U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,065,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't see how they will find 20 people in Phoenix who have not heard about this case. Or many other places. It really just sets this up to be appealed, even if she is found eligible for the death penalty by the second jury. Better to just cut a deal, put her away.

I wonder if the publicity and fame of this trial, being on HLN, has impacted public defenders to want more drama, death penalty cases are dramatic. Is the prosecution just holding fast for the attention?

You are right. It will be very difficult to find 20 people who hasn't hear about this case. Certainly, everyone around me knows the case.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:42 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,205,993 times
I do wish the jurors would have taken into account all the problems they were going to create by not coming to a decision. The Alexander family will have to go through months of this garbage again, the court will have to hold additional proceedings, the cost to the taxpayers will be substantially more, and this thing will just drag on and on and on.............. I think they were just tired of being there and decided to bail out without really trying to reach a decision.

Even if they would have said "Life" that would have been ok. Put this thing to bed for God's sake, everyone has suffered enough, especially the Alexanders.

Don

Old 05-25-2013, 05:43 PM

9,222 posts, read 9,292,231 times
Quote:
I do wish the jurors would have taken into account all the problems they were going to create by not coming to a decision. The Alexander family will have to go through months of this garbage again, the court will have to hold additional proceedings, the cost to the taxpayers will be substantially more, and this thing will just drag on and on and on.............. I think they were just tired of being there and decided to bail out without really trying to reach a decision.

Even if they would have said "Life" that would have been ok. Put this thing to bed for God's sake, everyone has suffered enough, especially the Alexanders.
Amen. The best laws are like the one in my state. Unless a jury can reach unanimous agreement on the death penalty than the perpetrator is automatically sentenced to life without parole. There is no second penalty hearing.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,989,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I have great respect for the jury, and while I am disappointed that the trial has not been resolved, I would not presume to criticize them. The general feeling is that you want there to be a consequence for Jodi equal to her crime and it just does not feel like there is one. I am not sure whether that is accurate or not. Her interviews and demeanor give me the impression that she is enjoying this on some level.

Some of the "factors" that seemed to be so important in this case, concern me. The crime was the taking of a human life in a cruel and brutal manner and the "character" or "worth" of the victim and/or the perpetrator shouldbe irrelevant .
True, but the jury foreman said in an interview that at least he believed Travis verbally abused Jodi:

"I've very sure in my own mind that she was mentally and verbally abused. Now is that an excuse? Of course not. Does it factor into decisions that we make? It has to."

His interview is here:
Jodi Arias Trial Jury Foreman Interview: William Zervakos Says '18 Days of Testimony Hurt Her' | Video - ABC News

Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,039,548 times
I am just sick over this...I do know I am done with the whole case...I just feel in the end Jodi got what she wanted...now she can sell her t-shirts and go on and become part of the prison employees...she can found women's survivor groups which she can counsil them on how to get out of abusive relationships by hacking their "alleged" abusers. I do know I will not watch one more second of this crap . I guess I should at least be grateful they found her guilty of 1st degree murder unlike the Pinellas 12 morons that let Casey Anthony go.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,205,993 times
Maybe it has become time to employ professional jurors for serious cases like this instead of just dragging people off the street and asking them to make life and death decisions. I know the present system of "jury of your peers" has worked for a couple hundred years, but maybe with current technology and forensics it is just over the heads of regular folk.

We expect some 60 year old retired school teacher to be able to sift through months of very detailed forensics and psychological data from experts and absorb all that information and render a just decision. I think emotion enters into the final vote more than objectiveness. Maybe use regular folks for simple cases like theft, robbery, DUI, etc, and have 12 educated professional jurors who handle the tough cases like this one.

I don't know, just a thought I had.

Don

Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 PM

9,916 posts, read 9,312,377 times
Juror #6 speaks out.

azcentral.com video: Exclusive interview with Jodi Arias juror who voted for death penalty

Old 05-26-2013, 01:13 AM

10,357 posts, read 7,989,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Interesting, thanks for the link. She said she found Jodi Arias to be "just very sad" and that she felt sorry for her, but at the same time she did vote for the death penalty.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:38 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,760,948 times
Jodi's mousey fake glasses and little-girl hairstyles, soft tone of voice and lowered-down chair apparently had some effect on the older jurors. The alternate juror 17 is a younger woman and she saw through all of that crap. Let's face it...if this were a case of a man killing a woman, nobody would be feeling sorry for the defendant.

At least Juror 6 didn't let her bias get in the way of deciding the penalty...she was actually focused on the aggravating vs. mitigating factors. The foreman was stuck on this idea that the way she looked "didn't wash" with the crime, and he didn't think she was a "Dahmer or a Manson." Yeah...Dahmer actually showed remorse, and Manson never killed anyone himself! Someone needs to let him know that murderers come in all shapes, sizes, ages and genders...the younger Boston Bomber looks like he could be in a boy band, IMO!

Juror 17 will be on Dr. Drew on Tuesday, and I imagine more of them will be stepping forward over the next few days.

Last edited by fruitlassie; 05-26-2013 at 01:51 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 01:56 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,760,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
I am just sick over this...I do know I am done with the whole case...I just feel in the end Jodi got what she wanted...now she can sell her t-shirts and go on and become part of the prison employees...she can found women's survivor groups which she can counsil them on how to get out of abusive relationships by hacking their "alleged" abusers. I do know I will not watch one more second of this crap . I guess I should at least be grateful they found her guilty of 1st degree murder unlike the Pinellas 12 morons that let Casey Anthony go.
On the bright side...if she doesn't get retried and if she doesn't get the DP on the retry, she will be spending the rest of her days in this place, and it's definitely no country club. There are some hardcore prisoners in there too who could eat JA for breakfast! She'll be in maximum security for several years at least though.

Jodi Arias Rose colored glasses - Revised and Narrated - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime