U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 06:19 AM

9,222 posts, read 9,292,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Apparently the vote was 8 for the death penalty 4 were against it. In Phoenix
this evening the jurors are being crucified in talk shows and other venues for
not unanimously going for the death penalty. Most are saying "look you were
selected because you stated that you were not against the death penalty", "that
you found her guilty in the first degree with mitigating circumstances for the
DP."

Now we have to wait 2-3 weeks for a new jury to be impaneled and a condensed
version of the trial to commence. The poor Alexander family has to go through
all the pain again. Hopefully the next jury does the right thing and select the
DP. They may get a new judge too since the current one broke down crying today.
It would be a travesty if a new soft judge gave her 25 years and an opportunity
for parole.
It would be a highly responsible act for the prosecutor in this case to announce publicly that he is willing to forgo the death penalty if JA will agree to a sentence of life without parole. Such a public announcement would put pressure on JA and her counsel to accept this arrangment. They would have to worry that new jurors might have heard of the offer and this might make them pretty angry that she didn't take the deal when it was offered her.

The taxpayers don't need any more of their money spent on this sort of thing. If Jody does get the death penalty we than have to pay for a long appeals process.

It has been emotionally taxing for many of the people involved from jurors to judges to bailifs to the different family members.

It would probably be the best thing for Travis's family even if they can't see it now. Even if JA does get the death penalty in a second retrial, the appeals process will take years. Perhaps, even decades. How will they feel emotionally every time she gets within a few weeks of execution and than gets a stay? That has to be awful rollercoaster for people this closely involved.

At some point, a good prosecutor acts for the benefit of the public. The public would receive the most benefit by bringing this circus to a rapid end.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-24-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 06:24 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,751,871 times
I doubt she would agree to life without parole. She likes being in the spot light agreeing to life, ends the drama for her, game over.

But, you are right, settling this case is prudent. And fiscally responsible.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,205,993 times
I hope the jurors are not vilified by people for not going all the way in this case. The jury in the Anthony trial certainly deserved the backlash of criticism they got over that horrible verdict, but this jury got 99.9% of it right. For whatever reasons we will never know those 4 jurors just couldn't put an X in the death column.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the least Jodi can receive is life without parole ? I missed all the talk shows last night as our cable is on the fritz, so I don't know if they are still saying she could get 25 to life. How does this final phase work now ?

Don

Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,835,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I hope the jurors are not vilified by people for not going all the way in this case. The jury in the Anthony trial certainly deserved the backlash of criticism they got over that horrible verdict, but this jury got 99.9% of it right. For whatever reasons we will never know those 4 jurors just couldn't put an X in the death column.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the least Jodi can receive is life without parole ? I missed all the talk shows last night as our cable is on the fritz, so I don't know if they are still saying she could get 25 to life. How does this final phase work now ?

Don
Don, the new jury will decide if she gets life or death. If life, it is up to the judge to decide life without parole or life with the possibility of parole after a certain number of years (20-25).

If the new jury is also deadlocked, the judge will then make the decision (the same options - one of the two 'life' options I just mentioned). The judge cannot impose the death penalty; only a jury can do that.

Edit: I, too, am frustrated with the jury, but I do not blame them. It must be very difficult to impose the death penalty. I was recently on a jury (a few weeks ago). The charge was conspiracy to commit murder. There was very little evidence and myself and another juror held out for a time with 'innocent'. It took many hours until we finally were persuaded that the person really did conspire to commit murder. I felt the weight of sentencing someone to up to 20 years in prison; I cannot imagine having to sentence someone to death (although that's what jodi should get).

Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,065,773 times
Just put in my two cents. I think the jury did a excellent job. These jurors weigh the evidence and stand up for what they believe in.

Apparently, her mental problem is in some juror's mind...

Interestingly, 8 to 4 ratio in favor of DP is similar to the ratio I saw on this forum and around me.

Last edited by LingLing; 05-24-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM

9,222 posts, read 9,292,231 times
Quote:

I hope the jurors are not vilified by people for not going all the way in
this case. The jury in the Anthony trial certainly deserved the
backlash of criticism they got over that horrible verdict, but this jury got
99.9% of it right. For whatever reasons we will never know those 4
jurors just couldn't put an X in the death column.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the least Jodi can receive is life
without parole ? I missed all the talk shows last night as our cable is on the
fritz, so I don't know if they are still saying she could get 25 to life. How
does this final phase work now ?
I am not surprised that a majority of people favor the death penalty in a case like this. I favor the death penalty in some limited situations myself. However, it does surprise me sometimes how people conclude that their viewpoint is the only rational one.

