U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,765,718 times

Advertisements

If you think what is on HLN has anything to do with reality...it doesn't. Most people even here in Phoenix could not care less about the Jodi Arias case. There is no mob out to get her...good grief. If anything, she's treated like a star in the jail. How many other inmates get to spend hours doing a media blitz wearing a sweater and makeup?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM

17,765 posts, read 11,285,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
If you think what is on HLN has anything to do with reality...it doesn't. Most people even here in Phoenix could not care less about the Jodi Arias case. There is no mob out to get her...good grief. If anything, she's treated like a star in the jail. How many other inmates get to spend hours doing a media blitz wearing a sweater and makeup?
I think you are probably right about that. I have mentioned this trial to lots of people I know and that I work with, and none of them really know much about it at all. If anything, they say "Oh, that girl who murdered her boyfriend or something like that?" Evidently there are a lot of us who have been absorbed by this trial but I haven't found that everyone knows as much about it as they did about the Anthony case. Lots of people were into that one, probably because a little child was murdered.

We can't fault HLN for capitalizing on this and other trials either........that is how they make their money and how they pay heavy hitting Attorneys to be part of the panels. Just like Pepsi makes soft drinks to sell, HLN has these issues as their product to sell to us, and they are evidently doing a good job as we will even put up with Nancy Grace to get updated information.......and THAT is saying something !!

Don

Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Exactly Don...HLN is "infotainment." They're going to be milking the Zimmerman trial the same way. Don't get me wrong, I peek at HLN now and then, and I think they have a few smart people on there. But then they bring on guys like that clown Larry Seidlin to remind you that it's mostly pure sensationalism.

Speaking for myself, I can accept either the DP or LWOP for JA. But I think a lot of us are frustrated to see someone as manipulative as JA pull the wool over the eyes of supposedly intelligent people, or get preferential treatment because she doesn't look like a monster. Aileen Wuornos went through a lot more abuse in her life than JA ever did...so did Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacy, Karla Faye Tucker and the list goes on.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,251,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Exactly Don...HLN is "infotainment." They're going to be milking the Zimmerman trial the same way. Don't get me wrong, I peek at HLN now and then, and I think they have a few smart people on there. But then they bring on guys like that clown Larry Seidlin to remind you that it's mostly pure sensationalism.

Speaking for myself, I can accept either the DP or LWOP for JA. But I think a lot of us are frustrated to see someone as manipulative as JA pull the wool over the eyes of supposedly intelligent people, or get preferential treatment because she doesn't look like a monster. Aileen Wuornos went through a lot more abuse in her life than JA ever did...so did Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacy, Karla Faye Tucker and the list goes on.
It is extremely arrogant to assert that just because someone decides not to sentence someone to death that they were manipulated and had the wool pulled over their eyes. Perhaps their decision to let someone live is just as rational as your decision that they deserve to die. In fact, it seems to me that you are the one that has let your emotions be manipulated to the point that you are actually angry that the government is not going to be able to kill someone.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM

You think I'm angry? Read my post...I just said I can accept "either the DP or LWOP." I'm not angry at all. She will get her comeuppance either way.

And I wasn't talking about the jurors, I was talking about people who think there's a lynch mob out to get poor JA, which is patently ridiculous. JA has media falling over themselves to talk to her, the Sheriff gives her preferential treatment, it's disturbing...but the Jodi reality show will end soon enough.

Last edited by fruitlassie; 05-24-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM

313 posts, read 352,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think the fact that there is no guarantee that a "life" sentence won't result in her walking free in 20 years is why the jury didn't reach a verdict. I wonder how many of the jurors that stood firm for the death penalty might have changed their minds if the life sentence option actually meant life with no parole without the 25 year option at the judge's discretion.
I agree w/ you there b/c I have no trouble believing that the 8 people who favored DP could be talked down, if you will, into LWOP. I could have been, but only if it was truly LWOP, and not maybe she'll walk in 15-20 yrs and maybe not.

As fruitlassie said, JA was ready to not just flee but do heaven knows what w/ the weapons in her possession, and even now has shown no remorse.

Had it been 2 choices only - DP or LWOP, it's possible they wouldn't have deadlocked. In some states e.g. FL, 8-4 for DP would have been enough to be sent to Death Row. Although I find this AZ system of 3 phases convoluted, one thing I do think is good to have consensus. If all 12 can't agree to DP, then LWOP would not be a tough compromise for me personally.

Quote:
I can see why the jury had a hard time giving her the death penalty. She killed a man in cold blood in a very cruel manner but it is obvious that she is just not right in the head. The victim in this case also did do some questionable things to her with some of the emotional games and abuse that he was engaged in. Those two factors would have made it impossible for me to personally vote to give her the death penalty.
Depends on how you define not right in the head b/c I for one don't believe she doesn't know right from wrong i.e. that killing is wrong to the power 10 at least. Where we part ways is I'd have no problem giving DP.

Quote:
I really don't understand the bloodlust that so many people have in this case. A mob has formed that is only a few shades away from the crowds that gather in Saudi Arabia to watch beheadings and participate in stonings. The whole thing is just a little too barbaric for my taste.
Where is this mob? The outside of the Courthouse & steps were empty when they panned across it post-verdict. Juror #9 walked down the front steps and took light rail w/ the media following him, but I didn't see any private citizens bothering him or anyone else.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,023,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Factually incorrect, part II. I assume by now you realize the laws in Arizona are different regarding mistrials for penalty phase. You're 0-2 aren't you?

It seems from this statement, that the decision for a retrial for death penalty has Ialready been made:

""We will assess, based upon available information, what the next steps will be," Montgomery said, "and we will proceed with the intent to retry the penalty phase.""

If the intent is to retry, then certaintnly they still want to pursue the DP. At least that is how I interpret the statement. Otherwise there would be no need for retrial and the judge would sentence her (without the option for DP) himself.
Yes. I am aware of Arizona's mistrial laws....abc news:

"It will be up to the prosecutor to decide whether to retry the penalty phase. If he decides to try again for the death penalty, a new jury will be selected and both the prosecution and defense will present evidence and arguments over what sentence Arias should receive.
The retrial would begin July 18, Judge Sherry Stephens announced today. Arias can either be sentenced to death or to life in prison, with or without the possibility of parole.
If the prosecution chooses not to retry the penalty phase, Arias will get life in prison, either with or without parole"

I don't see it DP happening...Even if Juan doesn't negotiate, and the state agrees to fund him a retrial...
this Kangaroo court completely lost control of this trial....the Judge crying on the reading of the sentence, just for starters...

Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I guess turning this into a DP debate is off topic and will probably get this thread locked. But I must say your post is factually incorrect. Even most of the European countries have DP in there laws for certain cases - times of warfare, etc.
And it is not limited to tyrannical countries - Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, many other countries with democratic systems of government, still actively use the DP.
I was referring to civilians, not war criminals or terrorists.

But you're right, this isn't a DP thread..

Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM

595 posts, read 790,082 times
The people here who are saying that the prosecutor and Alexander family should just cut their losses and cut a deal for LWOP are missing a key element. Jodi Arias. She has all the power now. There is no incentive for her to accept such a deal and she is definitely calling the shots in her defense.

Why would she accept such a deal? To save taxpayers money? To help the Alexander family reach closure? To easily accept her new life as a lifer? What a joke. With a new jury, there is a chance she could get death, but she would be willing to take that chance. The appeals process takes years and the death sentence could eventually be overturned anyway. I'm sure getting a death sentence is not daunting for her.

By letting the penalty phase restart, she actually has a slim chance for the life with parole option. If the new jury deadlocks again, which is a possibility, the sentencing goes to the judge. There's no way to predict how any judge, including Stephens, would rule. There is a possibility Arias could get the lesser life sentence. Not likely, but possible. Then, even if the judge gives her LWOP, Arias really didn't take much of a gamble anyway.

That is what Arias is counting on. She's counting on her ability to mesmerize certain members, maybe just one, of the new jury so it get's deadlocked again.

Also, the new penalty phase trial would give her one more chance in the spotlight. You think she's going to turn that down?

Ultimately, it's not up to the prosecutor or the Alexanders to put this baby to rest. That decision rests on Arias and with her love of the spotlight, you know what that means.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Jose Biaz called it, the social media flurry is unprecedented..I think we're going to see a lot of whats been happening behind the scenes come out..I think there's going to be fallout...

The sheer amount of money changing hands will come out, between Oprah Productions funding the Arias family, I'm certain we'll see interviews..

Then the supporters of either side..

Chris Hughes moments after the sentence reading twittering asking for money for Travis's family, then Clancy on HLN taking about the Travis Alexander Legacy Fund, which is a domain name. The paypal account actually says Hughs on it which means it goes directly into the Hugh's bank account....

Then of course, Jodi is Innocent , reportedly the donations there are not going to the Arias family, even though that what the site says.

Then the now infamous Survivor T shirts, where do the proceeds really end up? DV shelters or someones pocket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime