U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 01:49 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,017,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Better use of money than what?
If the state had negotiated and settled for Jodi's 2nd degree guilty plea set forth in 2011, the time and cost of this trial would have been reduced substantially.

The push for the death penalty resulted in a jury trial, and inadvertently the trial is existentially longer then a regular 1st degree Murder trial. Extra testimony time consuming and expensive, is allowed because it is a death penalty case.

All these time consuming sidebar requests for mistrial are strategic because they document issues that might be revisited later for appellate court(appeal), should the conviction be death penalty.

My point is that $1 million plus dollars that was spent, because this was held out for a death penalty, could have better appropriated by the State of Arizona.

Arizona State funds programs that assist many victims and the most needy, specifically babies and children who are abused, neglected, and abandoned. These facilities and programs consistently are underfunded, and rely on donations and volunteers.

Even a portion of the $1,000,000 would preserve, sustain, and enhance the quality of life for thousands of child victims in Arizona.

The final cost of this trial will be preposterous, and it very easily could have been avoided by accepting the 2nd degree plea.

If Jodi is deemed a severe public threat, then costs also could have been drastically reduced by not going for the death penalty, but going for 1st degree with a sentence of Life without Parole.

Last edited by trinity1111; 04-24-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,239,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
If the state had negotiated and settled for Jodi's 2nd degree guilty plea set forth in 2011, the time and cost of this trial would have been reduced substantially.

The push for the death penalty resulted in a jury trial, and inadvertently the trial is existentially longer then a regular 1st degree Murder trial. Extra testimony time consuming and expensive, is allowed because it is a death penalty case.

All these time consuming sidebar requests for mistrial are strategic because they doucument issues that might be revisited later for appellate court(appeal), should the conviction be death penalty.

My point is that $1 million plus dollars that was spent, because this was held out for a death penalty, could have better appropriated by the State of Arizona.

Arizona State funds programs that assist many victims and the most needy, specifically babies and children who are abused, neglected, and abandoned. These facilities and programs consistently run low of funds, and rely on donations and volunteers.

Even a portion of the $1,000,000 would preserve, sustain, and enhance the quality of life for thousands of child victims in Arizona.

The final cost of this trial will be preposterous, and it very easily could have been avoided.
Wow, just wow. I truly cannot hardly believe that someone would actually post this drivel.

How much cheaper would it be if we just did away with the criminal justice system altogether and just let everyone walk away scot free?

Jodi Arias committed a pre-meditated slaughter of another human being and should be convicted of 1st degree murder and sentenced to death. A 2nd degree murder plea deal would have been an insult to the victim's family and the entire notion of the rule of law.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Life without Parole means Jodi would never get out of prison. Never.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,038,310 times
Well that is just great! I just heard that 2nd degree murder is usually 10 to 15 years.. So with time served she could be out in 5 years...That's just dandy!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Well, if you live in Arizona, in 5 years you might block your doggie doors!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM

31,375 posts, read 19,628,377 times
Quote:

All these time consuming sidebar requests for mistrial are strategic because they document issues that might be revisited later for appellate court(appeal), should the conviction be death penalty.

Arizona State funds programs that assist many victims and the most needy, specifically babies and children who are abused, neglected, and abandoned. These facilities and programs consistently are underfunded, and rely on donations and volunteers.

The final cost of this trial will be preposterous, and it very easily could have been avoided by accepting the 2nd degree plea.

If Jodi is deemed a severe public threat, then costs also could have been drastically reduced by not going for the death penalty, but going for 1st degree with a sentence of Life without Parole.
You are suggesting a means by which a defendant can manipulate/extort the legal system and distort justice. We don't negotiate with criminals. Money spent for justice is money well spent.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,305,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
^^^ Sounds an awful lot like blackmail to me. Disgusting, but par for the course for this DT.

What gets me the jury never gets to see these things ... give me 2nd degree or else!!!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,038,310 times
Quote:
Well, if you live in Arizona, in 5 years you might block your doggie doors!
Nah I think as long as one is not having sexual relations with her and then blows her off,then block your doggie doors!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM

As per Arizona Department of Public Safety:

"Young children are more likely to die of child abuse or neglect in the Phoenix metropolitan area than any other major metropolitan area in the country. (Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine)."

I personally would have liked to see more state funds go to the children. They don't have choices, they rely on the judgement and consideration of the community/government for support and protection, and appropriation of funds.

This isn't a hostage exchange trial, killing Jodi doesn't bring Travis back.

HLN is making a ton of money on advertisers during this sensationalized long drawn out trial. I'd like to see them do a "Raised in America" segment on 'Phoenix Child Abuse, Worst in the USA'. Then have them make a financial contribution to upgrading the child safety net. And I've wrote them a letter saying as much.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,393 times
Do you even live in Arizona? If you do, then why don't you write to a congressman or something with your bright ideas. If not, then you need to not concern yourself with how our tax dollars are spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime