U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,928,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita82 View Post
Phil. Thanks for the info, you are very knowledgeable. I'm am almost certain because his family and friends have told me. I am uncomfortable since I am around this person often enough, but not by choice.
If I were you I would keep any inquiries about his warrant to myself and not share any info with anyone other than police.... for your own protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM

90 posts, read 188,962 times
Good advice. And yeah for sure.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,662,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Wouldn't photo ID, date of birth and a middle name or initial assist an officer or someone trying to run down a warrant on the internet?? I forgot to mention, there's usually a photo included with online warrants.
Anyhow, you do have a point. I can remember a neighbors son who ended up in the county prison for a few days, not for anything serious, but he did give a false name....he was actually an underage juvenile.
All that would be wonderful stuff. However, this may sound weird, I've ran into alot of people who look alike and have the same names. I know that is hard to believe, however it is true.

I guess the bottom line is there really is no surefire method for positive identification, without fingerprints and/or DNA.

I've arrested several persons who had the same name, date of birth and, believe it or not, ADDRESS as the person on the warrant. Only to fingerprint them and found out they are NOT the person(s) on the warrant.

Big sigh. No system is perfect.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:14 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,662,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I wish LVMPD had as much respect for "innocent until proven guilty" as you do. When are you going to move to Vegas and run for Sheriff?
I can understand this. However, I've made my share of mistakes and they weren't pretty. I don't arrest anyone with solid and I do mean solid probable cause. If it aint there, I don't make it up. I've always taught my trainee's the someway.

In so far as Vegas? Actually I'll be there Sunday for the upcoming Shot Show. Sheriff? Nope. But I am giving a presentation to the Government in Thailand on Use of Force. Should be pretty interesting.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,323,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I can understand this. However, I've made my share of mistakes and they weren't pretty. I don't arrest anyone with solid and I do mean solid probable cause. If it aint there, I don't make it up. I've always taught my trainee's the someway.

In so far as Vegas? Actually I'll be there Sunday for the upcoming Shot Show. Sheriff? Nope. But I am giving a presentation to the Government in Thailand on Use of Force. Should be pretty interesting.
We've had some scandals out here created by a few bad apples. One guy not only got a warrant for the wrong guy and blew him away in his own home, but was later found to have documented items seized in a raid before the raid happened. (It never ended up occurring at all). He still has a job with Metro, but at least they got him off the street.

The SHOT convention should be interesting this year with all the gun-control talk out there following the incidents in Colorado and Connecticut. Enjoy your visit. Let me know if you need any dining or entertainment recommendations.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,436,328 times
Quote:
Are arrest warrants public record? Is there a way to get this information preferably free? Are the police lax about catching up with people with warrants depending on the severity of the crime?

Mugshots.com is free.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,596,060 times
Quote:
Are arrest warrants public record? Is there a way to get this information preferably free? Are the police lax about catching up with people with warrants depending on the severity of the crime?
They are public records. Some states have search features on their websites that are free to use. If you tell me what states you believe the warrant was issued in, I can check the websites for you and then give you a link to them.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM

21,542 posts, read 14,425,254 times
Where I live, the arrest warrants are public record, but anyone who wants to look at them must do so in person, after signing in. In some cases involving juveniles, either as criminal or victim, the records are sealed.

I'm not sure if enquiries here are done by computer inside the clerk's office or by searching through the log sheets and other paperwork. Old records of settled court cases may be on microfilm as well. Technology is changing a lot of this faster every year, but a lot of it is privileged and will never be posted openly on the internet. Info like this usually goes through encrypted law enforcement networks that are unavailable to the public at large.

For sure, if you have a serious concern, going to the station and talking to an officer would probably be a very good first step. That's what they are there for. I wouldn't do an inquiry over the net or by phone, especially cell phone. Face to face is the safest for you, I believe.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM

21,369 posts, read 21,941,997 times
You could bang loudly on his door in the middle of the night and call out "Police" in a loud voice. Then hide behind a bush and wait to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime