U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,237,851 times

Advertisements

This is a woman who thinks she can redeem herself for a very violent murder by recycling. She says if she got out of jail again she would be "very responsible". What a strange way of saying she wouldn't kill anyone else (who doesn't attack her, she adds). She doesn't sound like someone who values human life much at all. Having heard every word of the trial, which I didn't, I might reach a different conclusion. I certainly wouldn't make the decision lightly. But from what I have seen, she doesn't deserve anyone's mercy, and she should certainly never walk free in society again.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:58 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,864,806 times
I think the media is simply taking advantage of her mental status. something like Bedlam, back in the Victorian Era, where they used to sell admission to watch the "crazy people". Isn't this essentially the same? We're all getting a glimpse into the mind of a killer, and getting a giggle out of it. I simply can't believe the jury is able to see all that, whatever happened to sequestered juries?

The warden of her prison, I forget his name, said he has an open door policy for the media. Any prisoner who wishes to talk to the media can do so, and whatever effect such interviews have on the outcome of a trial are "not his problem". Ok, so, JA is free to babble her guts out, but takes the consequences. She's only digging herself further in. While I tried to have some compassion for her, its hard with the way she presents herself. Ok, perhaps she's just poor at expressing herself, especially under intense stress. But what kills it for me is the obsession with the makeup! where does she get the makeup from, anyways? She said on one interview the reason her hair went from blonde to brown is, they don't have Clairol in prison, that's her natural color. that's what I figured, however, where does all the makeup come from, and why is she so obsessed with it? Its like she's trying to hide her real self.

Personally, I would hate to see her get life, because there's always a chance for parole later. If she's unbalanced now, think what she would be like after years in prison, would we want such running loose?
Also, I didn't like the way she referred to her family. she pointed in their direction and said "them". Strange way to refer to your family, I would have said something like my dear parents, not "them".

JA is a very strange and dangerous person, someone society could do better without!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,393 times
She's not crazy...she is calculated as all get out. Not only does she have complete self-control, she tries to control everyone and everything around her. Jared Loughner is an example of someone who is truly severely mentally ill (schizophrenic). They had to put him on anti-psychotics for a year before he was competent to stand trial.

The jury isn't supposed to watch or read anything about the trial. The financial costs to the state to sequester the jury for months, and the mental and emotional toll that would have taken on the jurors, just aren't worth it. I mean, they're already approaching $2 million to convict this waste of air. Ultimately, the jurors need to make their decisions based on the evidence presented in court. All we can do is trust them to do their job as instructed.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,177,890 times
That Sheriff Joe was a complete idiot on HLN After Dark last night. What a strange guy.

Don

Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,826,042 times
OK, I just heard part of an interview jodi gave last night. One of the questions to her was "what were the last words Travis spoke to you?"

jodi's answer: just idle chit-chat about the pictures, etc.

OK, I thought the last words he said to her were "kill you, *****".

Guess she forgot about that lie...

Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 PM

5,174 posts, read 8,696,248 times
Smile The media interviews

This is setting a precedent. The next one sure will want their 15 minutes of fame.

The whole thing makes me sick.

ABC - Why didn't you just put your foot down and she had to wear the striped shirt? She is a convict, remember?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,660,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
This whole thing is becoming a pathetic circus. I caught some snippets of her "media blitz" and I can't believe how some of these big shot "journalists" are treating her. One lady actually greeted her with a big smile and handshake like she was some kind of visiting dignitary! She's an effin' convicted murderer for Christ's sake! And maybe some of those idiotic hung jurors just want to snuggle and cuddle her and buy her effin' tee-shirts.

As Jed Clampett use to say: "Piiiiiiitiful"
Arias hand-picked who she talked to. There's a local TV reporter in Phoenix named Mike Watkiss who is a real bulldog. (If the name is familiar - he's famous for going after Warren Jeffs and the FLDS.) Watkiss is cut from the same cloth as Juan Martinez. He doesn't back down.

She didn't pick him. Too bad. He wouldn't have allowed her to manipulate him. (She's a murderer but she's not dumb. She knows Watkiss would have had her for lunch.)

Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,017,670 times
The death penalty creates a hypocrisy, as most executions are for homicide; by killing someone for killing someone else, the state relinquishes its moral high ground.

Jurisdictions that still use the death penalty do not have lower murder rates than jurisdictions that do not.

I would argue that Capital Punishment is just a sanitized form of Vengeance.

It appears the Alexander family has pushed past Justice. Life in Prison without Parole is the highest level Justice available to most Western Societies. It takes Jodi out of society, eliminating a dangerous risk to the Alexander family and friends well being.

Their recent behavior in court appears to me to be Vindictive. 2 million dollars was spent and Justice is served. The rolling of the eyes is immature and unnecessary. If they choose to let Jodi's psychosis get to them, then perhaps they should seek counseling. They can't control Jodi, but they can control how they cope with Jodi's behavior, and the trial, and get on with their lives.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,177,890 times
I'll tell you what, Trinity, let one of your close family members be slaughtered like Travis then have the killer get up on the stand and smugly drag them through the mud, then you might know how they feel. I can't begin to tell you how I would react if something like this happened to me, I would be the guy who would wake up every morning planning how I could get my hands on them to take out my own "justice."

It is easy to say turn the other cheek but I bet if you were ever put in this situation you would have an entirely different viewpoint on the subject. How anyone could not feel every emotion the Alexander family has been suppressing is not absolutely warranted and understandable is beyond me. Those poor people have been through hell and it isn't anywhere near being over yet for years to come.

Don

Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,894,650 times
If she thought she'd manipulate improving public opinion, it didn't happen.

She didn't interview well on key questions.....blank facial expressions with no sign of remorse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime