U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,178,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I don't see why Mason doesn't just adopt Casey Anthony. Of course his wife may not like that. Maybe Anthony and Mason are just friends with benefits. Baez cut her loose and so did Dorothy Clay Sims. Dorothy wasn't much of an attorney, she was the official "pat her, stroke her, hug her, keep Anthony calmed down." Arias didn't exactly have a Dorothy Clay Sims, Willmott would whisper to her, laugh and giggle, but no hugging. I think the writing, drawing, whatever Arias was doing was given to her to keep her from going ballistic in the courtroom.

Willmott didn't do one thing yesterday or today ... not one sound out of her. She was puffed up like a frog, then stroking her hair and one time I did see her whisper to Nurmi to object ... but he didn't cause he was reclining in his chair drinking his water. She did write on the yellow pad, lots of notes I guess.

I watched CBS in Phoenix, they must have done the same thing, they don't 'bleep' out anything as far as the bad language. But they don't show the mutilated pictures. I noticed on another live stream I watched it would go silent then back on when the F word or other bad words was said. I was following the reporter on Twitter and he said they received their live feed from CNN so that is probably why the sound would go out.

I would assume the FCC would get involved if there was a problem, but the live stream was internet and there's not many laws governing the internet. I don't know if the stations broadcasted on local television all day long, all the soap opera viewers would have raised heck. LOL

I didn't see that live ... I didn't watch any of Nurmi. I just waited for Juan to do his thing. I did read on Twitter what Nurmi said ... when he said he didn't like her 9 days out of 10 either ... Juan objected and the judge sustained and told jury to disregard the comment. If convicted Arias first appeal will be "ineffective assistance of counsel" ... since Nurmi didn't like her 90% of the time and it was known he applied to be removed from the case.

If this jury has any brains and the ability to understand and reason through the facts presented at this trial I think they will arrive at Premeditated First Degree Murder ... they have invested so much time already on this case ... I hope they are not swayed by just wanting to go home ... because the First Degree Murder charge means the jury then goes into the 'penalty phase' ... more time spent in the courtroom.
I agree, CW. The FCC would be highly involved in non-cable/satellite broadcasts. Not being in Phoenix I honestly don't know if every station was broadcasting live over the airwaves or an Internet feed only. Perhaps all the local stations discussed this in advance and decided they would ALL cover the last part live so the "community standard" was identical on every station.

Hopefully, someone from Phoenix can tell us more. I remembered you mentioning that station in particular with the tweets etc. being so accurate. The first tweet I saw on the website was a female reporter saying she had learned during the lunch break her tweets had been cut off by network.

All the behind the scene stories that might emerge.......

MSR

Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I don't see why Mason doesn't just adopt Casey Anthony. Of course his wife may not like that. Maybe Anthony and Mason are just friends with benefits. Baez cut her loose and so did Dorothy Clay Sims. Dorothy wasn't much of an attorney, she was the official "pat her, stroke her, hug her, keep Anthony calmed down." Arias didn't exactly have a Dorothy Clay Sims, Willmott would whisper to her, laugh and giggle, but no hugging. I think the writing, drawing, whatever Arias was doing was given to her to keep her from going ballistic in the courtroom.

Willmott didn't do one thing yesterday or today ... not one sound out of her. She was puffed up like a frog, then stroking her hair and one time I did see her whisper to Nurmi to object ... but he didn't cause he was reclining in his chair drinking his water. She did write on the yellow pad, lots of notes I guess.

I watched CBS in Phoenix, they must have done the same thing, they don't 'bleep' out anything as far as the bad language. But they don't show the mutilated pictures. I noticed on another live stream I watched it would go silent then back on when the F word or other bad words was said. I was following the reporter on Twitter and he said they received their live feed from CNN so that is probably why the sound would go out.

I would assume the FCC would get involved if there was a problem, but the live stream was internet and there's not many laws governing the internet. I don't know if the stations broadcasted on local television all day long, all the soap opera viewers would have raised heck. LOL

I didn't see that live ... I didn't watch any of Nurmi. I just waited for Juan to do his thing. I did read on Twitter what Nurmi said ... when he said he didn't like her 9 days out of 10 either ... Juan objected and the judge sustained and told jury to disregard the comment. If convicted Arias first appeal will be "ineffective assistance of counsel" ... since Nurmi didn't like her 90% of the time and it was known he applied to be removed from the case.

If this jury has any brains and the ability to understand and reason through the facts presented at this trial I think they will arrive at Premeditated First Degree Murder ... they have invested so much time already on this case ... I hope they are not swayed by just wanting to go home ... because the First Degree Murder charge means the jury then goes into the 'penalty phase' ... more time spent in the courtroom.
I also agree about the attorneys. I did see Nurmi object twice, I believe, during Nuan's last two statements. That was when he was clarifying the difference between the evidence and the arguments.

I view Nurmi a little differently than some. I would never tolerate his boring and explicit sexual details in my home or any other setting. I don't appreciate how he had to be so graphic for hours. That being said and having worked with both sex offenders and their attorneys, I have a totally different theory of Nurmi's hours of details about sexual details.

Honestly, none of that really matters, all that matters is the evidence of pre-meditation and ARIAS admitting she killed TA. The jury isn't there to decide anything about the sexual past of those two, only if ARIAS should get the DP or not.

Given the charges against her, I think Nurmi talked about the sexual stuff as much as he did as he had nothing else to talk about. What is he suppose to do to represent a client who admitted killing, and telling lie after lie even to the jury? I'm not excusing him, I just think he's an ineffective lawyer at least in this case, if not overall. Maybe a really bright attorney would have rested the defense the first week. Remember, ARIAS wanted to be on the stand. And again, she would fit the profile of someone who would sue for legal malpractice.

That's kind of funny Juan objected to Nurmi's remark about not liking her 9 days out of 10. I didn't hear it- did the judge sustain his objection?

And JW not even saying a word during closing.... she really decreased her abilities in this trial, at least to me.

I thought one of JM's best remarks was when he was explaining the difference in evidence and admission of killing someone vs. the arguments the defense created to confuse the jury. When he referred to all the sexual activity or banter he didn't have to be a repeat Nurmi. Instead he quoted the one May 2008 IM where Travis wrote that she was evil and using him as a D*ldo when she wanted something sexual. That's the IM where Travis wrote ARIAS was the worst thing that had happened to him, or whatever his direct words were. As JM said it was like he was signing his own death.certificate with that IM. And he reminded the jury the DT never once talked about that IM as it was what TA thought of ARIAS weeks before he was murdered.

I thought JM totally cut through Nurmi's graphics in less than 2 min. DT didn't object.

I think it's fair to say the two DT lawyers won't be involved down the road when she appeals, unless Nurmi is asked why he didn't like her 90% of the time.

MSR

Old 05-04-2013, 12:50 AM

9,917 posts, read 9,318,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I agree, CW. The FCC would be highly involved in non-cable/satellite broadcasts. Not being in Phoenix I honestly don't know if every station was broadcasting live over the airwaves or an Internet feed only. Perhaps all the local stations discussed this in advance and decided they would ALL cover the last part live so the "community standard" was identical on every station.

Hopefully, someone from Phoenix can tell us more. I remembered you mentioning that station in particular with the tweets etc. being so accurate. The first tweet I saw on the website was a female reporter saying she had learned during the lunch break her tweets had been cut off by network.

All the behind the scene stories that might emerge.......

MSR
Wild About Trial would max out on tweets and get cut off by Twitter but he would go to Wild About Trial 2. I followed Elizabeth Erwin at CBS Channel 5, Wild About Trial, JusticeForTravis and Elizabeth Erwin was the best, she followed every detail. Wild is witty describing what every one is wearing. I signed up today to 'follow' Verdict Watch.

Juan really trashed ALV yesterday and today ... I wonder if she was watching and doing a slow burn. When it's all over and done with I am curious about what the problem was with ALV. When she completed her testimony and the judge told her she had to return the next Monday or Tuesday to take care of 'that matter.' ALV started with I have this and the judge cut her off and spoke to her sharp with you will return. We never saw her again so perhaps the judge let her handle 'the matter' by telephone or they sneaked her in and out.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:20 AM

9,917 posts, read 9,318,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
That's kind of funny Juan objected to Nurmi's remark about not liking her 9 days out of 10. I didn't hear it- did the judge sustain his objection?

And JW not even saying a word during closing.... she really decreased her abilities in this trial, at least to me.

I thought one of JM's best remarks was when he was explaining the difference in evidence and admission of killing someone vs. the arguments the defense created to confuse the jury. When he referred to all the sexual activity or banter he didn't have to be a repeat Nurmi. Instead he quoted the one May 2008 IM where Travis wrote that she was evil and using him as a D*ldo when she wanted something sexual. That's the IM where Travis wrote ARIAS was the worst thing that had happened to him, or whatever his direct words were. As JM said it was like he was signing his own death.certificate with that IM. And he reminded the jury the DT never once talked about that IM as it was what TA thought of ARIAS weeks before he was murdered.

I thought JM totally cut through Nurmi's graphics in less than 2 min. DT didn't object.

I think it's fair to say the two DT lawyers won't be involved down the road when she appeals, unless Nurmi is asked why he didn't like her 90% of the time.

MSR
Yes when Nurmi made the remark and Juan objected ... the judge sustained and told the jury to disregard that statement. My goodness ... Arias own lawyer didn't like her and probably didn't believe her either.

Juan countering Nurmi's Arias being used by Travis with the IM Travis wrote he was a dil do with a heartbeat was a good move by Juan.

Maybe Nurmi has a deal with Lifetime TV to advertise their Arias movie ... "Dirty Little Secret" ... he said that enough times. LOL I can't find where Nurmi is 'death penalty qualified' Willmott is but he just handles sex offender cases according to his website. That is probably why Willmott was brought in as one has to be DP qualified.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:25 AM

17,675 posts, read 11,233,821 times
Tonight on Dr. Drew one of the guests was Travis' friend Abe A. He told a very touching story about how Travis one time saw a homeless man and he pulled over and talked with him. He took the guy home, let him clean up and gave him some clothes, then took him to a restaurant and talked the owner into hiring the man. Abe said it turned the man's life around, and Travis was always doing things like that.

If people can't see through the crafty way Jodi put some hot buttons into her story, like pedophilia just to further make Travis look like a monster, they must be blind. The most laughable comment Jodi made was that she lied in the very beginning to "protect Travis from the truth coming out." Protect him !!! She did everything in her power to paint him as a deviant child loving fiend , and yet she can sit there with a straight face and say she tried to protect his reputation. What a sick, twisted person she is.

I hope she gets everything she has coming to her.

Don

Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,020,493 times
Quote:
Trinity, I can't understand one thing ... would a Mormon hang the jury ... would a Catholic ... would an Atheist ... would a Pentecostal ... would a Presbyterian ... would any of these let her walk ... what in the world has one's religious denomination and beliefs have to do with the jury. I have served on many juries and I have never had to declare my religious beliefs.

When I served on a Federal Jury I received an application in the mail to complete and return ... nothing inquiring about my religious beliefs or denomination ... it did ask if I had bumper stickers on my vehicle and if so what did they say. LOL
First off, I never suggested that anyone should let Jodi walk, religious or otherwise.

And the question if one believes in the Death Penalty or not, is topic for another thread.

It's in my opinion that all the CNN Affiliates, HLN in particular, has participated in condemnatory coverage of this trial. Furthermore, the predisposition of pre-meditation along with interviews with practically exclusively Travis supporters, had the Death Penalty already decided upon, WITHOUT EVEN HAVING A TRIAL YET.

This lynch mob mentality,before a verdict has been read, is outrageous and disturbing. The high numbers of self proclaimed Mormons participating in all aspects of this Media Mania certainly reach out into the local community, and it was my inquiry as to how many of these local Mormons sat on the Jury.

The strong sense of community in the Mormon faith, makes me question if these said jurors were subject to any inferences and pre-judgements. They were not sequestered, and within 6 months it would be reasonable to assume that there my be subtle, but bias fallout at Church, or the community grocery store..

Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 AM

2,443 posts, read 3,533,297 times
Juan did great! I clapped after he finished and I felt he couldn't have done any better. I feel confident that Jodie will get the ultimate verdict of 1st degree murder - premeditated. There's no doubt in my mind that is what she deserves. It breaks my heart to see Travis's family sitting in the courtroom looking so broken.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yes when Nurmi made the remark and Juan objected ... the judge sustained and told the jury to disregard that statement. My goodness ... Arias own lawyer didn't like her and probably didn't believe her either.

Juan countering Nurmi's Arias being used by Travis with the IM Travis wrote he was a dil do with a heartbeat was a good move by Juan.

Maybe Nurmi has a deal with Lifetime TV to advertise their Arias movie ... "Dirty Little Secret" ... he said that enough times. LOL I can't find where Nurmi is 'death penalty qualified' Willmott is but he just handles sex offender cases according to his website. That is probably why Willmott was brought in as one has to be DP qualified.
Nurmi isn't death penalty qualified and that is exactly why JW was brought in after Victoria Washington quit. Apparently, JW is a teacher, supervisor, trainer or whatever the correct term is to help train/ certify other AZ lawyers could become death penalty certified. I don't know what that requires- formal classroom work, testing and/or X hrs. as co-counsel in DP cases. Maybe someone can clarify. I would hope it's not only co-counsel or Squirmy Nurmi may soon be eligible.

I've wondered which of the DT lawyers found their experts?

I get nauseated thinking about either lawyer on the DT promoting that movie! I guess I'd almost be more interested to see a movie of all Squirmy did to try to get out of this case and how he dealt with a client he didn't like 90% of the time. ARIAS potentially said her I Q was so bright she could do a better job defending herself on the stand than Nurmi could without her. I suppose I might be interested in that portion of how she "dictated" she would testify.

I want to be very clear I would not want Squirmy representing me or someone I loved. One reason I believe he is ineffective counsel is he couldn't get out of the case before the other attorneys.

BTW- I read a great site last night. One of the posters said the DT did have another psychologist see ARIAS earlier. None of the findings were used in the trial. No surprise to me ........

MSR

Old 05-04-2013, 11:03 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,762,649 times
The defense's closing argument was pure smoke and mirrors. How could Jodi be on a "covert mission" when she had all these receipts from her trip, when she didn't kill Travis right away, and did a lousy job cleaning the scene? Well, yes, she had plenty of receipts from California, but nothing from Arizona that would incriminate her. She had driven all that way to Mesa and probably wanted to sleep a bit, work up the nerve, wait for the roommates to leave, catch him offguard in the shower, maybe give him a chance to change his mind about her...I can think of dozens of reasons why she wouldn't have killed him right off the bat. She left a bit of a mess because for one thing, he didn't stay in the shower like she imagined he would, and she's a first time killer, not a pro, so she was probably in a hurry and panicking somewhat, plus she knew the roommates would come home at some point. And when Nurmi tried to claim that microscopic bit of tassel on the steps was from rope used for sex, I had to LOL. Maybe you could use it to tie up a hamster.

And then of course, he had to "shock and awe" with the sex talk and victim-bashing, wouldn't be Nurmi if he didn't. I suppose all of that might be at his client's insistence, but I would be disgusted if I was a juror (or anyone else, for that matter). How convenient that he cut the parts of the tape where Jodi was saying things like "That is so debasing...I love it!"

Juan gave it his all until the end. I loved watching Willmott's mouth drop open when he brought in the coded messages in the magazines. He doesn't have to resort to cheap tricks, he does his homework and speaks eloquently and right to the point. I don't think there is a better prosecutor out there.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM

17,675 posts, read 11,233,821 times
This suspense waiting for the verdict is driving me nuts. (Not a far drive, according to some people ) I wonder what day they will finally reach it ?

I can answer Nurmi's question as to why Jodi didn't simply kill Travis the minute she got there instead of waiting so long. It is very simple, she came prepared to do it but held out hope that she could convince Travis one last time that they should be together. When the sex and conversation failed to get the results she wanted it then became obvious to her that it was time to end it, and that meant Travis had to die. If Travis would have had a change of heart and told her she would be going on that Cancun trip there would not have been a killing that day........and to quote Jodi Arias, "You can mark my words on that."

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime