U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 AM

72,114 posts, read 83,802,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
No more glasses in her latest interview and the hesitation to answer the question about for who and why she didn't ask FOR DEATH WAS VERY CLEAR.

This woman keeps getting the chance to try to fool people and is her own worst anemy when it comes to appeals.

I hope the jurors will give her the death penalty since this is a clear case of the right person being convicted, no doubt about that part and that way she will be locked up 23 hrs a day. Travis is gone forever!
I with you 100%. I am one of those who believes in capitol punishment, but only is certain situations and this is one. It was obviously a pre-meditated murder, she did it in cold blood and violently and there is no reason to spare her life.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,742,032 times
Jodi to jury: Uh yeah...I shot Travis point blank in the forehead and I stabbed him 30 times but I recycle...can't we just call it even?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM

25,921 posts, read 39,232,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
Jodi to jury: Uh yeah...I shot Travis point blank in the forehead and I stabbed him 30 times but I recycle...can't we just call it even?
The t-shirt thing and locks for love were to me just a slap in the face of the family...spare her life because she is such a good person..? It almost made me throw up when I heard the words coming out of her mouth and than on top of that I just saw pieces of the interview she gave last night..OMG

When will the Jodi show be ending. I do have to say she is making tv sensation and many channels will love that they get more viewers thanks to the 15 min. of fame Jodi is getting.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,067,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
She had no prior violent history, there was stalking.

I don't want to speculate, but I'm not understanding how he agreed to hours of sex with sexually explicit photos, discuss his private life with a women he feared after letting herself into his home uninvited and then tell her he's taking a trip with his new girlfriend to Mexico?

There's something wrong with this picture.

We'll see what the jury decides.
If she just kept her mouth shut, called 911 after the killing and admitted it immediately to police, she may have a chance. But she has tried to manipulate the investigation, her lawyer and media in a twisted way, so now she is at the door step of DP. Sadly, she is obviously very sick mentally.

People in this jury are pretty intelligent. I don't know at what extent they are disgusted by her. Her crime alone may not send her to death. All her TV interviews may just accomplish that. Let us see.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 AM

9,233 posts, read 9,303,002 times
We'll see what the jury does in this case. I have mixed emotions about the death penalty here. Although, I think life without parole is a better sentence. The factors that point towards the death penalty here are primarily the way she killed Travis. A cut throat and 27 seven stab wounds is pretty awful.

My objections to the death penalty in this case are that this homicide grew out of a "messed up relationship between a man and a woman". I think ordinarily that homicides that occur between spouses, boyfriends/girlfriends are not cases where the death penalty should be on the table. Why? I think the emotions that grow out of relationships put the state of mind of the perpetrator in a separate category from say someone who kidnaps and murders either a child or an adult. I certainly don't justify such killings, but I don't see them as quite as outrageous as a sex offender who murders a child.

I do see some exceptions to my rule. I would feel differently about a spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend who hired someone to kill their significant other. I would feel differently if the murder was committed simply to obtain life insurance money. Those kind of cases would make imposition of the death penalty easier at least for me.

FTR, I do not feel that premeditation alone in a homicide is a sufficient reason to impose the death penalty. If you start using that as the criteria, we'll probably have to execute about 5,000 to 10,000 people a year in this country because that's about how many premeditated homicides there are. Don't even go there. If the system even attempted to execute this many people a year, we'd have several dozen mistakes a year. The outcry from this would be so overwhelming, that I'm confident we end up abolishing capital punishment completely.

I have to admit I will also be grateful for a verdict just so that everyone can stop talking about Jodi Arias. The whole case has taken on proportions that are ridiculous. Doesn't anyone else ever fear that the notoriety that people like Arias get simply encourages some losers who seek infamy and notoriety because they know in real life they could never do anything worthy of fame or adoration? I know I do fear that.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-22-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,304,965 times
In some ways, the DP is what she wants. Many sociopaths prefer to go out this way. It's a form of perverted glory and fame. I am quite sure that Arias is a sociopath, and while I've not been following this case as closely as some of you have, I seem to remember that this is what she wants.

It would be fast, there would be those who would protest and give her attention and sympathy. There might be interviews, followed by reprieves and then more interviews and more time in the spotlight. Those who get LWoP, fall quickly from the spotlight and the public consciousness.

Which would be worse for Arias?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM

72,114 posts, read 83,802,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In some ways, the DP is what she wants. Many sociopaths prefer to go out this way. It's a form of perverted glory and fame. I am quite sure that Arias is a sociopath, and while I've not been following this case as closely as some of you have, I seem to remember that this is what she wants.

It would be fast, there would be those who would protest and give her attention and sympathy. There might be interviews, followed by reprieves and then more interviews and more time in the spotlight. Those who get LWoP, fall quickly from the spotlight and the public consciousness.

Which would be worse for Arias?
Sheena, I haven't followed it as closely as some either, though I have more in the past say, month or so. Yes, she has asked for the Death Penalty but I have heard that could be a ploy so she won't get it. Especially when we try to think out of the box, like she apparently does: she says give me death, thus hoping the sentence will be what she says she doesn't want; life!!!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,762,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
We'll see what the jury does in this case. I have mixed emotions about the death penalty here. Although, I think life without parole is a better sentence. The factors that point towards the death penalty here are primarily the way she killed Travis. A cut throat and 27 seven stab wounds is pretty awful.

My objections to the death penalty in this case are that this homicide grew out of a "messed up relationship between a man and a woman". I think ordinarily that homicides that occur between spouses, boyfriends/girlfriends are not cases where the death penalty should be on the table. Why? I think the emotions that grow out of relationships put the state of mind of the perpetrator in a separate category from say someone who kidnaps and murders either a child or an adult. I certainly don't justify such killings, but I don't see them as quite as outrageous as a sex offender who murders a child.

I do see some exceptions to my rule. I would feel differently about a spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend who hired someone to kill their significant other. I would feel differently if the murder was committed simply to obtain life insurance money. Those kind of cases would make imposition of the death penalty easier at least for me.

FTR, I do not feel that premeditation alone in a homicide is a sufficient reason to impose the death penalty. If you start using that as the criteria, we'll probably have to execute about 5,000 to 10,000 people a year in this country because that's about how many premeditated homicides there are. Don't even go there. If the system even attempted to execute this many people a year, we'd have several dozen mistakes a year. The outcry from this would be so overwhelming, that I'm confident we end up abolishing capital punishment completely.

I have to admit I will also be grateful for a verdict just so that everyone can stop talking about Jodi Arias. The whole case has taken on proportions that are ridiculous. Doesn't anyone else ever fear that the notoriety that people like Arias get simply encourages some losers who seek infamy and notoriety because they know in real life they could never do anything worthy of fame or adoration? I know I do fear that.
It wasn't just a premeditated murder. There has to be at least one aggravating factor to qualify for the death penalty...in this case, the jury found the murder was "especially cruel." She practically decapitated the guy in addition to the over 2 dozen stab wounds and the gunshot to the head.

I can understand both sides of the death penalty argument, but cases like this are exactly why it's needed, IMO. Jodi is not only lacking in remorse, but she continues to victimize, manipulate and harass anyone who doesn't play her games. I don't think that "mental problems" or the fact that the killer and victim were in a relationship should be excuses to take the death penalty off the table. If someone can consciously do what she did to another human being...that is especially cruel. It wasn't a crime of passion, she planned this out with a chilling amount of forethought. She could have changed her mind at any point until she started stabbing him...but she was determined to do it simply because she felt he had no right to live if he didn't want her.

As for notoriety, well, there are always going to be famous murderers and a small group of unbalanced sycophants that admire them. I think she will fade away soon enough like Scott Peterson...I'm sure he still has his core group of disturbed fans, but the general public doesn't care about him in the slightest.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,468,360 times
....IMO. Jodi is not only lacking in remorse, but she continues to victimize, manipulate and harass anyone who doesn't play her games.

I too have mixed feelings about the death penalty and one component, for me, is that there has to be, not only beyond a reasonable doubt, but also if there is no evidence, none whatsoever, of remorse, sincerity, apologies, and/or anything of the like.

I watched with total amazement the diatrobe Jodi Arias tried to convey to the jurors when she spoke; I shuddered listening to her talk about all of the amazing and wondrous things she has done, the contributions she believes she could make to and for the other inmates such as teaching them Spanish, or helping them to become more literate, or to bring more of an understanding and awareness of domestic violence, etc.

I was not in the least bit surprised that she did not acknowledge [certainly not significantly, if at all] what her actions did to the Alexander family -- that her family would suffer tremendously if she was to be put to death -- why it was important for her/her family that the jury let her live.

I take issue with many things she has said; I take issue with what I call "using" the arena of domestic violence-- no doubt there are many victim/survivors of domestic violence who take issue with her claim -- I am a victim/survivor of domestic violence and thus, I believe [smile] it puts me [as well as all of the other thousands and thousands of v/s] in the category of experts in that field, sadly enough. I believe it is reprehensible that she would use that arena to help sway the jury.

I take issue with the fact that once again, in any way possible, she places herself in the center stage [comb, make-up and all] to plead to now the press/reporters.

I think she does not give a dam* about anything or anyone else but herself; I do not believe she has given a nickel of time to think about the true ramifications of what she did and how it devastated a family and friends; I do not believe she has any remorse and I think she is clearly and fully aware of everything she did and why she did it.

I think she believes she will be able to worm her way out of a death sentence because I think she believes she has more importance than anyone else within her circle of friends/family.

I think she is outrageously manipulative, a crafty liar, and pretty much plans everything she is going to do, act and say.

I think she is going to be stunned, outraged and perhaps even frightened if the jury does not sentence her to life in prison.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

17,664 posts, read 11,220,636 times
Reflecting back on this case, if Jodi had only stabbed him 1 or 2 times, not slit his throat and shot him, then called the police and said she had to fight for her life, things might have been totally different. A jury MAY have bought her argument that he had attacked her. Please don't interpret that as me saying I think she was in any way innocent, I think she is guilty as hell, but I just think if it weren't for the gross overkill of 29 stab wounds, slit throat, then the gunshot wound, she could have had more sympathy from the jury.

I will be very surprised if they come back with a death penalty decision...........she deserves it, but to get 12 people to unanimously agree to that verdict will be very hard. But we on this forum, and the rest of the people who feel as we do, should be very satisfied that we got 99% of what we felt was justice. The jury sent a strong message that 1) it was premeditated, and 2) it was cruel. At the very least she will spend the rest of her life in prison and I can not even imagine if I were given that fate how terrible every day of my life from here on in would be. She will have years and years to think about her choices and suffer for making those decisions.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime