U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,037,303 times

Advertisements

Well it was fun watching HLN these past few weeks.. I decided after the Casey Anthony trial I was done with that show simply because they(with the exception of Nancy Grace) all seemed like they were pro defense and it angered me..Well what do you know they acquitted the witch so I certainly did not watch the aftermath on HLN. This time it seems HLN is very pro prosecution and that makes it easier to watch...Yeah they are obnoxious a lot of the times with their advertising and all. I guess they are covering the Zimmermann trial next..It seems like HLN is the 2000's version of Court Tv..Oh how I miss Court tv...anyway I guess in the next 2 weeks we could have a verdict...I hope CRAZYEYES ARIAS gets the needle and I say that after viewing the crime scene photos where she 90% decapitated him. She needs to fry..too bad Arizona don't have the electric chair (old sparky)

Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,130 times
^^^ That's interesting. On Facebook a lot of people seem to think HLN is still too pro-defense, or at least they give too much airtime to certain idiotic defense lawyers. I don't have cable, but I spent some of last weekend watching HLN at a relative's and I was not impressed. A lot of moronic talking heads (example, on Dr. Drew they were asked why "we" are so fascinated with this trial and a few of them said it's because Jodi is so beautiful ) and pure sensationalism ("JODI'S SECRET SEX DIARIES!"). HLN is certainly not the only place to go for information about the trial. There are many websites available such as WildAboutTrial, Websleuths, Facebook (check out the State vs Jodi Arias page or Juan Martinez Prosecutor Support page), local Arizona news sites, etc. I think if I had to watch this trial on HLN I would have thrown something through the tv screen months ago!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 AM

590 posts, read 784,567 times
I do think only the death penalty is appropriate in this case and I hope that is what happens. Some crimes are so heinous that the DP is really the best option. Some say that only certain mass killings like serial killers or terrorists should receive such punishment but all life is precious and how can one say that if "only" one person is killed, that one lost life is not worth paying the ultimate price. Also, consider that TA is not the only person who should receive justice. His family would have to live the rest of their lives knowing that JA is living comfortably at the state's expense, even if she is convicted of Life Without Parole.

There's a saying in the prison system that a prisoner only serves about a year of "hard time". That is, the 1st year of prison life is the hardest to serve as a person copes with the loss of freedom, adjustment to prison life, etc. Soon afterward, he/she adjusts and then settles into a regular routine, much the same way they did on the outside. They establish a routine, get prison jobs, make friends, take classes, have hobbies and even in many cases, take on lovers, which apparently Arias has already done. In other words, they become institutionalized. People on the outside think prisoners will wallow in dungeons and be miserable forever but that's simply not the case.

For this reason, Jodi Arias should pay the supreme price for her crime. With appeals, she would serve her sentence on Death Row, which is quite different from the mainstream prison population and for many years, she would have time to ponder her pending execution. That would be real and appropriate punishment.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,513,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
For this reason, Jodi Arias should pay the supreme price for her crime. With appeals, she would serve her sentence on Death Row, which is quite different from the mainstream prison population and for many years, she would have time to ponder her pending execution. That would be real and appropriate punishment.
I agree. I'd hate that she did what she did and got to a point where prison was bearable for her. She doesn't deserve that.

It frustrates me now to think that she has it good in prison now....visitors, drawing, tweeting, etc.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelilly View Post
They asked the Judge for a "lesser included", that being Manslaughter. When Stabby was charged the State charged 1st Degree Murder and nothing else. No 2nd Degree, no Manslaughter etc.
I read an article that Nurmi filed a request on 4/21 with the judge asking to add "manslaughter by sudden quarrel" or "heat of passion" charges to the jury instructions. Did the judge turn down this request?

Jodi Arias trial: Defense team asking judge to allow lesser charges

Does anyone know exactly what options the jury will have ... I know

1. First Degree Murder Death Penalty
2. Life in Prison without parole (I guess)

Is that it ... the only two charges this jury can consider? Is Manslaughter not being offered at all even without 'heat of passion.'

Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM

2,681 posts, read 6,262,198 times
Question Hln

has reported w/in the past few weeks that current sentencing options are:
1st Degree / Death Penatly @ 2nd Degree Manslaughter which would give her 10-22 years
w/time served.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,150,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I sincerely hope the jury sees the pictures!!! I looked at those pictures and got sick to see a young man mutilated like that ... Arias doesn't even deserve a trial ... how can anybody do that much damage to another human being ... and then George Jones dies and I am just depressed. We hadn't heard from our son this week (he lives 700 miles away) so I gave him a call just to hear his voice. He is the same age as Travis.

Arias deserves the death penalty and I hope this jury is smarter than the Pinellas 12 when they let Casey Anthony walk. I am sure the Alexander family has seen all the pictures and I can't conceive of the pain that family is going through.
Glad you called your son, CW. Another positive of this trial, if we'll let it be. Staying in closer contact with those who matter.

I've gone over security/safety issues with my mother the last few weeks. Living in 2013 isn't as safe as 10 or 20 years ago. I write that being sad I know those facts are true.

So maybe each of us here who have posted can select one person (besides ourselves, of course) to help ensure their home is safer, and they become more aware of dangers when out of their homes.

PTSD can be a daily struggle for those who truly have it, work with it, or live in the same household as someone who has it. Find strength and encouragement wherever you can and know that this day will pass. I hope someday there will be even better medications to help with some of the symptoms. I'm proud of all who overcome all they do with the symptoms they have.

I'm very proud of those who have gotten themselves out of abusive relationships who have posted here. I read a post somewhere different yesterday by a Victim of DV who described some of what her ex did to her. It was painful to read. She concluded that she was glad she finally took the kids and left, but then wrote, "HE is still alive."

MSR

Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
No. My point being that Mr. Horn was the States last witness before Juan rested his case, and the Medical Examiner testimony was basically just confusing. Everyone already knows Jodi's a liar.

There was a strategy in putting him last that was brilliant, it allowed Juan to show the photos.
So Juan did successfully go out with a bang with the visuals.

My guess is that the jury has developed Stockholm Syndrome, and Jodi will get less then 1st degree.
Or fatigue and want to do something else in 2013. I read a death sentence essentially starts a new trial with a month, at the minimum, of trial.

MSR

Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,016,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Or fatigue and want to do something else in 2013. I read a death sentence essentially starts a new trial with a month, at the minimum, of trial.

MSR

Yikes!!

One more month and the Jurors will start developing Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, if they haven't already.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
^^^ That's interesting. On Facebook a lot of people seem to think HLN is still too pro-defense, or at least they give too much airtime to certain idiotic defense lawyers. I don't have cable, but I spent some of last weekend watching HLN at a relative's and I was not impressed. A lot of moronic talking heads (example, on Dr. Drew they were asked why "we" are so fascinated with this trial and a few of them said it's because Jodi is so beautiful ) and pure sensationalism ("JODI'S SECRET SEX DIARIES!"). HLN is certainly not the only place to go for information about the trial. There are many websites available such as WildAboutTrial, Websleuths, Facebook (check out the State vs Jodi Arias page or Juan Martinez Prosecutor Support page), local Arizona news sites, etc. I think if I had to watch this trial on HLN I would have thrown something through the tv screen months ago!
I, too, don't have the same level of access to HLN that I did when this trial started, fruitlassie. Of course some could have graduated from high school during the length of this trial.

However, once I saw it again, I thought for MY TIME, I prefer the posts of informed posters on the internet. Websleuths has a lot of info. as well as the AZ media. I'll try to check that FB page out a little later. Thanks for the tips of other sites.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime