U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,760,193 times

Advertisements

^^^ I just don't see his behavior being any different, certainly no worse, than 95% of other young, single, heterosexual men in the 21st century. If having no-strings-attached sex with someone who wants a relationship is going to be accepted as grounds for murder, society is in big trouble.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,189,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
^^^ I just don't see his behavior being any different, certainly no worse, than 95% of other young, single, heterosexual men in the 21st century. If having no-strings-attached sex with someone who wants a relationship is going to be accepted as grounds for murder, society is in big trouble.
Absolutely true. As someone who is on the male side of this discussion, I can guarantee you that on any given Saturday night there are tons of guys on the prowl and they aren't looking for Mrs. Right to marry. Most are looking for a good time, and if they should be lucky enough to find a female with the same willingness as Jodi had that is a bonus. Girls like her don't go home to meet Mom usually, nor do they get engagement rings. I know that sounds cruel and harsh, but it is the reality of the situation. We guys can be selfish pigs at times.

Jodi set herself up to fail by being too easy and also too possessive. She had feelings for Travis that he didn't have for her, and I am pretty sure he did mislead her to some degree by telling her some of the things she wanted to hear. After all, it is pretty hard to have an intimate relationship that goes on that long without at least saying a few things of a romantic nature,it is tough to say "Hey that was great, now hit the road until the next time." I think Jodi saw her house of cards collapsing and took out her rage on Travis to punish him.

Don

Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM

13,832 posts, read 14,664,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post

I don't think it is grounds for murder at all. she should have walked away at some point, not kept going back for more. with that being said he too should have walked away at some point.

I do blame religious rules for a lot of the sexual pressures travis must have felt. a 30 year old man having to confess to a bishop for doing something almost every adult in the world does regularly. to feel you have to have sex without really "having sex" is a no win situation.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,018,331 times
Why does everybody want to sanctify Travis?

Is it just because he ended up dead?

Granted, Jodi's a sociopath. But Travis was more then 'just a player."

The guy's entire life was lies too.

Travis lied to his Church, his Bishop, his co-workers, his friends, his family, and all the women he dated..most importantly, probably lied to himself.

There's plenty sexually active young men involved in sexually restrictive religions including catholics, who aren't frauds in every other aspect and relationship in their life.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,760,193 times
I haven't seen anyone "sanctify" Travis. I'm not sure what you are talking about. Nobody is claiming he was a perfect human being but that doesn't mean he deserved what he got. Nobody deserves to be sliced up and shot to death. What I find really bizarre is the constant attempts by a few people to "de-edify" and trash the crime victim. Being a young horny guy doesn't warrant murder at the hands of a psychopath.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,189,868 times
I'm not sanctifying him, didn't you see where I said we guys can be pigs at times ? We are opportunists and hunters by nature. Travis was no different in that regard.

As for the lies, we ALL lie at times. It may be a little lie (Honey do I look fat in this ?) or we lie to the IRS, or on a job application, or to get out of a speeding ticket. We ALL lie. Travis was caught between a rock and a hard place with Jodi, he loved the adventure and the sex, but he was a Mormon and had a profession where he was supposed to be a leader.

If you look at his previous relationships, he treated the ladies with respect. Sorry to characterize it like this, but Jodi is a tramp, and Travis fell to her level in this relationship. Was he a Saint, hell no, but the lies he told were probably what most of us would have told if we were caught in his situation. When I was young I dated a lot of good Catholic girls who I am pretty sure never confessed to the Priest what we did the night before.

I think it was Jesus who said something to the effect, "Let he among you who has no sin cast the first stone." Bet there weren't many rocks thrown that day.

Don

Old 04-28-2013, 06:38 PM

15,164 posts, read 13,438,598 times
I never said Travis deserved to be murdered.

I said the death penalty should be taken off the table because I feel Travis's behavior constitutes a mitigating circumstance.

In fact, I find it pretty ironic that felt he was worthy of labeling someone else as "unworthy".

Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM

2,681 posts, read 6,271,663 times
Default yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Why does everybody want to sanctify Travis?

Is it just because he ended up dead?

Granted, Jodi's a sociopath. But Travis was more then 'just a player."

The guy's entire life was lies too.

Travis lied to his Church, his Bishop, his co-workers, his friends, his family, and all the women he dated..most importantly, probably lied to himself.
There's plenty sexually active young men involved in sexually restrictive religions including catholics, who aren't frauds in every other aspect and relationship in their life.
he doesn't appear to have lied to Jodi, seems he was pretty up front w/her about things and she's the one who slit his throat.
K

Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I am not saying Travis deserved to die for what he did......but I have a real hard time feeling sorry for a guy who treats someone like a disposable play toy.

This is why I do have some empathy for Jodi......no one deserves to be used the way he used her. He played with fire and he got burned.....if he was a decent human being in the first place he wouldn't be dead right now.....he is hardly an innocent victim, IMO.

Because of his part in this tragedy, I don't think she deserves the death penalty.

While I agree with you that Travis was a dog and used Jodi for sex...sad to say I bet a lot of guys would do the same thing..and while it is NOT right morally I think saying someone is not a decent human being is being judgmental and kind of a crappy thing to say about someone. And who is to say what crazyeyes would have done anyway..she is a sociopath she could have killed him if he just broke up with her anyway. You can't say whether he would be dead right now or not if he wouldn't have carried on the sexual affair.

Last edited by snowchaser2002; 04-28-2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 PM

83 posts, read 90,447 times
What a crock!! There wasn't a ring around this guy's finger. He's getting his name dragged thru the mud for what A WHOLE BUNCH OF SINGLE MEN do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime