U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM

912 posts, read 1,253,728 times

Advertisements

No glasses – what a surprise.

The thing about all of this is that Jodi really thinks she’s being crafty and pulling one over on everyone. I can practically see the little wheels in her head a-twirlin’ thinking that she’s so smart while she’s talking. Her lawyer really needs to advise her to stop giving jailhouse interviews – maybe he has, but she thrives on the attention too much.

She does have one point, though – if she gets the DP, this case really will drag on for years and she’ll love every moment of it. Every time an appeal of hers is denied, her name will be back in the media and I guarantee you there will be another prison interview with her.

In this case, I sincerely hope that she is given life in prison with no possibility of parole. She’ll have an appeal or two, but they’ll be done quickly, and she’ll be faced with a long life of people outside of prison not caring who she is. She’ll have a few years of alone time in segregation while the notoriety around her case calms down, and after that? Release her in to general population. Fine. Let her make “friends” in prison as long as the general public – and the Alexanders in particular – never have to see her face again.

My heart goes out to the Alexanders, who have had to listen and see horrific things in court. My hope is that they’re not watching her jailhouse interviews.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,021,457 times
I think executing the mentally ill is a bad road to go down....it was in the United States in 1900 that population cleansing was implemented first, Nazi Germany population cleansing begin after 1930.

Eugenics or population cleansing, started with the mentally ill, then to criminals, and went on from there....
It's a bad road that this world has already learned it's lessons from.

I think the jurors are evolved enough to realize execution is not necessary. This world needs to evolve...

Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,958,316 times
Agree, Travis Alexanders death was premeditated and not in self defense.... to this extent Arias is using the DV arena.

I have no doubts Travis was a good person, however, there's hypocrisy in his relationships that veer off course from his Mormon motivational speaking and teachings. Weak, but not outrageously manipulated.

For this reason, I have no difficulty believing they were mutually violent episodes, including their
sadomasochistic sexual style.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:30 PM

17,697 posts, read 11,255,729 times
Well, there is a difference between being mentally ill and being mentally incompetent. Let's face it, anyone who kills someone else, unless it is self defense, has a few screws loose. But it is a whole nuther thing to be mentally incompetent.........that is where the person doesn't comprehend that their act was wrong. Jodi is certainly sick and she has mental issues, BUT she knew what she did was wrong otherwise she wouldn't have gone to such great lengths to cover up or deny the killing.

We can discuss if condemning someone to death is right or wrong until the cows come home and that is not the issue here at all. The issue is simply did Jodi do such a horrible murder that she should pay in an appropriate way, under the law, for that killing. IMO, if there was ever a case where death was warranted, this is it. She literally butchered Travis, not just killing him, but slaughtering him and thinking so little of him that she left him to rot in that shower for 5 days. THAT IMO is a crime for which the murderer should lose their own life too.

Don

Old 05-22-2013, 12:33 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,851,316 times
There is no comparison to the death penalty and ethnic cleansing.

Eugenics or population cleansing, started with the mentally ill, then to criminals, and went on from there....
It's a bad road that this world has already learned it's lessons from

Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I think executing the mentally ill is a bad road to go down....
I've made references to Arias as disturbed.
Has it been determined she's mentally ill?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,764,156 times
Millions of people have some form of mental illness, but they know better than to take someone's life. If Jodi was not competent to stand trial we would not have been sitting through all of this for the past five months. She's sane, she has a normal IQ, she is just as eligible for the death penalty as Ted Bundy was or anyone else.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:02 PM

This bothers me......

An active social life and career, 5 days? My family would have called the police after 24hrs.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM

313 posts, read 352,299 times
Just heard jury came back telling the judge they can't come to a unanimous decision. Judge sent them back. I bet it's more than 1 person wavering on life vs death.

At this point if LWOP truly means she'll never get out and hurt anyone, I'll be happy if they come back w/ LWOP. That'll mean they can go home, and she can be sent to prison & she can fade into obscurity.

I know, ain't gonna happen, but at least JA won't be able to create as much drama as w/ the numerous appeals w/ DP.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,469,726 times
I do not believe for one minute that Jodi Arias is mentally ill; I think she has a personality disorder[s] which is not the same -- borderline personality? histrionic? narcissistic? perhaps one or all -- those who have personality disorders certainly, I believe, know the difference between right and wrong - they just are far more concerned with themselves and their own welfare than those of others.

And, given that she still opts for the limelight in any manner she can obtain it -- she knows what she is doing - she is manipulative, she is provocative, she is selfish, she is calculating and clearly in control of her thoughts and her actions -- that alone, to me, makes her even more dangerous and scary.

And, what if she does not get her way in some other situation while she is in prison - does that mean she would respond in a similar manner, I believe she would. What if she were shunned or ostracized by someone else she liked within DOC, would she do something to harm that person, physically or in some other manner - I think she would. What if someone did not like her artwork, etc. - no, in this case, I do not feel she is deserving of a life sentence. I do not think she respects anyone else's life other than her own.

And, that is tough for me to even say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime