U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 03:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No apology to the Alexander family.

Every other word out of her mouth was "I".

Did anyone catch her subtle manipulation of the Jury? She mentioned that the only way for Travis' brother to never again see the face of his brother's killer is if she gets life in prison! Apparently suggesting that if she gets the death penalty, Travis' family will have to attend numerous appeals in the future.

Can you imagine what she would do in general population?!
The girl is smart, highly manipulative and knows psychology; unbelievable for a h.s. dropout.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,975,443 times
I think she should have apologized to the Alexander family too, but I thought I heard on HLN that she wasn't allowed to address his family during her statement. But that doesn't make sense.

I don't think she should be put to death because it's just wrong. The death penalty is unequally doled out. There are people who have committed far more heinous murders who are not put to death depending on the quality of their defense and what state the crime occurred in. Whether or not you are put to death for a heinous crime should not depend on geographic location.

I'm not excusing her terrible crime, but there are people who have tortured, raped, and murdered children who are not put to death. She had no previous criminal history whereas many killers have perpetrated crimes for decades, and they are still not put to death.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM

500 posts, read 317,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
She had no previous criminal history whereas many killers have perpetrated crimes for decades, and they are still not put to death.
Executing her will ensure she doesn't have a criminal history.

See how it works? It works every time. That's the beauty of it.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
Executing her will ensure she doesn't have a criminal history.

See how it works? It works every time. That's the beauty of it.
If someone murdered me, I would rather they get life in prison and be allowed to redeem themselves. Then something good might come out of it.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:42 PM

OK, serial killer Robert Berdella did not get the death penalty. Read about what he did. Now, to me THIS is truly heinous, and involved prolonged torture of multiple victims.

Warning: you need a strong stomach to read this.

Robert Berdella | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

He didn't get the death penalty, and Jodi Arias does---not right.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:05 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,768,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I think she should have apologized to the Alexander family too, but I thought I heard on HLN that she wasn't allowed to address his family during her statement. But that doesn't make sense.

I don't think she should be put to death because it's just wrong. The death penalty is unequally doled out. There are people who have committed far more heinous murders who are not put to death depending on the quality of their defense and what state the crime occurred in. Whether or not you are put to death for a heinous crime should not depend on geographic location.

I'm not excusing her terrible crime, but there are people who have tortured, raped, and murdered children who are not put to death. She had no previous criminal history whereas many killers have perpetrated crimes for decades, and they are still not put to death.
You can't compare this trial and another trial and say because someone else did a more horrific killing and did not get death then Jodi Arias should not this has nothing to do with another trial this is a trial that is judged on its own.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:08 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,758,393 times
The justice system isn't perfect by any means...sometimes the guilty walk away free or they get sentences that seem far too lenient. Sometimes innocent people get convicted. Every case is different...in this case, I don't see Jodi as someone with any possibility of being redeemed. We know she did this crime and we know that she's a sociopath without remorse. She did torture Travis. Because she was arrested after killing one person, I don't think that means she isn't "evil enough" to kill again. I think she totally would. When she was apprehended she had a knife and 9mm gun in the car and she was getting ready to go on the run.

I'm fine with whatever the jury decides now. I just don't want her to ever have the possibility of parole or to have the ability to continue her manipulation, or become the belle of the ball in prison society...so the death penalty seems most appropriate.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
You can't compare this trial and another trial and say because someone else did a more horrific killing and did not get death then Jodi Arias should not this has nothing to do with another trial this is a trial that is judged on its own.
All murders are horrific. This one doesn't stand out as particularly heinous in my opinion. Travis suffered for about 2 minutes.

There are other cases where someone is systematically tortured for days or months until they die of the torture, including young children who are murdered by their parents. This happens EVERY day, given that on average 5 children a day die in the U.S. from abuse and neglect. Some of these children are horrifically abused by a parent for their entire lifetime, and that parent doesn't get the death penalty.

This just isn't a particularly heinous murder. Yes, you have to judge this on its own, but on its own I don't think it is that heinous.

Last edited by ellemint; 05-21-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Also I am not blaming Travis for his death, but he shares some responsibility for still carrying on with Jodi even though he admitted he was through with her and was even afraid of her.

When she showed up at his house the last time he could have physically thrown her out of the house---he was a grown man not a helpless child. He didn't need to engage in sex with her which just encouraged her obsession.

He bears more responsibility than a helpless child who is abducted off the street, raped, tortured, and murdered for example.

So if I was on the jury I would also consider that.

Also I think Jodi has mental problems, and we shouldn't be executing the mentally ill.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 PM

25,879 posts, read 39,142,774 times
Arizona life sentence means after 25 years she can get out on parole!!!

That is crazy which means she wins!

To me there is only one answer to that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime