U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,017,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Restraining orders are only a piece of paper. If a person is hellbent on causing you harm or getting to you they are not going to be afraid of anything. There have been tons of cases where a person had a restraining order in place and their spouse walked up to them in broad daylight and shot them dead. We had one such case right here where I live.

And no, men do not typically get restraining orders. It is not "manly" to do that in most men's minds.It is like when we hear of a man being domestically abused, we kind of wonder what was up with that.

Don
Yeah, I do understand there's a sitgma on domestic violence that men might think it makes them look bad. You have a good point there.

The piece of paper doesn't protect someone from a sociopath/psychopath.
The court and police are the first to tell you this!!

It does set pre established legal paperwork in case something comes down, and you do protect yourself, it's like a legal pre emptive strike. The peratrator can't turn the story around on you, (if they survive ).

It's lining your ducks up, so someone like Jodi can't cry or talk her way out of it.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM

Before I go for the day,

I think Travis knowingly put Maria, the Cruise Date, and his roommates in harms way.

OK, well that's just my opinion, have a good day !

Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post

I understand you think Travis was a helpless victim to Jodi's sexual charms and sociopathic rage, but he had choices, and made a series of bad. Choices have consequences.

And, for a new thread to argue about victimhood, we are all registered gun owners. .25 Handguns for road trips, 9mm Glocks and Semi Automatic Shotguns for anyone wanting to break in the homestead. And every adult and young adult in the family goes to the range regularly to practice.

This is a Military Background Family. No victims here.
When he was ambushed in his shower by a psycho wielding a gun and a knife, yes, he was a helpless victim! Anyone can be a victim. Male, female, military background, restraining order, gun owner...you can take steps to be less vulnerable, but ultimately anyone can be attacked if someone is really intent on harming you. You seem to be creating your own fiction about the relationship between Travis and Jodi which the facts don't support, whatever, but this is the True Crime forum. This wasn't some stormy love affair (despite what her FICTIONAL journals might claim)...she was a booty call who owed him thousands of dollars so he couldn't cut off communication with her completely. She moved to another state. She had never threatened violence toward him before. Very few people in his position would have guessed that their life was in danger.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,514,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
You seem to be creating your own fiction about the relationship between Travis and Jodi which the facts don't support, whatever, but this is the True Crime forum. This wasn't some stormy love affair (despite what her FICTIONAL journals might claim)...she was a booty call who owed him thousands of dollars so he couldn't cut off communication with her completely. She moved to another state. She had never threatened violence toward him before. Very few people in his position would have guessed that their life was in danger.
Very true.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,037,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I actually think being a decent human being IS what got him killed. If he was really a dog who slept around, he would have had the sexual experience to know that skanky chicks like her are a dime a dozen if you know where to look, and he wouldn't have let the crazy one keep coming back.
Thank you! that is the best way of putting it! I am sick of people blaming Travis for his murder. Saying he was not a decent person is so judgmental I mean who the hell gives anyone the right to say whether or not someone is DECENT.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,300,737 times
Quote:
There's probably something positive everyone can take from this trial.

I know most posters don't approve of Alyce at all, or care about our story, but during this trial my 20 year daughter got out of her abusive relationship and is now living with us.

I'm not saying this was the case with Jodi....I'm saying the was the case of abuse with my daughter...

I have the case on everyday on TV, while doing other things...

It was TEXTBOOK and my daughter came over and was RIVETED by Alyce's testimony and explanations of why women stay in the relationships, and what their bottom is that they are willing to put up with, how they keep lowing it. [/b]

It was like Alyce was talking directly to my daughter from the TV, it shocked her and woke her up to hear exactly how her life was, from someone else...... My daughter came over every day to watch the trial and listen to Alyce. It took just a couple weeks and then my daughter drew the line, asked for help, and held the line.

Alyce may very well have sold out on this trial, but she inadvertently helped someone.
She now goes to a counselor, goes to a support group and has a sponsor.
Quote:
I didn't mention my daughter to compare her with Nicole, but yes, she acted like an adult and took the responsible steps.

Of course she filed a police report, went to court to obtained a restraining order, notified work managers, put the whole family on notice of what was going on, moved out of her apartment, had him evicted legally by the court so she could end her lease.
She promptly put in for a job transfer, and because she had told the managers what was happening and not lie to them, was granted one immediately and moved across the pacific ocean to Hawaii to live with her grandparents and begin her position there, a new beginning.

WOW ... Alyce is a miracle worker ... I am glad she helped your daughter or is this two daughters? One living with you with a counselor and sponsor? And one that was able to evict someone that quickly, get a job transfer and move to Hawaii? And ALV's testimony was just a couple of weeks ago.

Things must move faster in your state than mine. I did volunteer work in an Abused & Battered Shelter and I have gone to court with ladies to obtain restraining orders. Then a few months ago it happened in my family, my daughter had a stalker and it took us two weeks to get in to see a judge to get a restraining order ... and like every one has said it's just a piece of paper. But the guy left town In addition our state doesn't allow evictions that fast. We have sold our rental houses, but a rental on a month to month basis, they still receive 30 days to get out.

Your daughter(s) is fortunate to be able to get all that done in such a short time. So you have one living with you and one in Hawaii ... I love Hawaii.

I don't think Travis realized how evil Arias really was ... his murder was premeditated and she needs to be punished for mutilated him like she did. A piece of paper would not have stopped Arias.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
WOW ... Alyce is a miracle worker ... I am glad she helped your daughter or is this two daughters? One living with you with a counselor and sponsor? And one that was able to evict someone that quickly, get a job transfer and move to Hawaii? And ALV's testimony was just a couple of weeks ago.

Things must move faster in your state than mine. I did volunteer work in an Abused & Battered Shelter and I have gone to court with ladies to obtain restraining orders. Then a few months ago it happened in my family, my daughter had a stalker and it took us two weeks to get in to see a judge to get a restraining order ... and like every one has said it's just a piece of paper. But the guy left town In addition our state doesn't allow evictions that fast. We have sold our rental houses, but a rental on a month to month basis, they still receive 30 days to get out.

Your daughter(s) is fortunate to be able to get all that done in such a short time. So you have one living with you and one in Hawaii ... I love Hawaii.

I don't think Travis realized how evil Arias really was ... his murder was premeditated and she needs to be punished for mutilated him like she did. A piece of paper would not have stopped Arias.

Yes, once my daughter (just the one) asked for me for help, We immediately stepped in. The key is she asked for help. She had to get to her bottom, and Alyce testimony clicked, it woke something up for her. I don't know exactly what is was, maybe a combo of psychology and Travis's death pictures that scared her.. Once she asked for help I jumped into immediate action.

In Las Vegas the family court will issue an immediate temporary 10 day restraining order, even if it's not served. Once it served, you go to court within 30 days for the hearing.

What's really interesting,once she got the 10 day restraining order, and filed the eviction, the boyfriend left Las Vegas and went back to his parents in the east coast. His mom called me and told me they had him see a mental and substance abuse counselor for an assessment and he agreed to enter a 30 day residential rehab for abuse of prescription drugs, Xanax. He could stay 3 months if deemed necessary.

Yeah, these kids are fortunate to have family support, but both of them had to hit bottem and ask for it.

Anyway, Hawaii's beautiful! We're all Leaving Las Vegas, We're moving to Maui in mid May !!! yay!!
(this was planned way before the trial, lol)

Last edited by trinity1111; 04-29-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
Thank you! that is the best way of putting it! I am sick of people blaming Travis for his murder. Saying he was not a decent person is so judgmental I mean who the hell gives anyone the right to say whether or not someone is DECENT.

I never said Travis wasn't a decent person, I said he made a series of poor choices. I never said he deserved to be killed, I said this was the particular outcome of his choices, horrific as it may be.

I certainly don't believe Jodi, she's clearly a sociopath.Textbook. A danger to society and should be locked up for life. Life without Parole.

But I'm not on the jury.

My guess is the jury has Stockholm syndrome, and she'll get less then 1st degree.

Apparently the Judge has allowed several lessor sentences then 1st degree. This shows she's not confident of a 1st degree conviction. I don't know the details, I thought I heard Manslaughter in there.

Last edited by trinity1111; 04-29-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,166,763 times
It's funny how some people can sympathize with Jodi and actually think she might have somehow had some justification for what happened. My Son was just telling me he was in a group of people who were discussing the Boston bombers and there were actually people in that group who felt the bombers were being treated badly ! Have we become so jaded by all the problems in the world that we have lost touch with logic and decency ?

Don

Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It's funny how some people can sympathize with Jodi and actually think she might have somehow had some justification for what happened. My Son was just telling me he was in a group of people who were discussing the Boston bombers and there were actually people in that group who felt the bombers were being treated badly ! Have we become so jaded by all the problems in the world that we have lost touch with logic and decency ?

Don
Good grief. Now the Chechen terrorist brothers are being deemed victims?? What now, was poor
Tamerlan not handed his citizenship and was forced to turn to drug dealing?? Maybe his family getting free welfare benefits crippled his self esteem? ugh

Who knows what mind set Jodi's jury has. Anythings possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime