Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM

90 posts, read 213,518 times

Advertisements

Are arrest warrants public record? Is there a way to get this information preferably free? Are the police lax about catching up with people with warrants depending on the severity of the crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita82 View Post
Are arrest warrants public record? Is there a way to get this information preferably free? Are the police lax about catching up with people with warrants depending on the severity of the crime?
It depends upon the state, county, and jurisdiction. This is going to be a long winded reply:

Just because someone has an arrest warrant, does NOT mean he/she did the crime they are accused of. There are hundreds of issues here. How many people in said state have the same name, date of birth, etc? Could the arrest warrant be for John Smith? Or John H Smith? John R Smith? I could go on with such information. How many people have been released from prison, for a crime they didn't commit or were found not guilty of?

Therefore, most information in this regard, at least in California, is fairly privileged. At my agency, we do not release information about arrest warrants to people over the phone, just because of this reason. All of a sudden, Joe Smith is being accused by his co-workers of being a child molester, when it was someone else. There is a HUGE civil liability issue here.

Now, if you are SURE John Jones has an arrest warrant and, moreover, you KNOW where he is, by all means, call the local jurisdiction where Jones is, give them his name, date of birth, etc and WHERE he is. They can decide, based upon an awful lot of things, whether or not go arrest him. However, if you are not positive he has a warrant and you cannot be sure, through public data bases, etc, be very careful. People can get get killed and/or hurt in such warrant services.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM

Phil. Thanks for the info, you are very knowledgeable. I'm am almost certain because his family and friends have told me. I am uncomfortable since I am around this person often enough, but not by choice.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Phil. Thanks for the info, you are very knowledgeable. I'm am almost certain because his family and friends have told me. I am uncomfortable since I am around this person often enough, but not by choice.
The simple answer is this: Find a friend who is a cop. Have them run this person and find out for sure. Then, tell them where this person is.

Its not all that hard to find a cop who will do this for you. Especially on the street. Just walk up to them and ask. Just be prepared with the persons name and date of birth. And any other identifying marks. Tattoo's, etc. Remember, there are MANY "John Smith's" in the world. The police need to be sure they are going after the right "John Smith." Get as much information as you can and just walk up to the next cop you see in the donut shop (Yes, a joke there) and ask them.

Its happened several times to me. The issue I look at, when you ask the question is why? MANY times its the ex-wife/girlfriend who has some sort of vendetta. IF the warrant service qoes sideways, its not looked well upon the general public. This is just my two cents. You don't kick in doors and knock the hell out of people for minor misdemeanor arrest warrant.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:35 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Quote:
Arrest warrants are public record in my state, you can try accessing online through your State government site.

It may take some searching. My state site includes the offense or reason for an open warrant. The reason can be not appearing in court, unpaid traffic violations and the list goes on.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Arrest warrants are public record in my state, you can try accessing online through your State government site.

It may take some searching. My state site includes the offense or reason for an open warrant. The reason can be not appearing in court, unpaid traffic violations and the list goes on.
Yes my friend, yet, it is still the problem and issue of:

Which "John Smith" is it? You have to confirm who's warrant is who's. So, I think my next door neighbor is "shady." Oh hell, lets run him in our data base. BAM. He shows up. He is discriminated against, et al and warrant belongs to a different "John Smith." Are YOU going to pay for him to be arrested and locked up for weeks, months, and years? Nope you won't. Yet, you have problem giving away "public record." Which maybe wrong.

Ignorance is truly bliss.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

Which "John Smith" is it? You have to confirm who's warrant is who's. So, I think my next door neighbor is "shady." Oh hell, lets run him in our data base. BAM. He shows up. He is discriminated against, et al and warrant belongs to a different "John Smith." Are YOU going to pay for him to be arrested and locked up for weeks, months, and years? Nope you won't. Yet, you have problem giving away "public record." Which maybe wrong.

I wish LVMPD had as much respect for "innocent until proven guilty" as you do. When are you going to move to Vegas and run for Sheriff?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Quote:

Arrest warranst are public information, so they are easy enough to check on if you know what court issued the warrant. There are so many active arrest warrants out there that almost no attempt is made to find your run-of-mill suspect.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Most sites I've seen are pay for it sites. This person is no stranger to the law. Has spent a good amount of time in the slammer.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

Wouldn't photo ID, date of birth and a middle name or initial assist an officer or someone trying to run down a warrant on the internet?? I forgot to mention, there's usually a photo included with online warrants.
Anyhow, you do have a point. I can remember a neighbors son who ended up in the county prison for a few days, not for anything serious, but he did give a false name....he was actually an underage juvenile.

Last edited by virgode; 01-07-2013 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime