U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,393 times

Advertisements

Gee, why don't we just do away with all trials and let criminals choose their own convictions and sentences to save taxpayer money? The maximum sentence for 2nd degree murder in Arizona is 22 years. You honestly think it's a good idea to let a murderous psychopath out into the world again to save what would amount to less than 50 cents per head of the population of Arizona? Every day, tax money gets spent on all kinds of crap that we have no control over and which does little if anything to benefit society. This is still a drop in the bucket compared to the $20 million plus flushed down the drain for the OJ criminal trial.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,152,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Yeah, that was a great post. Good clarification of who's choice it was to spend upwards of 2 million dollars on a sociopath. I'm sure Travis's family really loves Travis's naked body and sexual phone conversations being aired non-stop for 6 months. Fantastic use of taxpayer money. With all the drug cartel problems in Arizona, I would think a more pragmatic solution was to take the plea for more pressing public endangerment issues.
But yeah, everyone can feel groovy they gave it a shot, and when it comes up 2nd, it was all for naught.
Someone should have read "The Art of Negotiation".
Trinity1111,

I wanted to Ty a few pages ago for stopping a discussion that easily could have spiraled downward fast. That was when you drew a boundary and essentially said we were not going to talk about Mormons here. Having lived many years in UT in a state that is about 50% LDS, I appreciated what you did.

Actually, as a group, I sincerely believe several who post here have stopped any potential Mormon trashing here. Mormons are no different than other people- some struggle to live certain teachings and some seem stronger. Still, none of us know if Travis had gone to his Bishop to get a referral for LDS Social Services for sexual addiction treatment. In many ways there is a lot about that thought that makes sense as he would have been told to get ARIAS out of his life. It's very possible he told her she needed to talk to her Bishop too and she didn't want too. She did journal about when she talked to her Bishop.

So I thank everyone who has stopped themselves or others to NOT make this a "Mormon" issue. I have lots of active Mormons as friends, colleagues and even some relatives. I appreciate others being mature and sophisticated enough to know ARIAS is not a good example of a Mormon- she joined b/c of Travis. IMHO, unless she's already been excommunicated, ARIAS is NOT living a Mormon life.

I wonder what would happen if on her work detail ARIAS helped protect the border??????

Maybe she would have to wear a sign that said, "I murdered Travis Alexander do you really think I can't stop you too?"

She needs to work to pay AZ back for her trial, IMHO. Maybe she and other female inmates st prison could patrol 8-12 hrs./day. It is possible some crossing the border illegally have heard about her and might thrn around and go back to their homes. They might be able to improve border security more than we know with inmates wearing T-Shirts with a pic of the bloody crime scene or one of those awful post murder photos of Travis' body, or slashed throat.

I see this as a win/win as law enforcement need only show her pics too many in jail or at risk of committing additional crimes to talk about how prison is for those on death row. The caption could read. "You might be her next door cell neighbor. Would you feel safe ? " That should absolutely encourage women in jail to clean up their lives so they don't go to prison.

One can always find the good or bad in any situation.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 04-24-2013 at 01:08 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Gee, why don't we just do away with all trials and let criminals choose their own convictions and sentences to save taxpayer money? The maximum sentence for 2nd degree murder in Arizona is 22 years. You honestly think it's a good idea to let a murderous psychopath out into the world again to save what would amount to less than 50 cents per head of the population of Arizona? Every day, tax money gets spent on all kinds of crap that we have no control over and which does little if anything to benefit society. This is still a drop in the bucket compared to the $20 million plus flushed down the drain for the OJ criminal trial.
Great points fruitlassis. I keep wondering about HLN..... Ratings in the tank and then generating millions due to this trial. Hmmmm

I understand HLN couldn't exactly write a check to Corrections; however, I'm not a lawyer but I'm willing to bet there is some way HLN could donate 1.5-2.0 million to a general Maricopa County fund.

Let's be honest who has made $ here, besides Sanuels and ALV. They too could make a donation.

MSR

Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 AM

Ah crude buckets. Working with an iPhone and tired eyes. I might have gotten the flag thing, fruitlassis, when I tried to rep you. If so, I apologize! Hopefully, a moderator would read what I wrote. If there are any problems please ask them to read this post or contact me.

I hope you got the rep point and my message but I couldn't tell as it kind of kicked me out of there.

Again, I'm sorry for any possible difficulties or confusion a moderator might have reading a positive message. It was my fault if i accidentally got the wrong symbol

Sincerely sorry,

MSR

Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,037,525 times
[quote=trinity1111;29262429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Perhaps you're right. I haven't gotten over the "12 year old girl having her first orgasm" comment.
Fantasy or not, it's my opinion that Travis's line of thinking is not healthy for a 30 year old unmarried man.

Everyone has their issues that this trial highlights for them. That is the issue that stood out in my mind. That to me is a red flag.
I'm sure different things stand out for different people.

I just don't think the jury will be able to agree on the DEATH penalty. Also, any 1st degree conviction will require another month to sentence. I don't think this jury will opt for that.

That means 2nd degree murder will be agreed on, and this whole trial dragging Travis thru the press was for nothing. I think that was selfish on the part of Travis's family, and Juan.
This circus could have been avoided, with Travis's secrets kept in tact.
That's what I mean by the Travis family vendetta, this was beyond justice, they want revenge.
One and a half million dollars could have enriched the lives of so many, it's unnecessary in my opinion.
Great points you have there. I could totally see that happen.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
I don't think the jury has the guts for 1st degree. Smart Jodi has done a great job on her image as both nice and unstable.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
While I fully support the death penalty. Especially in cases of pure evil. The bar required in terms of trial length, appeal process, and expense, it is just not worth it. Especially when the juror pool is raised on CSI movies, and expects not only a confession, DNA, and almost a ring side seat to the event before making a decision, it is just not worth it. The cost of this trial for this one woman, is ludicrous. And she will appeal, even if convicted, for years....decades....

They should have gone with second degree, maximum sentence.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,037,525 times
Everyone is making great points. I still think the jury will go with 1st,but not DP. In this day and age it's just a matter of time before the US joins most other nations and bans dp ion all 50 states. Then again if this trial were held say for instance in Canada or UK she would probably serve 15 to 20 years max. There judicial system is geared more towards rehabilitation than just puinishment like the US,I am not saying one is right or wrong it's just how it is.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,061,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
While I fully support the death penalty. Especially in cases of pure evil. The bar required in terms of trial length, appeal process, and expense, it is just not worth it. Especially when the juror pool is raised on CSI movies, and expects not only a confession, DNA, and almost a ring side seat to the event before making a decision, it is just not worth it. The cost of this trial for this one woman, is ludicrous. And she will appeal, even if convicted, for years....decades....

They should have gone with second degree, maximum sentence.
I agree with the death penalty should be only reserved for those pure evils.
Jodi Arias is a liar and a killer. While many want her blood badly to pay for Travis' blood, I have to wonder how she becomes like that. Is she born like that? Compare her parents with Casey Anthony's parents and Boston bomber's parents. They at least tried to speak up for their kids. Then look at Travis' friends. It seems no one likes her. Look at all the text messages and phone messages exchanged between them. I don't know whether she was ever accepted in to Travis' circle. Was there anyone who tried to reach out for her to help her when she was on a self-destructive pathway?
While these two defense expert witness were trashed by many, they are experts in their fields and they seems have developed some sort of relationship with her after spending hours with her. Is she such as master in manipulating these two experts? If so, how come she was not able to manipulating Travis and his friends?

Yes, she should be sentenced with second degree, maximum sentence.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,393 times
Sociopaths cannot be rehabilitated. They know right from wrong and they simply don't care. Why would you be ok with JA getting out of prison by age 54 (if not earlier) and living out the rest of her life in freedom when she premeditated such a brutal murder? She robbed a young man of his life and put his family through hell. I am really disturbed that so many people here don't see an issue with that. This is not someone who feels even an ounce of remorse for what she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime