U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 12:08 PM

592 posts, read 785,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Apparently, as long as the death penalty is sought, life without parole is off the table.

If the second jury deadlocks, the judge then determines the sentence. She cannot give life without parole. Her choice is life with a fixed term of 20 years, or life with the possibility of parole after serving 15 years.
This is all completely wrong. I don't know where you got this information but not true. LWOP is definitely an option for the judge.

Anyway, the power of the P***y strikes again apparently.

The jury foreman essentially admitted it with his comments and he apparently was one of the hold-outs against death. I thought the jury makeup was rather odd anyway with the uneven gender split of 8 males and 4 women. Looks like the defense won the battle when picking this jury. Maybe the prosecution thought men would be more sympathetic to a man getting hacked to pieces by his girlfriend.

Now the battle lines are clear for the next jury selection. The defense will try and pack as many older men as possible and the prosecution will likely try for younger, maybe female, jurors. Everywhere I see, females seem more outraged by Arias than men.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,759,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
This is a trial, not a soap opera. It was highly unprofessional for Judge Sherry to cry during the reading.
No, the judge was not crying. She paused for a moment. That's it. Watch the clip as many times as you want, her voice was completely calm after she paused for a few seconds.

Jodi Arias Verdict. Mistrial. No Unanimous Decision. Retrial July 18 per Judge. - YouTube

Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,018,121 times
If, by chance, any of the jurors were to find yourself to this city data-forum, I, for one, would like to thank you for your service on the front line!! I look forward to reading any books or accounts of what went on behind the scenes..as well as personal reflections...

That being said, I wish everyone a pleasant Memorial Day Weekend..Aloha!!

Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,306,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Some here misunderstand the process through which juries are selected in capital cases. The questuon that is asked is whether a juror is totally against the death penalty or if there are some circumstances in which he could vote for it. Specifics of the case are not first explained. That is what the trial is for. A person is entitled to a trial by a jury of their peers or one that represents a true cross secfion of the community. We already exclude from service about 20% of all people because they oppose the death penalty in all cases. If we reject all people who oppose it in any circumstances what we really have is not an impartial jury, but a hanging jury instead
Those who are upset by this verdict need to understand thereis more than one respectable viewpoint about what occurred.

The sitting jury that could not agree ... are they made aware if they can't reach a decision a new jury will be impaneled and proceed from the sentencing phase or do they just assume the judge will make the verdict decision not knowing the judge cannot pass a death penalty?

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 05-25-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 12:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,306,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
There's definitely a big difference between 'older person' and 'old-fashioned'...I know plenty of older people who keep up with social media and whatnot, but then there's the LaViolette/Samuels types who seem like they spent the last 20 years in mothballs, lol. Here in AZ the population skews older and that's probably why the jury did as well. I would have been interested to see a slightly younger average mix closer to JA's true peers. Actually, I wish Juror #8 hadn't blown it and had become the foreman instead...he sounded very objective and more logical when I heard him on Dr. Drew.

I don't get the argument that she wasn't psycho before PPL/Travis. All murderers have to start somewhere. She didn't get obsessed with the other guys she dated because they weren't a "catch" the way she thought he was...he was the ideal specimen for a parasite like her.
She was just using Darryl anyway ... they bought a house together and she walked out on him, he lost the house and had to move back to California. Juror #8 never considered Juarez and his opinion of Arias ... Matt was Juarez rommie and she hooked up with him ... even after breaking up with Matt and moving on they remained friends with benefits.

Her parents said on the police tapes she had been psycho since she was 14 years old.

The Casey Anthony jury foreman was/is a school teacher and he took control of that jury too. Same personality as this jury foreman .... but I am proud of those jurors that did not cave and held on to what they believed.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM

12,299 posts, read 18,417,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Some here misunderstand the process through which juries are selected in capital cases. The questuon that is asked is whether a juror is totally against the death penalty or if there are some circumstances in which he could vote for it. Specifics of the case are not first explained. That is what the trial is for. A person is entitled to a trial by a jury of their peers or one that represents a true cross secfion of the community. We already exclude from service about 20% of all people because they oppose the death penalty in all cases. If we reject all people who oppose it in any circumstances what we really have is not an impartial jury, but a hanging jury instead
Those who are upset by this verdict need to understand thereis more than one respectable viewpoint about what occurred.
No confusion by me, or anyone that I see here in this forum - althought that is somewhat of an oversimplification. "Death Qualification" is a much more complex process and varies from state to state and trial to trial, and is subject to the strategy of the opposoing lawyers. I would actually submit that a person that is against the death penalty CAN be considered for a jurist if it appears he can be "rehabilitated" into a believer during the trial phase. It would be interesting I guess, if we want to pursue this topic, the extent of which this jury was questioned during this "death qualification" process.
Now lets get back on topic - I see people are more arguing about the consideration of the mitagating factors. It's clear from a couple juries responses that they considered the mitigating factors of 1.) she is female, 2.) her environment. It's fair for a debate topic here if those mitigated against the death penalty.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
I don't see how they will find 20 people in Phoenix who have not heard about this case. Or many other places. It really just sets this up to be appealed, even if she is found eligible for the death penalty by the second jury. Better to just cut a deal, put her away.

I wonder if the publicity and fame of this trial, being on HLN, has impacted public defenders to want more drama, death penalty cases are dramatic. Is the prosecution just holding fast for the attention?

Old 05-25-2013, 03:23 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,902,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I am these people's age from the largest party city in America, Miami and it's not common for young men to call women they sleep with three hole wonders or tell them that they should be charging for oral sex. I don't know what kind of people you hang out wih that you think booty calls are "extremely" common and that most people go around sexing each other like animals. By the way before you reach another "conclusion" I don't associate with religious people. Maybe religion allows lower standards and I didn't get the memo.
Thanks for saying this. I'll add once more, these comments were from a Mormon Motivational Speaker.

The obsession with the DP in this case, understandable for the family, IMO, twisted to continually express it on a forum.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,902,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't see how they will find 20 people in Phoenix who have not heard about this case. Or many other places. It really just sets this up to be appealed, even if she is found eligible for the death penalty by the second jury. Better to just cut a deal, put her away.

I wonder if the publicity and fame of this trial, being on HLN, has impacted public defenders to want more drama, death penalty cases are dramatic. Is the prosecution just holding fast for the attention?

Everyone's has motives and a plan, in this case with the prosecutor could be career.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,827,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post

This is a trial, not a soap opera. It was highly unprofessional for Judge Sherry to cry during the reading.

Juan Martinez did not cry during the reading of the sentence.
I don't know, it seems you think of it as a soap opera...Judge Sherry????? She did NOT cry, by the way. If you saw her cry, do post a link to the video.

Juan didn't cry, either, but his face was beet-red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime