U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
39,584 posts, read 47,836,774 times
Reputation: 110517

Advertisements

Jodi and her lawyer want the death penalty taken off the table. If you're not guilty then why ask for a lesser sentence. If this isn't a suggestion of guilt then I don't know what is. Desperate move, huh.

From today ABC15TV:
Jodi Arias trial live video: Arizona Supreme Court denies request to toss death penalty

 
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,471,387 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I agree. She makes a good witness, she isn't appearing to be as rattled as the prosecutor that's for sure. I think that will be in the defense's favor...The prosecutor appears to be consistently badgering...So many opportunities for the defense to have said "Your Honor, asked and answered" I am beginning to think that the defense is letting this prosecutor run with it deliberately to the prosecutors detriment. Looking at the jurors when the camera scans them....I think the women jurors are not a appreciating his badgering..imo
As a victim of DV myself, I feel just the opposite.

Sociopaths need to feel in control and superior and the way the prosecutor brought out her arrogance was brilliant, IMO. It's quite obvious she's not the shrinking violet she tried to portray last week. She's standing up to him and he has let her.

In the mean time, he's already poked holes in nearly all the claims she made regarding the pedophilia and abuse, which is the foundation of her defense. He was quit sly about it...I'm not sure she even realized it until about time for court to be dismissed yesterday. I think once he brought out the phone records showing she lied about the phone calls on the day Travis was supposed to have been "liking" the photos of the little boy and then topping it with the magazines that will lead to the guy she wanted to take the forged letters to the media she may have lost a little smugness. When you add in the photo of her hand after the date she claims Travis broke her finger and her hand doesn't show the knot on her knuckle...a confession that it came from a cut to a cop and a boyfriend...nothing in her journal hinting at it, the way she used the "wrapped up" hint about the sex...her credibility is shot.

Victims of DV cower in front of authoritative figures. Jodi showed she has no fear and thinks she can outwit anyone that gets in the path of what she wants.

Travis had his issues with sex...that she admitted in her joural that she liked too. But the story we have been told was one sided. You have to remember WHO taped the phone conversation and WHO was into photography. Once it comes out that she tried to get a witness to lie to her attorney and get letters that were proven forged into evidence that she claimed Travis wrote stating he was a pedophile I can't see how anyone could believe her story.

The defense tried to get a stay on the death penalty today due to Flores misunderstanding the medical examiners findings and stating the gun shot wound was first. The stay was denied.

Can't wait for Monday!!!
 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Miami
195 posts, read 296,872 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
And there we have it.....you feel sorry for some victims and not others.....because you identify with one more than the other.

How about we drive around and kill some hookers sometime....I mean, they have it coming like you said.
Well if that's what you wanna do, I'm sure nothing is gonna stop you, especially my opinion I'm not really the type who likes blood or hurting other people.
 
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,433 posts, read 19,664,020 times
Reputation: 7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So is your point that he had it coming to him because he was mormon or because he liked to get naughty?
Or is it because a minister somewhere beat up his wife?

Was he asking for it because of how he was dressed maybe?

I see a mountain of projection going on here. Seriously, wow, the ministers wife case means Jodi Arias is innocent? That's a stunning new legal defense. Well I guess they have to find Oscar Praetorius innocent because of the OJ verdict.

I can only imagine some guy stabbing his gf to death 27 times then claiming he wasn't there, then claiming some other guys did it....and when caught in both lies by physical evidence claiming she had been abusing him all along but he can't remember killing her or destroying the physical evidence at the scene. You'd be up front with the rope and the pitchfork.

All I can add is: if someone treats another like an object, they should prepare for a fallout.
 
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,433 posts, read 11,755,502 times
Reputation: 10823
I did not follow this case when the murder first happened. I did read this thread and I have seen some of the testimony. But; I am a little confused.

Was Travis shot first or stabbed first? I am thinking that, for two that enjoyed sexual experimentation, is it possible that Jodi tied him up and then stabbed and finally shot him to death?

I am presuming that the prosecutors never found the knife or gun? There is a strong chance that the gun belonged to Jodi's grandfather – which would mean premeditated murder. Supposedly Travis was shot with a .25 and her grandfather had a lost or stolen .25?

Jodi is obviously guilty of killing Travis. I just hope that we find out more about the means of death and the nuts and bolts of the case. Please enlighten me if my speculations are off base.
 
Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,019,765 times
Reputation: 1466
The autopsy results are inconclusive determinating whether Travis was shot first or after the stabbing. The differentiating factor is that 5 days of decomposition transpired. This would effect pooling of blood in the brain which would have been more evident had he been shot first, if found right away. If he was stabbed first, he would have bled out and not have the pooling in the brain.

She testified to shooting Travis first as he was coming at her. She said Travis had the gun in the closet and she remembers where it was because he pays her to clean his house.

Jodi admitted to bondage play involving ropes cut to measure with a knife. However, no rope was found at the crime scene.
Just a small tassel piece on the stairs.

Jodi denied involvement with the disappearance of her grandfather's gun.

Jodi also testified she blacked out after shooting him and does not have memory of stabbing him.
 
Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
39,584 posts, read 47,836,774 times
Reputation: 110517
Jodi said she stabbed Travis 27 times, slit his throat, then shot him. .

Here's one newstory about the account. Jodi Arias gives lurid details on how ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander was sexually violent | Mail Online

Afterwards she took pictures of him then threw the camera into a washer
 
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Cali
3,904 posts, read 6,205,196 times
Reputation: 2224
I'll say that Arias has been quite good on the witness stand. I'm not so sure there will be a guilty verdict.
 
Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM
 
4,253 posts, read 5,447,584 times
Reputation: 10299
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Anyone following this case? I didn't see a thread about here at C-D.

While her lies about what happened make it seem like she did it, it does seem a bit odd to me that the attack was so violent. The best explanation I can come up with for that is that her first attempt to kill him did not work, so it led her to keep using different methods until he was finally dead.

I think they are speculating that she stabbed him in the chest first, but it didn't kill him, so she then shot him. I guess I don't know how the stabs in his upper back and across his neck figure in to this scenario.

Like I said, given that she is someone without any known history of aggressive or violent behavior, I find it a bit amazing that this girl would do all of this.
I just want to thank you for bringing this case to my attention. I am in Australia so it isn't common knowledge here. I am a psychology student and have studied psychology of crime and abnormal psychology as part of the degree and I have found this case fascinating. I haven't read all of this thread yet as I didn't want any preconceived notions of the people involved as I gathered all the information and watched the trial. I'm pretty certain of the order of events in my mind (knowing what I do about the biology of the brain) and her motivations. I'm trying to work out if she is Psychopath or Borderline, I'm leaning toward Psychopath, in women it can be hard to differentiate between the two because the female Psychopath is different in emotional expression to the male. I wrote a paper on this (with Aileen Wournos as the subject) and read a whole lot of research about female psychopathy.

Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
Psychopathy in females is much less common than in males (Strand & Belfrage, 2005) and as such it is not as widely studied. Strand and Belfrage (2005) studied the difference between males and females diagnosed as psychopathic. This study showed that the commonly used models for psychopathy are based on the more common male psychopath and that there are indeed differences in the way this disorder presents between genders. It showed that of the listed items that defined psychopathy (Strand & Belfrage, 2005, p. 846) that women were “generally more impulsive and had worse behavioural control” (p. 847). Interestingly Strand and Belfrage’s (2005) study showed that the most common principal diagnosis for the female psychopath was Borderline Personality Disorder and this was Aileen Wuornos’ initial diagnoses when she was arrested. Aileen’s confession (quoted earlier), taken at face value, does display the lack of empathy and sense of entitlement common to psychopathy. The emotional disconnectedness of the psychopath makes them very good liars and both of Aileen’s confessions are very convincing. To be able to tell two such contradictory stories so convincingly can certainly be construed as being indicative of a psychopathic mind (Meloy, 2002).


part of a 2010 essay for Psychology of Crime written by me entitled "Aileen Wournos: Victim of Society or Female Psychopath?"
The trial has kept me occupied all weekend (it's Monday here now) and I haven't been able to see all of it (I finished watching day 21 last night) but have focused on some key witnesses and all of Jodi Arias' testimony....she is quite a piece of work isn't she? One thing you should never do with someone like her is get sucked into her act, she could convince you that black is white if it suited her purpose but for every lie there is a nugget of truth and it is discerning what those nuggets are (using the forensic evidence) that lead you to what really happened. The closest you will get to the truth from her is her second interview with the police. It was a made up story of two intruders but the female intruder was actually her, the story allowed her to dissociate from the act and be able to tell what happened. It gets jumbled and becomes implausible in the telling because she has to make up bits on the spot to avoid implicating herself but you can get an idea of what really happened if you mesh that with her 'self defense' story.

Anyway, I have loads of opinions on this case but I won't get into it now without reading the thread first.

Thanks again for this, I'm hoping I might be able to work an essay about her into one of my last two subjects for my degree.
 
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM
 
52,076 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Reputation: 32474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
I'm not really the type who likes blood or hurting other people.
You don't think aping the killers proven lies about him being an abusive pedophile would be hurtful to his friends and family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top