U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,153,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
A mistrial would be terrible with all the money spent thus far in addition if they end up with a hung jury. Lord a'mercy if they have to do it all over again. The poor taxpayers of Arizona will be footing these bills I don't know if there is a spending ceiling. I would think a basic budget was laid out in the beginning. I recall in the Casey Anthony trial, Jose Baez was always asking for more money.

Why does ALV make $300 an hour on the stand and Dr. Samuels with a Phd and he is a Psychologist, a higher education than ALV only made $250.00 an hour?

I just wonder what Arizona pays the jurors. I know they are not providing the jury lunch. They either bring a bag lunch or go out on their own to eat. I guess a jury has to be sequestered before the State provides their meals. It seems no one wanted to feed Arias lunch either.

This jury needs to get 'pain, suffering and mental anguish' payments too.
AZ doesn't feed the jurors? WOW. They make a whooping $10 or $12/day. NOTHING.

I asked that same question earlier about why was Samuels paid $250 and ALV $300, given their professional training and experience testifying.

I can't even comprehend the thought of a mistrial.............the costs, the time, who now hasn't seen/heard more evidence, and how many more months of Nurmi in prime time?

And what would they do, create the "Jodi Arias Study Group for Expert Testimony" to find two that could handle cross-examination? I can't even think of what experts would cost, IFFFFFFFF, anyone were willing to risk their professional reputation on ARIAS' remarks, journals etc. (and not confirm with others).

I think this trial should just end. It's so twisted this far, I can't even comprehend how the jury can discuss all this stuff.

I think they will give her life in prison and get out of there, when it's their time to review the case. Then she can appeal for 25 or more years.

Is Nurmi growing a beard? I haven't seen any tv/pics for about a week and I saw quick glance today (it may have been a glare, I don't know), but it looked like he was starting to grow a beard to keep himself busy. And Willmott's laugh is nerves, IMHO. She seemed to lack the self confidence so many AZ attorneys said she brought to the trail. She trains attorneys so they are Certified for Death Penalty cases. I was struck today how different both the DT looked compared to a week ago (and it wasn't about wanting to be matching clothes like ARIAS).

MSR

Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
OH MY .... the eyeball defense. If the judge allows this witness with his expert eyeball testimony ... we have 16 jurors left to sit through this. If anyone has taken the Rorschach (inkblot) test that is what the enlarged eyeball looks like ... what do you see? The court will have 16 jurors seeing different things.

The Defense Team is wasting the court's time ... I realize they will use the mistrial requests in an appeal if Arias is convicted. But I think if convicted Arias will appeal first for ineffective counsel.
CW -

I agree 1000% and I think it will be Nurmi's idea/suggestion first to ARIAS she needed "more experienced lawyers, so he'll just back out now."

Hearing the state's psychologist was actually useful today (at least the small part of what I heard)for me. And I do think she's impressive for her years in practice. Willmott is so confused about that training process - couldn't keep fellowship, resident, psychiatrist, psychologist. I couldn't take listening to HER

Does anyone know if ARIAS' brain has ever been imaged? I'm not kidding. I'm no ARIAS fan, but I do wonder about the difference in her I.Q. testing vs. what sounded like were some functional or performance testing, or whatever assessments were used to arrive at her functional level.

She is a more frightening prospect to me now, given what I heard about her testing (and it was funny to hear the state's psychologist rattle off the names when Samuels stammered through one, but I saw both DT lawyers write down she hadn't administer the specific PTSD test he did- maybe cuz not everyone thinks it's that great). Anyway, she is far more frightening to me now knowing what the state psychologist testified too. Why didn't DT get another psychologist in there to just repeat those same tests?

I really think these two (DT) are severely lacking when it comes to mental health, testing and who does what to assess patients. Probably Nurmi knows where to get a plethysmograph expert, but otherwise doesn't use many mental health experts.

ARIAS has always reminded me of a Ted Bundy. If her I.Q. is that high yet she is arrested emotionally as a teenager, she'll always think things through she'd like to do to others and then behave like a teen when she can't cope. Who knows what would make her snap in the future.

MSR

Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Haha...Jodi had some power over others, but she has run out of her options and it must be scary for her to be closer to the verdict each day and minute...that alone is good to know since Travis had no defense and was a lame sheep that was slaughtered because Jodi made sure his feet were wet so he was basically harmless. It takes a "special" person to come up with something like this and listening to the parents during their interigation, is all telling!

Very sad for every one involved except for Jodi! She will get what she deserves and I hope we will not hear from her again like Scott Peterson...but probably some crazy person will keep asking her to marry, visit her, etc...but that will be the most she will get out of her remaining days on this earth.
Isn't her "friend" - the former jail mate kind of serving that roll right now with ARIAS? Visiting her, or paying for ARIAS phone calls then tweeting etc.

I agree we have to remember Travis in all of this. People who are delayed with low I.Q.'s don't kill people. I can't imagine what his family and friends must feel....then to have ALV talk to one.....wow, I think ALV, may not be in such hot demand as much now. Everyone knows witnesses don't talk to the families!

MSR

Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
AZ doesn't feed the jurors? WOW. They make a whooping $10 or $12/day. NOTHING.
The standard pay rate for the jurors is $12 plus mileage, but Maricopa County has a "lengthy trial fund" to reimburse lost income up to $300 a day.

Jury Services - Frequently Asked Questions

Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,301,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

Wonder if Chaney Mason has any thoughts about changing gun laws since I remember him talking about the guns they had around when the Anthony trial was going on. I don't know what he's doing driving her around. Is he still practicing? Maybe he retired; if so perhaps either as community service or maybe a church thing to help bring Casey along in life, maybe Chaney is going to "guide her" often to keep her out of jail ? LOL......

MSR
Cheney Mason needs to adopt Casey ... her bankruptcy lawyer is court appointed David L. Schrader and the court appointed bankruptcy trustee is Stephen Meininger. In the Zenaida Gonzalez case Anthony has a court appointed lawyer. So Cheney is just hanging in there for the photo ops or lapdances.

Yes ... you are correct ... the Casey Anthony trial made Jose famous. But I don't think the Arias trial is going to do much for Willmott and Nurmi. Nurmi sleeps with his eyes open lazing back in his chair. In addition Nurmi picks his nose. He does wear cool socks. LOL

But ........ then again who knows ... what if they win this case.

All the time that has been spent in the courtroom the jury could be forming a bond with Arias ... Travis Alexander can't be present. Yesterday Willmott objected to Juan Martinez referring to Samuels as Mr. Samuels instead of Doctor Samuels. After that Juan complied with the "Dr." Juan always refers to Jodi as Ms Arias and Travis as Mr. Alexander or he calls Arias the defendant. Today I notice Willmott always says Jodi ... never Ms Arias ... also Travis ... never Mr. Alexander. So she is making it personal for the jury.

I guess Arias is sick again ... three times court stopped due to Arias not feeling well ... court is over for the day ... resumes in the morning at 9:30 AM Arizona Time.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,301,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
The standard pay rate for the jurors is $12 plus mileage, but Maricopa County has a "lengthy trial fund" to reimburse lost income up to $300 a day.

Jury Services - Frequently Asked Questions
WOW our $19 a day plus mileage is big money then. At the end of the trial they give you a statement to present to your employer indicating the amount paid the juror. My bossman never bothered with deducting my jury pay from my salary.

There is so much notoriety surrounding the Arias trial I am sure it's difficult for the jury members to go out of the building during their lunch break.

I like Dr. Janeen DeMarte she is doing good on the stand better than Samuels or ALV. She is holding her own against Willmott ... but Willmott is getting a few points in.

Arias did not look at Dr. D at all yesterday when Juan questioned her. What in the world is she writing ... all day yesterday writing. Today, Arias has her hair pulled back behind her ears ... had her listening ears on I guess. As this trial winds down I think we might see Arias getting sicker and sicker and sicker.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:36 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,976,736 times
I can't believe how long this trial is. There's no way all murder trials are this long; if they were the court system would be even more back-logged than it is. It seems unfair that notorious trials like this are so long, and most murder trials last a week or two, if that. Unequal justice.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,652 times
I believe Jodi was told to fake a migraine today because Willmott was woefully unprepared and sinking like the Titanic. Trying to challenge the witness on things she clearly knows nothing about. Wasting hours going through her CV with a fine-toothed comb. Umm-ing and ooh-ing while she tried to think of another question. She was so desperate to make Dr. DeMarte slip up or lose her cool, and it just wasn't going to happen. That's what you get when you have a real professional on the stand who knows her stuff! I kept hoping someone would yank Willmott "off-stage" with a cane like in old vaudeville shows. Wonder what the DT is going to try to pull tomorrow.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,170,411 times
Is it acceptable courtroom practice to stop a trial because the accused isn't feeling well ? Seems pretty lame to me, a person could claim to be sick a lot and drag a case on forever.............oh wait, that is exactly what is happening here.

This is really a strange trial.

Don

Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Is it acceptable courtroom practice to stop a trial because the accused isn't feeling well ? Seems pretty lame to me, a person could claim to be sick a lot and drag a case on forever.............oh wait, that is exactly what is happening here.

This is really a strange trial.

Don
Your wonderful understatement, Don! "This is a really strange trial."

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime