U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,394,476 times
Reputation: 5654

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I will say this. The penalty that Travis's family wants should be irrelevant to this process.

If Jodi receives the death penalty it should be because after following the judges instructions and deliberating they believed that the law called for that punishment for this crime. If they do reach that verdict on that basis, I can accept it. The jury was in a better position to judge the outcome of this case than any of us were who sat on the sidelines. After weeks of effort on their part, I'm willing to respect the verdict they reach.

On the other hand, if the jury believes after deliberations and carefully examining the judge's instructions that the most appropriate punishment is life in prison without parole than I can accept that as well.

What I don't accept is a system where a perpetrator's punishment is determined by what families or what other private individuals want. That is the antithesis of a legal system which renders uniform justice. Such a system will always reach different results simply on the basis of how important a victim's standing was within the community or how many biological family members he/she happened to have.

Anyway, we'll see. Its looking more and more like the jury won't be able to agree on a verdict of capital punishment. Either someone will change their mind soon, or there will be a hung jury.
If this case wasn't getting so much media I bet many people would not be for the death penalty. It is very easy to type anything from the comfort of your home. What is no that easy is being charge of that decision and living with it for the rest of your life.

Many men kill their wives/girlfriends during domestic disputes and only serve 5-7 years in prison and people here are outraged that Jodi might get LWOP instead of the death penalty? Just because it was a televised case it doesn't make it worse than those anonymus Domestic violence victims who Nancy Grace doesn't care to defend because the killers are not young women who increase the TV ratings.

 
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 AM
 
1,817 posts, read 2,758,891 times
Reputation: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I will say this. The penalty that Travis's family wants should be irrelevant to this process.

If Jodi receives the death penalty it should be because after following the judges instructions and deliberating they believed that the law called for that punishment for this crime. If they do reach that verdict on that basis, I can accept it. The jury was in a better position to judge the outcome of this case than any of us were who sat on the sidelines. After weeks of effort on their part, I'm willing to respect the verdict they reach.

On the other hand, if the jury believes after deliberations and carefully examining the judge's instructions that the most appropriate punishment is life in prison without parole than I can accept that as well.

What I don't accept is a system where a perpetrator's punishment is determined by what families or what other private individuals want. That is the antithesis of a legal system which renders uniform justice. Such a system will always reach different results simply on the basis of how important a victim's standing was within the community or how many biological family members he/she happened to have.

Anyway, we'll see. Its looking more and more like the jury won't be able to agree on a verdict of capital punishment. Either someone will change their mind soon, or there will be a hung jury.
Contrary to what that person posted here, the Alexander family does not get to decide her sentence. That should be obvious. The crime JA committed is eligible for the death penalty under Arizona law, period (but the jury may decide she has enough redeeming value to give her life in prison...I see nothing redeeming about her, but we are privy to much more information about her than the jurors have been).

I don't know why that person continues to post blatantly wrong information as if it were fact, but it is the jury's decision to make and theirs alone.

I think the jurors will come to an agreement. It took 4 days for the Wendi Andriano jurors to decide on death, and 11 hours for the Scott Peterson jurors to decide.
 
Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 AM
 
1,817 posts, read 2,758,891 times
Reputation: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
If this case wasn't getting so much media I bet many people would not be for the death penalty. It is very easy to type anything from the comfort of your home. What is no that easy is being charge of that decision and living with it for the rest of your life.

Many men kill their wives/girlfriends during domestic disputes and only serve 5-7 years in prison and people here are outraged that Jodi might get LWOP instead of the death penalty? Just because it was a televised case it doesn't make it worse than those anonymus Domestic violence victims who Nancy Grace doesn't care to defend because the killers are not young women who increase the TV ratings.
This crime IS worse than your average "heat of the moment" killing where someone is "only" strangled or shot to death. It was methodically planned out, it was extremely cruel, she shows no remorse and she continues to attack the victim 5 years later. It's terrible that people get lenient sentences (or none at all!) for any murder, but the system is what it is. We should not be more lenient on Jodi because other people have gotten away with less.

Scott Peterson, the Menendez Brothers, OJ...all equally high profile cases with male defendants. George Zimmerman's trial is going to be all over the news. Some cases just take on a life of their own for whatever reason. Nobody will care about Jodi in a couple months.
 
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
 
9,912 posts, read 9,302,997 times
Reputation: 8053
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
The most industrialized and advanced countries around the world have abandoned the death penalty, and by keeping the DP, U.S. lowers itself down in the same category as under developed countries with tyrannical governments.
China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq....
Yesterday, Lisa Bloom, daughter of Gloria Allred said those exact words, verbatim. I didn't agree with her nor do I agree with you.

The United States does not have a tyrannical government ... why do you think all these immigrants want to come here? This is a terrible shame to even consider our United States to be in the same category as those countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
Those horizontal stripes make you look fat Jodi...
Do these pants make my butt look big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Jodi is smart and I don't mind that Joe allowed the interview but I do agree she should n't be able to get different clothes on after she was convicted for murder!

With these interviews Jodi is risking her chances for appeals so that is all on her that it now can be used against her!
No, the interviews won't stop the appeals. But if this jury can't reach a verdict and they have to impanel a new jury ... the interviews could impact finding 12 or 18 people with Arias on every network singing her praises. Arias said "me/I 180" times in her allocation. This case will not end in mistrial ... either the jury will bring back life and put it on the judge to decide which one LWOP or Life-25 ... or if hung a new jury will be brought in ... if that new jury can't reach a verdict then it's Judge Stephen's ballgame ... she makes the call but she cannot give the death sentence. She can give only one of the two life choices.
 
Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM
 
Location: USA
313 posts, read 351,477 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I will say this. The penalty that Travis's family wants should be irrelevant to this process.
You're right in the strict legal sense of the word, but using the word in a non-legal sense, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant b/c although the case is the Stave Vs JA, the family is affected by the trial and the final decision.

I've been involved w/ a DP case. I won't get into the details here other than to say our family was consulted by the DA's office out of respect. We were asked if we were for DP or not, and we said we were.

We did NOT expect that our feelings would be the deciding factor b/c it isn't for us to decide these things. Ultimate decision was/is the DA's, and we respected that. I'm assuming a similar situation might be at work here w/ TA's family. IOW, if the DA has to make a decision to take DP off the table, even if TA's family is against that, I'm sure they'll at least have a meeting w/ them like the DA in my relative's case did.

Quote:
The jury was in a better position to judge the outcome of this case than any of us were who sat on the sidelines.
Better in some ways, yes, but naturally they're not getting as much info as we are.

Quote:
After weeks of effort on their part, I'm willing to respect the verdict they reach.
I am too, as I posted earlier. That's dependent though on the judge giving her LWOP if they come back w/ life, not death.
 
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,891,390 times
Reputation: 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post


No, the interviews won't stop the appeals. But if this jury can't reach a verdict and they have to impanel a new jury ... the interviews could impact finding 12 or 18 people with Arias on every network singing her praises. Arias said "me/I 180" times in her allocation. This case will not end in mistrial ... either the jury will bring back life and put it on the judge to decide which one LWOP or Life-25 ... or if hung a new jury will be brought in ... if that new jury can't reach a verdict then it's Judge Stephen's ballgame ... she makes the call but she cannot give the death sentence. She can give only one of the two life choices.
Who's singing praises, certainly not the networks or interviewers? BTW, I thought she interviewed poorly.

Last edited by virgode; 05-23-2013 at 01:29 PM..
 
Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
2,800 posts, read 1,769,018 times
Reputation: 1732
No matter what happens from now on at least the jury in this case got the initial guilty right they did a lot better then the idiots on the Casey Anthony jury.
 
Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,891,390 times
Reputation: 17987
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcatnip View Post
You're right in the strict legal sense of the word, but using the word in a non-legal sense, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant b/c although the case is the Stave Vs JA, the family is affected by the trial and the final decision.

I've been involved w/ a DP case. I won't get into the details here other than to say our family was consulted by the DA's office out of respect. We were asked if we were for DP or not, and we said we were.

We did NOT expect that our feelings would be the deciding factor b/c it isn't for us to decide these things. Ultimate decision was/is the DA's, and we respected that. I'm assuming a similar situation might be at work here w/ TA's family. IOW, if the DA has to make a decision to take DP off the table, even if TA's family is against that, I'm sure they'll at least have a meeting w/ them like the DA in my relative's case did.


Better in some ways, yes, but naturally they're not getting as much info as we are.
What more info crucial to the case and decision making?

The only information missing, the full truth about the night she killed Alexander.
 
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: USA
313 posts, read 351,477 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
What more info crucial to the case and decision making?
The only information missing, the full truth about the night she killed Alexander.
I don't quite know what to make of the way you write, but I keep getting sucked in like w/ trinity. Anyway, here goes...

I didn't use the word crucial, you did. I said we have more info e.g. her interrogation tapes, this new media blitz. Where I think we agree is that the jury still has enough to make a decision. After all they have in the 1st 2 phases of this process.

This 3rd phase is in some ways the hardest b/c it's one thing to believe in DP in the abstract, and quite another when it's go time. Even some of the so-called jurors on HLN who have been staunchly saying DP for JA are now wavering saying they don't want to be the one to "sign her death warrant". Make of that what you will.

In my relative's (killed by her abusive husband) case, after the verdict, the jurors hugged us, and said our presence in the court room, and victim impact statements really swayed them b/c they felt they were doing the right thing as asked by the state, but also for us. Obviously, this is over and above considering the facts of the case (which was very strong).

The JA jury just asked another question, but it was not revealed what it was. We have no idea at this time how jurors are leaning. I'm guessing it's going to be easier to persuade DP people to go w/ life than vice versa as we've seen on this thread- many of us, myself included have said we'd be ok w/ LWOP, but no DP opponent has made that concession. Their sympathy appears to be only for JA, not for TA and his family.

I doubt this jury wants to drag things out more, and since it's a long weekend, if they don't make a decision, it's going to be Tuesday before they reconvene. To that end, I'm predicting a verdict today after their lunch.

We shall see..hopefully soon.
 
Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,891,390 times
Reputation: 17987
Televised media trail coverage and death penalty were the downfall of the Casey Anthony trial, they may be the downfall of this trail as well for those of you who believe DP Is the only option. We'll see what the jury decides.

You can't sit in front of your TV everyday watching trials and then complain about the media coverage and interviews...end of rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top