The death penalty is final, permanent, and carries a huge stigma for the offender and his family. Because of this, it will always be controversial. If you can't accept the notion that there is a responsible segment of society out there who will be reticent about imposing it for those reasons, you aren't doing much thinking.

The four jurors who refused to vote for the death penalty very likely had rational reasons for doing so. Death isn't going to bring Travis back. The appeals process is a long and expensive one. What Travis's family wants (or thinks it wants now) shouldn't dictate the outcome of a process brought by the state for the benefit of the public. Finally, as bad as this crime is crimes like sexually abusing and murdering a child are worse just as someone who is a serial killer is worse than JA is.

I don't expect death penalty supporters to agree with that reasoning. I simply expect them to give those who engage in it credit for having a rational sustainable belief.

There isn't just one viewpoint in society. If you insist yours is the only rational viewpoint than you are simply mistaken. The death penalty will remain controversial as long as it is on the books. That is why it should be sought and used rarely and only in situations where there is widespread agreement about it. That agreement did not exist in this case among that jury. That is why we are where we are now.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-24-2013 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,205,993 times
If it is the Judge's decision as to life or 25 to life I am not too worried. This judge seems fairly reasonable to me , and she has seen all that came out in this trial, so I think she would be fairly tough in her sentencing. I can't imagine any reasonable judge not deciding the possibility of parole would be way too good for Jodi. This judge has to be very fed up, as we are, with all the interviews and obvious lies told in court.

Don

Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,846,363 times
I have great respect for the jury, and while I am disappointed that the trial has not been resolved, I would not presume to criticize them. The general feeling is that you want there to be a consequence for Jodi equal to her crime and it just does not feel like there is one. I am not sure whether that is accurate or not. Her interviews and demeanor give me the impression that she is enjoying this on some level.

Some of the "factors" that seemed to be so important in this case, concern me. The crime was the taking of a human life in a cruel and brutal manner and the "character" or "worth" of the victim and/or the perpetrator shouldbe irrelevant .

Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM

313 posts, read 351,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
The general feeling is that you want there to be a consequence for Jodi equal to her crime and it just does not feel like there is one. I am not sure whether that is accurate or not. Her interviews and demeanor give me the impression that she is enjoying this on some level.
You hit the nail on the head. It's galling to see her primp and preen on TV, and hold court in jail. It's not just her family, I think many of us want to see 2 things - remorse & her not enjoying herself in prison after slaughtering a person.

So on one level it's satisfying to see she's finally on 23 hr lockdown. If somehow she could be kept that way from now on end w/ no make-up, no or very limited TV appearances, or other privileges and no more appeals, other than death (which I know many of you disagree with), that would be appropriate punishment for a monster like this.

I was surprised to see Martinez so quickly stand firm on the retrial. If he can get JA to plead to above, we can get this monster off our TVs and our lives. I have a feeling she's still basking in the glow and doesn't want her 15 mins to end, so she's loving all this, and would not agree to LWOP and no/limited privileges.

That means even if DA wants to offer a plea, we're back to a retrial. I feel too emotionally wrung out to watch that. Maybe I'll feel better by then. At least this jury didn't set her free like the Anthony and OJ juries did, so there is that. That was a biggie. Whew!

I just hope retrial or not, Judge Stevens continues to preside b/c she has really impressed me w/ her even temper and kind manner. I felt so bad for her when her voice was breaking while speaking to the jury. I'm also nervous that if another Judge takes over, s/he might not give LWOP. Now that would be a travesty - if JA is out enjoying herself on the outside in 20 yrs or even earlier w/ "good behavior".

Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM

12,328 posts, read 18,437,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Nope...it's over...Jodi lives....
Factually incorrect, part II. I assume by now you realize the laws in Arizona are different regarding mistrials for penalty phase. You're 0-2 aren't you?

It seems from this statement, that the decision for a retrial for death penalty has Ialready been made:

""We will assess, based upon available information, what the next steps will be," Montgomery said, "and we will proceed with the intent to retry the penalty phase.""

If the intent is to retry, then certaintnly they still want to pursue the DP. At least that is how I interpret the statement. Otherwise there would be no need for retrial and the judge would sentence her (without the option for DP) himself.

Last edited by Dd714; 05-24-2013 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime