U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 PM

313 posts, read 351,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Jurisdictions that still use the death penalty do not have lower murder rates than jurisdictions that do not.
B/c the way DP is implemented is a joke.

Quote:
I would argue that Capital Punishment is just a sanitized form of Vengeance.
Better than giving the killer the same treatment s/he gave her/his victim. A sedative followed by a single injection is far more humane than how she killed TA.

Quote:
It appears the Alexander family has pushed past Justice.
That's pretty insensitive. In the interviews given by the family, they have mentioned Travis would want his killer to get DP. Why doesn't the family have the right to want a punishment (DP) that is available under AZ law?

Quote:
Their recent behavior in court appears to me to be Vindictive. 2 million dollars was spent and Justice is served. The rolling of the eyes is immature and unnecessary. If they choose to let Jodi's psychosis get to them, then perhaps they should seek counseling. They can't control Jodi, but they can control how they cope with Jodi's behavior, and the trial, and get on with their lives.
Wow. Really? So you'd be sitting there w/ a happy smile on your face if you were in their shoes? Or you'd just shrug it off - oh well, she just stabbed my brother 29 times, slit his throat, and shot him. No biggie. I should just move on w/ my life.

Such empathy, trinity1111. Not.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
She's not crazy...she is calculated as all get out. Not only does she have complete self-control, she tries to control everyone and everything around her. Jared Loughner is an example of someone who is truly severely mentally ill (schizophrenic). They had to put him on anti-psychotics for a year before he was competent to stand trial.

The jury isn't supposed to watch or read anything about the trial. The financial costs to the state to sequester the jury for months, and the mental and emotional toll that would have taken on the jurors, just aren't worth it. I mean, they're already approaching $2 million to convict this waste of air. Ultimately, the jurors need to make their decisions based on the evidence presented in court. All we can do is trust them to do their job as instructed.
I knew she was up to something!!! If the jury can't reach a verdict ... the following will happen:

1. The State would be asked to consider removing the death penalty but I don't think the state would do that but it would be Bill Montgomery's decision with input from Juan. If desperate they may consider LWOP option only. But I just don't think the death penalty will be removed.

2. Impanel a new jury ... to impanel a new jury, the new jury would be told that they must accept that Arias is guilty of 1st degree premeditated murder with the aggravating circumstance of cruelty. If the second panel deadlocks, the judge will then sentence Arias to spend her entire life in prison (LWOP) or be eligible for release after 25 years less time served. The judge cannot sentence Arias to death.

Ha Ha Ha ... this is where Arias manipulation comes in ... I knew she was up to something with all the TV interviews last night ... maybe they could go to the wilds of Alaska and find some potential juror that never heard of Arias. Do you think there is any person ... just 12 people in Arizona that has never heard of Jodi Arias??? I don't know if they would need 12 or 18 ... do you have any street people, the homeless living under the interstate bridges or ladies of the night. Perhaps they haven't heard of Arias. Judge Stephens messed up lifting that gag order on interviews before the verdict came down.

So with no verdict yesterday, Arias quickly jumped on all the TV interviews she possibly could ... she knows the way the system works ... if they reached the death penalty she is gone to Perryville Death Row within two hours ... straight from the courtroom. No TV interviews on death row.

Sheriff Joe made me mad too ... she is a convicted murderer ... he can shout First Amendment Rights all he wants ... but why did he allow her to wear a sweater instead of the jailhouse stripes. She had on the bottoms but not the top. Why did he allow this circus until the wee hours of the morning. I always thought he portrayed himself as running a tough jail ... so did he allow Arias to manipulate him too.

Arias laid out the stipulations of the interviews ... hair done and make-up and no cameras on her while she applied the make-up and did her hair. No pictures below her waist, could not show the jailhouse pants or the chains. But AP got a pic:

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 05-22-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Arias hand-picked who she talked to. There's a local TV reporter in Phoenix named Mike Watkiss who is a real bulldog. (If the name is familiar - he's famous for going after Warren Jeffs and the FLDS.) Watkiss is cut from the same cloth as Juan Martinez. He doesn't back down.

She didn't pick him. Too bad. He wouldn't have allowed her to manipulate him. (She's a murderer but she's not dumb. She knows Watkiss would have had her for lunch.)
Ryan Owens didn't let her manipulate him ... she said "oh you are one of the haters!"

Jodi Arias Interview 2013: Arias Calls Reporter 'Hater, Says She Feels 'Betrayed' By Jury | Video - ABC News

Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,016,840 times
The most industrialized and advanced countries around the world have abandoned the death penalty, and by keeping the DP, the U.S. lowers itself down in the same category as under developed countries with tyrannical governments.
China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq....

The United States has not only maximum security prisons, but "super maximum" prisons where prisoners are completely isolated from guards and other inmates. I think society is well protected from Jodi. If people in society watch TV, and the Lifetime Movie, then that's a choice.

I realize this trial is an emotional charged issue for a lot of people, yet I have to side with the abolitionists on this one.

This moral/ethical decision is up to 12 individuals to make, or not to make.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM

9,181 posts, read 9,265,199 times
I will say this. The penalty that Travis's family wants should be irrelevant to this process.

If Jodi receives the death penalty it should be because after following the judges instructions and deliberating they believed that the law called for that punishment for this crime. If they do reach that verdict on that basis, I can accept it. The jury was in a better position to judge the outcome of this case than any of us were who sat on the sidelines. After weeks of effort on their part, I'm willing to respect the verdict they reach.

On the other hand, if the jury believes after deliberations and carefully examining the judge's instructions that the most appropriate punishment is life in prison without parole than I can accept that as well.

What I don't accept is a system where a perpetrator's punishment is determined by what families or what other private individuals want. That is the antithesis of a legal system which renders uniform justice. Such a system will always reach different results simply on the basis of how important a victim's standing was within the community or how many biological family members he/she happened to have.

Anyway, we'll see. Its looking more and more like the jury won't be able to agree on a verdict of capital punishment. Either someone will change their mind soon, or there will be a hung jury.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
The law has provided for a death penalty in our society. If ever a murderer deserved the DP, Jodi Arias does. If the justice system cannot find the DP for her, it is seriously not serving our society.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
I agree, no interviews would have been better. This just allowed Jodi to preen, and act like she is really a great person. Sick. We should not glamorize and make killers celebrities.

The problem with televised trials, is that criminals are now elevated to entertainment, and become famous. In their twisted thinking, this means they are popular, and getting attention, it just feeds their dysfunctional pathology.

The interviews were really an opportunity for Jodi to celebrate her criminal status, and was really almost a reward to her. The greatest punishment for Jodi, would have been to just go to her cell, alone.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,739,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I knew she was up to something!!! If the jury can't reach a verdict ... the following will happen:

1. The State would be asked to consider removing the death penalty but I don't think the state would do that but it would be Bill Montgomery's decision with input from Juan. If desperate they may consider LWOP option only. But I just don't think the death penalty will be removed.

2. Impanel a new jury ... to impanel a new jury, the new jury would be told that they must accept that Arias is guilty of 1st degree premeditated murder with the aggravating circumstance of cruelty. If the second panel deadlocks, the judge will then sentence Arias to spend her entire life in prison (LWOP) or be eligible for release after 25 years less time served. The judge cannot sentence Arias to death.

Ha Ha Ha ... this is where Arias manipulation comes in ... I knew she was up to something with all the TV interviews last night ... maybe they could go to the wilds of Alaska and find some potential juror that never heard of Arias. Do you think there is any person ... just 12 people in Arizona that has never heard of Jodi Arias??? I don't know if they would need 12 or 18 ... do you have any street people, the homeless living under the interstate bridges or ladies of the night. Perhaps they haven't heard of Arias. Judge Stephens messed up lifting that gag order on interviews before the verdict came down.

So with no verdict yesterday, Arias quickly jumped on all the TV interviews she possibly could ... she knows the way the system works ... if they reached the death penalty she is gone to Perryville Death Row within two hours ... straight from the courtroom. No TV interviews on death row.

Sheriff Joe made me mad too ... she is a convicted murderer ... he can shout First Amendment Rights all he wants ... but why did he allow her to wear a sweater instead of the jailhouse stripes. She had on the bottoms but not the top. Why did he allow this circus until the wee hours of the morning. I always thought he portrayed himself as running a tough jail ... so did he allow Arias to manipulate him too.

Arias laid out the stipulations of the interviews ... hair done and make-up and no cameras on her while she applied the make-up and did her hair. No pictures below her waist, could not show the jailhouse pants or the chains. But AP got a pic:
Those horizontal stripes make you look fat Jodi...

Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
The most industrialized and advanced countries around the world have abandoned the death penalty, and by keeping the DP, the U.S. lowers itself down in the same category as under developed countries with tyrannical governments.
China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq....

The United States has not only maximum security prisons, but "super maximum" prisons where prisoners are completely isolated from guards and other inmates. I think society is well protected from Jodi. If people in society watch TV, and the Lifetime Movie, then that's a choice.

I realize this trial is an emotional charged issue for a lot of people, yet I have to side with the abolitionists on this one.

This moral/ethical decision is up to 12 individuals to make, or not to make.
I guess turning this into a DP debate is off topic and will probably get this thread locked. But I must say your post is factually incorrect. Even most of the European countries have DP in there laws for certain cases - times of warfare, etc.
And it is not limited to tyrannical countries - Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, many other countries with democratic systems of government, still actively use the DP.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM

25,877 posts, read 39,135,773 times
I wish more countries had the DP. Did you see what happened in the UK yesterday? A soldier murdered yesterday in the street...beheaded!

With the DP that would not happen so fast or at least these people would be death sooner than later than getting what most European countries have which is life sentence and they don't have the "without parole" so life means in The Netherlands 21 years minus years for good behavior which results in 13 years for murder as we have seen people getting out after killing someone!

People like Jodi and these muslims that killed tht soldier yesterday as well as Ted Bundi, etc. have proven to me that the DP is needed and should stay in place!

Jodi is smart and I don't mind that Joe allowed the interview but I do agree she should n't be able to get different clothes on after she was convicted for murder!

With these interviews Jodi is risking her chances for appeals so that is all on her that it now can be used against her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime