U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,240,478 times

Advertisements

I think the fact that there is no guarantee that a "life" sentence won't result in her walking free in 20 years is why the jury didn't reach a verdict. I wonder how many of the jurors that stood firm for the death penalty might have changed their minds if the life sentence option actually meant life with no parole without the 25 year option at the judge's discretion.

I can see why the jury had a hard time giving her the death penalty. She killed a man in cold blood in a very cruel manner but it is obvious that she is just not right in the head. The victim in this case also did do some questionable things to her with some of the emotional games and abuse that he was engaged in. Those two factors would have made it impossible for me to personally vote to give her the death penalty.

I think the County Attorney should end this saga and work out a settlement. Get Arias to agree to accept life without parole and as a carrot allow her to be moved to a California prison in a few years so she can be closer to her family for visitation.

I really don't understand the bloodlust that so many people have in this case. A mob has formed that is only a few shades away from the crowds that gather in Saudi Arabia to watch beheadings and participate in stonings. The whole thing is just a little too barbaric for my taste.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,398,581 times
I think both Jodi and the prosecution are loving the celebrity status and the televised circus.

The best thing would have been life and let the judge decide. Send this convict to prison and let her 15 minutes of fame end.

Now I understand why so many people are against the death penalty.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,398,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think the fact that there is no guarantee that a "life" sentence won't result in her walking free in 20 years is why the jury didn't reach a verdict. I wonder how many of the jurors that stood firm for the death penalty might have changed their minds if the life sentence option actually meant life with no parole without the 25 year option at the judge's discretion.

I can see why the jury had a hard time giving her the death penalty. She killed a man in cold blood in a very cruel manner but it is obvious that she is just not right in the head. The victim in this case also did do some questionable things to her with some of the emotional games and abuse that he was engaged in. Those two factors would have made it impossible for me to personally vote to give her the death penalty.

I think the County Attorney should end this saga and work out a settlement. Get Arias to agree to accept life without parole and as a carrot allow her to be moved to a California prison in a few years so she can be closer to her family for visitation.

I really don't understand the bloodlust that so many people have in this case. A mob has formed that is only a few shades away from the crowds that gather in Saudi Arabia to watch beheadings and participate in stonings. The whole thing is just a little too barbaric for my taste.
agree 100%. In the meantime worse criminals are serving 5 or 10 year sentences and the mob is silent or saying "it is what it is" like another poster told me.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,910 times
Jodi is perfectly sane; she was never abused by Travis or anyone else. By now everyone should know her manipulative games. So she got a few whacks with a wooden spoon and was called some mean names. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of people on Death Row had FAR more abuse in their lives. And just because she's not a serial killer, so? Who knows what she would have done if she wasn't caught? When the cops apprehended her she was ready to go on the run again with another packed rental car. She had a 9mm gun and 2 knives hidden in the car. The lack of remorse is a big tipoff that she would not hesitate to kill again.

With all that being said, life in prison wouldn't be any easier for her than Death Row. This video was posted by a man who worked as a Deputy Warden for the AZ Dept. of Corrections at Perryville. He said she would probably be in maximum security for 5 years at least because she is high profile and because of the nature of her crime. Kept outside in a cage in 100-degree-plus heat 3 times a week...no contact with other prisoners, so there goes the book club and sign language lessons.

Jodi Arias Rose colored glasses - Revised and Narrated - YouTube

Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,910 times
Quote:

You mean like she almost beheaded Travis in a very barbaric fashion? Where is this so-called mob? There was nobody outside the courthouse with pitchforks...just a small group of people that want justice for the victim.

Last edited by fruitlassie; 05-24-2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 10:12 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,189,868 times
We can debate the DP vs no DP thing forever and there are always going to be good people lined up on both sides of the discussion. I don't think anyone really LIKES the DP, some of us just feel there are certain human beings who have done something so horrific that they have given up their right to inhabit this earth. Is that our call or a call God should make ? Who knows that answer, I don't.

I equate this to a situation where a robber pulls out a gun and enters a home or business. I think when he or she did that they left their right to live at the door and deserve to be shot and killed by the people inside. By the same token, if someone rapes and kills a child I would have no qualms about pushing the button on the electric chair and sending them on their way to hell. I would also have been happy to put a bullet into Osama BL or any of those idiots who flew planes into the towers, if I had the opportunity.....they deserved to die with no question whatsoever.

I think that is where the jury in this case had a hard time coming to a unanimous decision. Some people feel the DP is reserved for serial killers and those who murder a child. They have reservations about sending a young lady, who only did one horrible crime, to her death.

Don

Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 AM

25,882 posts, read 39,178,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It would be a highly responsible act for the prosecutor in this case to announce publicly that he is willing to forgo the death penalty if JA will agree to a sentence of life without parole. Such a public announcement would put pressure on JA and her counsel to accept this arrangment. They would have to worry that new jurors might have heard of the offer and this might make them pretty angry that she didn't take the deal when it was offered her.

The taxpayers don't need any more of their money spent on this sort of thing. If Jody does get the death penalty we than have to pay for a long appeals process.

It has been emotionally taxing for many of the people involved from jurors to judges to bailifs to the different family members.

It would probably be the best thing for Travis's family even if they can't see it now. Even if JA does get the death penalty in a second retrial, the appeals process will take years. Perhaps, even decades. How will they feel emotionally every time she gets within a few weeks of execution and than gets a stay? That has to be awful rollercoaster for people this closely involved.

At some point, a good prosecutor acts for the benefit of the public. The public would receive the most benefit by bringing this circus to a rapid end.
I think that might be a reason for appeal to have a prosecutor come out in the public and mke an annoucement like that although it would be nice I believe legally it can't be done.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM

39,552 posts, read 47,768,430 times
Jodi Arias, master manipulator, get's into jurors heads says latest news headline this am...

Arias detractor on mistrial: 'She got into jurors' heads' - Phoenix News - KTAR.com

Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 AM

25,882 posts, read 39,178,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Don, the new jury will decide if she gets life or death. If life, it is up to the judge to decide life without parole or life with the possibility of parole after a certain number of years (20-25).

If the new jury is also deadlocked, the judge will then make the decision (the same options - one of the two 'life' options I just mentioned). The judge cannot impose the death penalty; only a jury can do that.

Edit: I, too, am frustrated with the jury, but I do not blame them. It must be very difficult to impose the death penalty. I was recently on a jury (a few weeks ago). The charge was conspiracy to commit murder. There was very little evidence and myself and another juror held out for a time with 'innocent'. It took many hours until we finally were persuaded that the person really did conspire to commit murder. I felt the weight of sentencing someone to up to 20 years in prison; I cannot imagine having to sentence someone to death (although that's what jodi should get).
Eeven though I can believe it is very hard to impose the death penalty, in this case with overwhelming evidence it should be way easier than what you describe with your case since there was less evidence.

This cruelty and the lies are not making Jodi a victim or innocent abused woman...she is a cold blooded murderer who is very calculated and I wonder when the jurors get to see all we have seen if the 4 that hold out will still have the same opinion and don't get me wrong...I'm not blaming them to stand up for their believes, but I'm disappointed.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,064,033 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree with you. This is reason I found HLN is disgusting. They analyzed her every single movement to cater the mob. That lady who is on Dr. Drew show and wrote that book "you can't lie to me" is as sick as JA.

Last edited by LingLing; 05-24-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime