
That is a nice justification and a nice try to dismiss conspiracy theories but there is no truth to it. Conspiracies are defined as an agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act. We know that conspiracies exist and are carried out everyday by criminals. Theories are set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena. If you look to history you will see that conspiracies have been carried out by government officials in order to advance an agenda. There is nothing wrong with questioning things when things don't add up. That is called, critical thinking. I wish more people excercised it.

If the Sandy Hook shooting had one, two or maybe even three odd inconsistentices or holes then those things could easily be dismissed but when the inconsistencies and holes are so numerous, it's plausible that this could have been a set up of sorts. I know that most people don't want to believe that anyone could plan such an awful thing but again, know your history and you will know that this type of thing is far from unheard of especially when a government is trying to further an agenda involving taking away rights in the name of security.

Is there any evidence at all that Adam Lanza was even at the school? He supposedly had his brother's ID on him. The same brother who hadn't seen him in at least 2 years. The car that was supposedly his mother's and the one with the rifle in the trunk was registered to a convicted felon unrelated to Lanza or his family. The only evidence that we have of Lanza being the shooter that day is the news telling us so.

ETA: One more thing regarding this comment:
Quote:
The nature of consipracy theories has been discussed before. It's a physcological need, an urge, by people to create a larger reason or sense of purpose for tradgedies that are otherwise too simple and tragic to comprehend. JFK assassination, 911, The Titanic, etc. It helps people cope, I know. But there is no conspiracy
I would MUCH rather believe that the Sandy Hook shooting was the random work of a lone, crazed gunman. That is MUCH less frightening then the idea of a government conspiracy and coverup. If it was a lone gunman then I wish the media would do their job and actually look into all of the holes. I'd absolutely love for them to prove all of the conspiracies wrong. Instead they waste their time with stories trying to psychoanalyze and discredit anyone who does not buy the official story.

Last edited by Dorthy; 01-17-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,294,802 times
Reputation: 17659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Cameras weren't working that day? Unlikely. No cameras? Not possibile because that is how that type of security system works.
Not necessarily true. At my last place of employment, people had to be buzzed in or use an access card. There wasn't a single camera on the premises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,307,773 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Not necessarily true. At my last place of employment, people had to be buzzed in or use an access card. There wasn't a single camera on the premises.
Could the person buzzing you in see the door? If they couldn't see you then how did they know who was at the door? Did they just ask who was at the door? That's not very good security.

At Sandy Hook, no one knew the shooter had entered the building until he was already inside so the door could not have been within sight of the person buzzing people in hence the need for some type of camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
 
13,612 posts, read 10,294,802 times
Reputation: 17659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Could the person buzzing you in see the door? If they couldn't see you then how did they know who was at the door? Did they just ask who was at the door? That's not very good security.

At Sandy Hook, no one knew the shooter had entered the building until he was already inside so the door could not have been within sight of the person buzzing people in hence the need for some type of camera.
No. It was sort of a "knock, knock. Who's there?" sort of scenario. I agree it was stupid set up, but I always suspect incompetence before conspiracy. Your mileage may vary, but I've seen enough incompetence in this world, that it is always my primary suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
 
12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Reputation: 19088
Should I continue this silly subject? aw why not...OK, so what is the motive here - some government false flag to take over liberties by shooting dozens of kids and then doing some mind control/brain washing trick on the hundreds of first responders, reporters, and parents that were involved?
If so then why don't they do this Jedi mind trick on the rest of government since you have almost the entire congress, both democrats and republicans, opposing (thankfully and rightfully so) the silly nonsensical "assualt weapons ban".

But you are aware of what you percieve of as "proof" of government consipracy, but are simply open questions and/or innacuracies. The fact that you don't have any video footage is not "proof" by any stretch, it's simply a blank spot. The fact that there was some guy running through the woods is not "proof" - it's an unknown. The fact that the local Barney Fife told a reporter this or that is not proof either. It's just another blank spot. Nor is it circumstantial evidence to build up to conclude anthing other than that how life unfolds is not some nice neat package where all your questions are revealed. I love people questioning government, and reporters for that matter. But to take it to silly extremes is just crazy.

As the person above said, when police, government, and reporters are involved, expect this in this order - disorder, confusion, incompentence, negligence, human errors...and way way down the list on the simplest and basic level only - conspiracy (and conspiracies quickly unravel due to the first items listed).

Last edited by Dd714; 01-17-2013 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top