U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,910 times

Advertisements

Since 2002 in AZ, there have been 5 hung juries in the penalty phase. In 4 of 5 of those cases, the state re-tried the case with a new jury. In 3 of those 4, the defendant was sentenced to death by the new jury.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizon...html#protected

Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,307,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
lol. You do realize those are.......BLOGS........

Goodness!
The first time you looked at this post was 5/08 ... if you will take the time to read through, you know there is 224 pages here ... you will find actual copies of legal documents filed with Maricopa County not BLOGS. But the paperwork filed by Nurmi on behalf of his client Arias ... and yes she wanted a plea deal in July 2011 and yes if she didn't get the plea deal she would drag the Travis Alexander, the Alexander family and the LDS families through the mud.

Fruitlassie posted blogs she perhaps had handy ... there is copies of official letters handwritten by Arias and her mother to the court retrieved from the Maricopa County records. All sorts of copies of Official Manicopa documents filed by Nurmi within the 224 pages of this forum. Many of us have followed the case since jury selection. We are certainly not going to take the time to search through and find them for you but they are there.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,189,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Since 2002 in AZ, there have been 5 hung juries in the penalty phase. In 4 of 5 of those cases, the state re-tried the case with a new jury. In 3 of those 4, the defendant was sentenced to death by the new jury.

One thing that I have been wondering is, who will represent Jodi on her appeals (and there WILL be appeals) ? I think Wilmott and Murmi have had it with her, so will the State appoint new Attorneys ?

Don

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
After thinking about this latest turn of events for a while, I think we all should feel pretty good about where this thing has ended up. We got 99.9% of what we hoped for. The jury DID find her guilty of murder in the 1st degree. They DID find Travis died a cruel death. All they left was that she may not get death, but at least they didn't do what that jury did in the Casey Anthony case and set a murderer free.

Although Jodi is now saying she wants life in prison, remember the interview where she said her family lives long lives and she couldn't fathom living locked up for all those years. I think that was one of the few times Jodi told the truth. I feel those were her true feelings and she is starting to realize that her worst fears about that are about to come true. She may put on a brave face and say she is going to bake cupcakes for the inmates and teach them yoga, but she is about to find out that will not be what the rest of her days are going to be like.

I agree Juan should call it a day and save the Alexander family from going through another day of seeing this little tramps face. Take life without parole and get her sent up to the big house where they won't be giving her makeup so she can do interviews with every TV station in the world. Let's put this trial behind us and let the Alexanders start healing........there is nothing to be gained by dragging it out any longer.

Don
I hope Juan will not drop the death penalty unless he is guaranteed Arias gets LWOP. I wouldn't accept the 25-Life less the 5 years served.

Last August the nation's longest-serving female inmate was granted clemency and walked out of Perryville Prison in Arizona. She has been there since 1963.

If Arias serves 49 years ... she could crawl out at 81. Do you think she would be eligible for Social Security?

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...na-prison.html

This lady killed a 15 month old baby she was babysitting.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post

Do you think it will still be Judge Stephens on the bench? She got emotional today.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,121,449 times
I thought there would be a new jury selected and the lawyers would give their opening and closing arguments and the jury would sift through the information to reach a sentencing. I read that somewhere today. Oh well. She is a nut case.

Quote:
...snipped...He said a status hearing has been set for June 20, "and we will proceed with the intent to retry the penalty phase."
Quote:

The same jury on May 8 found Arias guilty of first-degree murder in the death of Alexander, who was stabbed and slashed nearly 30 times and nearly decapitated at his Mesa home. It later determined the killing was cruel enough to merit consideration of the death penalty.

Under Arizona law, a hung jury in a trial's death penalty phase requires a new jury to be seated to decide the punishment. If the second jury cannot reach a unanimous decision, the judge would then sentence Arias to spend her entire life in prison or be eligible for release after 25 years. The judge cannot sentence Arias to death.

Former Maricopa County Attorney Rick Romley has said the case could drag on for several months as the new jury reviews evidence and hears opening statements, closing arguments and witness testimony in a "Cliffs Notes" version of the trial.

However, if the prosecutor decides not to pursue the death penalty a second time, the judge would sentence Arias to one of the life term options, and the trial would conclude.

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/05...#ixzz2UBdElT44
I may have misunderstood what he meant here.....

Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,906,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But prison is full of inmates who have hurt, abused, and murdered others. I think if she ends up in the general population she'll be a diva-like celebrity inmate, like she apparently is now in the Maricopa jail.
Not sure for how long ( maybe since the trial began in Jan ?), currently shes not a diva in lock down for 23 hrs a day.

Although there's no clairol, I'm certain there's a pecking order. I bet many of them have similar diva-like personality disorders.

She may find sympathy within the DV related incarcerations.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 AM

39,552 posts, read 47,768,430 times
Apparently the vote was 8 for the death penalty 4 were against it. In Phoenix this evening the jurors are being crucified in talk shows and other venues for not unanimously going for the death penalty. Most are saying "look you were selected because you stated that you were not against the death penalty", "that you found her guilty in the first degree with mitigating circumstances for the DP."
Now we have to wait 2-3 weeks for a new jury to be impaneled and a condensed version of the trial to commence. The poor Alexander family has to go through all the pain again. Hopefully the next jury does the right thing and select the DP. They may get a new judge too since the current one broke down crying today. It would be a travesty if a new soft judge gave her 25 years and an opportunity for parole.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,581,201 times
Default Life in prison for JA,not rose-colored lenses

Jodi Arias Rose colored glasses - Revised and Narrated - YouTube

Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 AM

25,885 posts, read 39,178,572 times
Good luck to the next set of lawyers if she fires Numni and Willmott. There are always lawyers who want to get their 15 min. of fame just like Jodi but what if they get her the DP, that will be carreer over!

Life without parole would not be that bad considering we wont see Jodi again and hopefully she will not be allowed any further interviews as part of the deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime