U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 PM

17,652 posts, read 11,220,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
That's funny, Don. I can't write what I originally thought as it would probably be removed by moderators. But, I think it's safe to assume you won't volunteer for that duty.....

MSR
Hehe, yeah, I realize Jodi is known for being a lot of fun (if you get my drift ) but when she starts snapping pictures it is time to get out of the tub.

I bet all of her previous boyfriends have gotten weak in the knees thinking what happened to Travis could have very well happened to them.

Don

Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,020,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Interesting post Trinity1111. What I do think they have in common are dates that even overlap ( I think HLN has that). Crimes committed or key evidence or decisions on exactly the same dates.

More importantly, I think we are observing what two juries decide about two young women who were responsible for the lives of others ending due to their actions- IMHO.

Can we honestly say males would be treated the same? I honestly don't think so but am interested what others think.

Mostly, I believe many of us have seen injustice in the courts starting with that infamous O J Simpson case.

Maybe a new generation now want to be lawyers seeing OJ's result getting his trial out of the Brentwood area to a LA court where different jurors could be called to serve.

I think many of us are nervous not knowing what a fatigued jury will do and did the defense team use tactics Baez used? I believe so.... Multiple theories, throw the family under th 18 wheeler to paint a disadvantaged ba kvround etc. In that sense I think many of us don't know how the jury in AZ will or won't factor in their decision.

The one thing I'll say for Jose Baez is he had clearer boundaries with Anthony than this crew does with ARIAS or Simpson's legal team had with him.

IMHO, the two trials have a lot in common when it comes to the thoughts, beliefs and fears many of us have about future trials.

MSR

Great points. Also, Jodi and Casey are both brunettes.(at the time of trial anyway).lol

Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,761,855 times
This case is nothing like Casey or OJ's, though. Casey and OJ never admitted they had killed their victims. OJ was famous and wealthy. Nobody was able to determine how Caylee died so there was a lot more room for reasonable doubt. Both of them had lawyers who may have been sleazy, but still came off a lot more competent than the two clowns defending Jodi. Martinez never lost a case and he has put a quasi-attractive white female on death row before.

There's very little room for reasonable doubt here, imo, because Jodi's admitted to killing Travis and her defense is built on a story flimsier than a house of cards. Personally, if I was a juror and went into this trial never having heard of Jodi before, I would have had my mind made up by Day Two just listening to her conversations with Detective Flores. The extent of overkill and her demeanor in those tapes doesn't jibe with someone who decides two years later that she's going to claim self defense and that it wasn't ninjas, after all. Yes, it took her two years to come up with that story and even now, five years after the murder, the story still makes no sense.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,174,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
This case is nothing like Casey or OJ's, though. Casey and OJ never admitted they had killed their victims. OJ was famous and wealthy. Nobody was able to determine how Caylee died so there was a lot more room for reasonable doubt. Both of them had lawyers who may have been sleazy, but still came off a lot more competent than the two clowns defending Jodi. Martinez never lost a case and he has put a quasi-attractive white female on death row before.

There's very little room for reasonable doubt here, imo, because Jodi's admitted to killing Travis and her defense is built on a story flimsier than a house of cards. Personally, if I was a juror and went into this trial never having heard of Jodi before, I would have had my mind made up by Day Two just listening to her conversations with Detective Flores. The extent of overkill and her demeanor in those tapes doesn't jibe with someone who decides two years later that she's going to claim self defense and that it wasn't ninjas, after all. Yes, it took her two years to come up with that story and even now, five years after the murder, the story still makes no sense.
I don't disagree with what you wrote fruitlassis, and you are 100 % correct about ARIAS being the only one to admit she killed her victim. That being said, the jury still has to decide ARIAS' guilt and punishment. In that sense I see this like the Anthony trial.

My original comments are based on responses I've heard, observations etc. of society at large just not the specifics of each trial. There are many who believe if ARIAS were a male this trial would have ended in Jan.

As for the various attorneys involved that should probably be a different thread as it is in so many other Internet discussions. One point about this crew is they were court appointed compared to the other trials with private counsel. I think Martinez is an expert beyond what most can comprehend. Maybe Nurmi should be taking notes like a law student vs. picking his nose on tv when Martinez is questioning a witness.

Maybe AZ or Federal laws will change to state attorneys must not dress so similarly to their clients day after day. I'm very serious about this as I believe Willmott has tried subtle things to confuse the jury.

Finally, I'd like to see an MMPI on Anthony. These two have some very similar behaviors and patterns, IMHO.

MSR

Old 04-20-2013, 02:10 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,040,227 times
I just finished watching Nancy Grace wrap up of week 16..Yes week 16! I seem to remember the OJ trial lasting months too. I thought the Prosecution witness this week was good,and even stood up pretty well in cross. This whole trial puts a bad taste in my mouth. I mean Travis was no angel and had skeletons in his closet,but then again who among us doesn't? He did not deserve to die. He strung along the wrong chick that is for sure. I predict we will have a verdict the first week of May. For me it is between LWOP or the death Penalty...In the USA females usally don't get death. We will see. just want that smurk wiped off her face!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,767,200 times
At this point, I am surprised jurors are not dropping like flies. There really needs to be some review of our justice system, do trials need to last ad infinitum? At what point is there too much irrelevant information? Too many 'expert witnesses', and too much conflicting information.

If I was a juror, this would be it for me. I have a life, a job, I travel, have a family, commitments, who could be on a jury this long, or longer,?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 PM

17,652 posts, read 11,220,636 times
You are right about the toll it must take on jurors to be involved with a trial that drags on for this long. I would be climbing the walls, especially if it were one where the jury was sequestered with no outside contact. It would be like being in prison almost.

We have another trial down here in Florida that will be starting soon, I guess, the Travon Martin shooting case. That one looks like it will be another looooooong trial and on that one I bet the jury is sequestered because of the racial aspect to the case. By all indicators it is going to be a messy, ugly trial.

Don

Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM

39,591 posts, read 47,849,351 times
A study in which jurors in long (more than 20 days) and short (1 to 6 days) federal trials (albeit civil rather than criminal) were interviewed found a number of disquieting differences. Jurors in the long trials were substantially more likely to be retired or unemployed and substantially less likely to have a college education. Nearly three-fourths of the jurors in the lengthy trials said the evidence was �difficult� or �very difficult� to understand, compared to 30 percent who reported the same in short trials. Of course the length of the trial might be correlated with the complexity of the evidence, and the latter might be the befuddling force. But this would not adequately explain why twice as many jurors in long than in short trials reported their attention wandering during the presentation of evidence either �occasionally� or �quite a lot,� and why more than twice as many (amounting to almost half of all the jurors who were interviewed) found it difficult or very difficult to understand how they were supposed to reach a verdict. Joe S. Cecil et al., Jury Service in Lengthy Civil Trials 1, 9, 11�13, 28
Long jury trials - PointOfLaw Forum

Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,206,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
I just finished watching Nancy Grace wrap up of week 16..Yes week 16! I seem to remember the OJ trial lasting months too. I thought the Prosecution witness this week was good,and even stood up pretty well in cross. This whole trial puts a bad taste in my mouth. I mean Travis was no angel and had skeletons in his closet,but then again who among us doesn't? He did not deserve to die. He strung along the wrong chick that is for sure. I predict we will have a verdict the first week of May. For me it is between LWOP or the death Penalty...In the USA females usally don't get death. We will see. just want that smurk wiped off her face!
I don't think Arias deserves the DP. LOWP would be good enough for her considering the egomaniac she is.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM

39,591 posts, read 47,849,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I don't think Arias deserves the DP. LOWP would be good enough for her considering the egomaniac she is.
Then that would be double punishment on her fellow cell mates. You know cruel and unusual punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime