Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,256,775 times

Advertisements

Mental illness is not an excuse or justification for homicide. Arias planned and executed a man, with extreme violence.

To blame this crime on mental illness, creates a stigma, that mentally ill are dangerous, that is incorrect. Arias could have stopped the violence, if she had requested help. There is no indication she requested counseling or treatment for thoughts of harming another person.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM

313 posts, read 401,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
So what was the excuse for Darryl Brewer not testifying? What a mess...and why couldn't they just do the allocution portion today and get this over with? Such a waste of time...but good for Judge Sherry shutting down Baby Huey and his pathetic motions.
I didn't understand why no Brewer. No explanation. I have a feeling Nurmi wanted us to think it came under the umbrella of death threats.

Judge Stevens rocked b/c after she turned down DT's request for mistrial and withdrawal, she asked if they would have any witnesses. Nurmi said in a pouty childish away they had no witnesses. She then asked if JA would allocute. And next thing, allocution would happen tomorrow.

Doesn't make sense bc wasn't JA ready to testify today? So why couldn't they just go to JA, get it over w/. Now they've dragged it out another day. Ugh!!

Judge was clearly pissed (her face was red), but she's really polite and measured. I gotta say even though she's been somewhat lenient toward DT, when she needs to be firm, she is.

JA tried to get JW's attention a couple of time, and JW just ignored her. She's continuing to give her the cold shoulder.

What a crazy crazy case, eh!

Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,610,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
So what was the excuse for Darryl Brewer not testifying? What a mess...and why couldn't they just do the allocution portion today and get this over with? Such a waste of time...but good for Judge Sherry shutting down Baby Huey and his pathetic motions.
No one knows why Darryl didn't testify. Apparently, there will be NO witnesses for the defense!

He backed out, I suppose. Really, who would want to align themselves with Jodi?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,935,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
This most definately a DV related case whether you believe Jodi was abused or not, they had an intimate relationship and Travis was murdered.

Now its turned into spells and witchcraft. I'm surprised you would buy into it CW.

No, no, no I don't buy into spells and witchcraft ... I do buy into evil and believe evil is present in our world ... but I am a Christian and my beliefs are stronger than anything a witch could throw at me. I think Arias just has the ability to manipulate people ... she is now trying to come across as the nice girl ... gentle speaking ... the pauses and fake tears ... not the blonde bombshell with the store bought boobs and all the wondrous tricks in bed.

The only DV I have seen is what Arias did to Travis Alexander, he was a victim of DV which ended in his death. I know you don't agree with this and that is fine with me but there has been no evidence whatsoever that Arias was abused.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,566,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Aloha everyone. Maui is truly paradise, I don't believe I'll ever tire of waking up to the smell of ocean and flowers...I highly recommend a vacation for everyone!![indent]
Wow. I need a vacation there. Then, I can think clearer..

Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,566,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No one knows why Darryl didn't testify. Apparently, there will be NO witnesses for the defense!

He backed out, I suppose. Really, who would want to align themselves with Jodi?
What I don't understand is that why no family member tesify for her? No matter what, JA is their sister, daughter, and grand daughter.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,480,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
No, no, no I don't buy into spells and witchcraft ... I do buy into evil and believe evil is present in our world ... but I am a Christian and my beliefs are stronger than anything a witch could throw at me. I think Arias just has the ability to manipulate people ... she is now trying to come across as the nice girl ... gentle speaking ... the pauses and fake tears ... not the blonde bombshell with the store bought boobs and all the wondrous tricks in bed.

The only DV I have seen is what Arias did to Travis Alexander, he was a victim of DV which ended in his death. I know you don't agree with this and that is fine with me but there has been no evidence whatsoever that Arias was abused.
My apologies, I misunderstood.. Other than a side note on any witchcraft practices, I don't buy into those theories.

Travis was weak when it came to their sexual connection.

Abuse can be covert and not obvious to others.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcatnip View Post
I didn't understand why no Brewer. No explanation. I have a feeling Nurmi wanted us to think it came under the umbrella of death threats.

Judge Stevens rocked b/c after she turned down DT's request for mistrial and withdrawal, she asked if they would have any witnesses. Nurmi said in a pouty childish away they had no witnesses. She then asked if JA would allocute. And next thing, allocution would happen tomorrow.

Doesn't make sense bc wasn't JA ready to testify today? So why couldn't they just go to JA, get it over w/. Now they've dragged it out another day. Ugh!!

Judge was clearly pissed (her face was red), but she's really polite and measured. I gotta say even though she's been somewhat lenient toward DT, when she needs to be firm, she is.

JA tried to get JW's attention a couple of time, and JW just ignored her. She's continuing to give her the cold shoulder.

What a crazy crazy case, eh!
Judge was peed off because Nurmi wanted a "stay to seek emergency relief" ... which means that the trial proceedings would be halted while Nurmi & Willmott goes to a higher court to ask for one or more of Judge Stephen's rulings to be overturned. If I was a judge that would upset me too. Going over her head. All of that can be handled in appeals.

Personally, I don't know if this is just how the Arizona Judicial System works but to me the judge could have moved the case along much faster. Monday thru Friday have jury report at 8:30 and start the trial promptly at 9:00 to 5:00 ... two 15 minute breaks, one hour for lunch. I realize things are different in a death penalty case but it has been so long and drawn out with all the cancellations, delays and in chamber meetings. This trial never ever started on time.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
What I don't understand is that why no family member tesify for her? No matter what, JA is their sister, daughter, and grand daughter.
Mother nor Dad can testify without causing a problem ... remember the video taped statement both parents told Detective Flores of all the problems they had with Arias ... friends calling mom in the middle of the night telling her Arias needs help. Then dad saying she has lied to them since she was 14 and attacking her mom.

So if they get up there and try to tell of what a wonderful child she was ... what a great teenager she was and sing her praises Juan would have a field day with perjury. Both with Arias testifying how mean, strict her dad was and she left home when he grounded her for three months ... and mom beat her with a wooden spoon.

It seems to me the brother and sister would be the ones to testify and beg for their sister's life. But if Mom or Dad just got up there and asked the jury not to take my daughter's life and nothing else, I don't know why they can't do that. Even push grandma up there in her wheelchair with a handful of tissues and ask them to spare her granddaughter's life.

Also last Thursday Darryl was there ready to testify for Arias but then they had the brouhaha with Womack and Darryl sort of fell by the way. Today was all intentional by the defense ... no one to testify in Arias defense against the death penalty will be in their many appeals.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,604,028 times
I think they bailed on JA because they feel they have a life after this and most people don't like JA and perhaps they are scared for a backlash but that doesn't mean anybody will make a threat...just not thinking that anybody who defend JA will have commons sense is a sane person.

It could also mean they have changed their mind and don't believe that JA is innocent and don't feel like begging for her life any longer.

The defense team has no other choice than to use the words "abused woman, JA is the victim, witnesses are threatened, etc."

After the statements of the sistr and brother of Travis, every one standing up for JA will look like a fool, that is not making a threat but it is the truth and it has been long enough that Travis has been trashed by the defendent and her team...people get sick of the blame game against the victim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.