Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 10:41 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
A screwdriver, how horrific. It is interesting how similar their cases are and yet I don't remember hearing anything about the Selimovic murder; not "sexy" enough to make the news, I suppose. At least he had the sense to plead guilty to 1st degree...Arias was arrogant enough to think she could get away with 2nd, if not acquitted.
That is what blew me away ... Selimovic wanted a shower and shave before she took him to the airport, in the bathroom, he asked her for a razor and as she turned around he started stabbing her in the back with the 6" serrated screwdriver!!! She went down, fighting, defensive wounds on her hands and crawls out of the bathroom .... it was surreal to read that and the Alexander family is sitting there listening.

I have questioned reporters on Twitter why can't this trial start on time ... Judge Stephens would be hearing one or two cases before starting the Arias case. I know from articles I have read the bus from the jailhouse transporting inmates for trials arrives at the courthouse at 7:00 AM, so trials start early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Did he get death penalty?
Life ... no jury trial ... Judge gave him natural life ... which is forever according to the article. I just found it weird in the same courtroom, same judge, started in bathroom, stabbing, breaking up, Emina's sister saying "won't have to come here any more and see the defendant." With the Alexander family sitting there to hear this.

Here is the article from Camille:

CAMILLE KIMBALL: Confessions of a Slightly Famous Crime Writer: Dzevad and Emina and Jodi

Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
She wears that Handcuff necklace. Makes me go... Hummmm.

I'd bet she could teach Jodi a few things about kinky.
Have you guys seen this old clip of Nancy in her prosecutor days? Hard to reconcile the old Nancy with the HLN Nancy...they seem like 2 different people. I have to admit I find her pretty funny sometimes...like when she hung up on JA's buddy Donavan the other day

Nancy Grace Fiery Prosecutor - YouTube

Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
That is what blew me away ... Selimovic wanted a shower and shave before she took him to the airport, in the bathroom, he asked her for a razor and as she turned around he started stabbing her in the back with the 6" serrated screwdriver!!! She went down, fighting, defensive wounds on her hands and crawls out of the bathroom .... it was surreal to read that and the Alexander family is sitting there listening.

I have questioned reporters on Twitter why can't this trial start on time ... Judge Stephens would be hearing one or two cases before starting the Arias case. I know from articles I have read the bus from the jailhouse transporting inmates for trials arrives at the courthouse at 7:00 AM, so trials start early.

Life ... no jury trial ... Judge gave him natural life ... which is forever according to the article. I just found it weird in the same courtroom, same judge, started in bathroom, stabbing, breaking up, Emina's sister saying "won't have to come here any more and see the defendant." With the Alexander family sitting there to hear this.

Here is the article from Camille:

CAMILLE KIMBALL: Confessions of a Slightly Famous Crime Writer: Dzevad and Emina and Jodi

ARS 13-751 paragraph 3:

A defendant who is sentenced to natural life is not eligible for commutation, parole, work furlough, work release or release from confinement on any basis.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:20 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
good stuff.... interview with former FBI profiler who works on the series Criminal Minds.... speaking about Jodi Arias during sentencing phase-

Jodi Arias Pleads For Life - YouTube

Old 05-27-2013, 02:58 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
I said this several pages ago, but I sincerely hope that the end result of all of this is LWOP for Jodi. What she did is heinous and tragic, but what she's done since only compounds the angst that the Alexanders must feel. Keeping her in the public eye with this endless trial, all of these TV interviews -- it's giving her the attention that she desperately craves. If she gets the death penalty, there will be endless years of appeals -- and every time her appeal comes around, I promise you that she'll do another round of interviews from prison. Jodi doesn't really care if she lives or dies -- even if she gets the DP, she's unlikely to be executed for decades, if at all, and she'll continue to get attention and focus. Also, if she ever IS executed, I don't think I need to tell you that she'll be yapping in front of cameras until the very last second. Meanwhile, the Alexanders will be continually unable to forget her face (as much as they can) because it will keep appearing on TVs.

The worst punishment for Jodi isn't death. It's being forgotten. Life in prison without parole is the way to go here -- a few appeals, but those will be done quickly, and then she can be left to languish in prison for the rest of her life while the world moves on to something new.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post

The worst punishment for Jodi isn't death. It's being forgotten. Life in prison without parole is the way to go here -- a few appeals, but those will be done quickly, and then she can be left to languish in prison for the rest of her life while the world moves on to something new.
I agree. She needs to be fogotten. I think the best punishment for Jodi waking up every day and knowing that she has nothing to look forward, no trials, no appeals, no interviews. Travis died tragically but he died fast, she will be in a cell trapped for years, that's the death she chose for herself when she decided to become a murderer.

Jodi really acts like a borderline. Those people will never accept they were wrong and she will never accept she is miserable in jail. Jails and prisons are no picnic and I don't believe for a minute that she is having the time of her life in jail. This is just another way for Jodi to get back to the people who want her to be punished.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:57 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Have you guys seen this old clip of Nancy in her prosecutor days? Hard to reconcile the old Nancy with the HLN Nancy...they seem like 2 different people. I have to admit I find her pretty funny sometimes...like when she hung up on JA's buddy Donavan the other day

Nancy Grace Fiery Prosecutor - YouTube
Thanks for posting this. I couldn't rep. you for it but I really appreciated to see her as a prosecutor and the good work she did and even though she is sometimes over the top, she fully understand what it is to be on the side of the victim and on the side of the prosecutor bringing the murderer to justice!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
That was an excellent interview on Crime Time, thanks for posting it. Nice to see the viewpoints of an expert in the field of crime and how they parallel what a lot of us on here feel about JA. His comment that he has never seen anyone like JA in his years of doing this speaks volumes about what a whack job she is.

Don

Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That was an excellent interview on Crime Time, thanks for posting it. Nice to see the viewpoints of an expert in the field of crime and how they parallel what a lot of us on here feel about JA. His comment that he has never seen anyone like JA in his years of doing this speaks volumes about what a whack job she is.

Don
feel free to rep me anytime

This case has caused me to reflect on my feelings about the Death Penalty, and I am glad for that. And not in a casual way, but in a substantial way.

I remember being on the debate team in 7th grade and arguing both for and against the Death Penalty.

Throughout my youth, I felt strongly in support of the DP. But in the past few years (5-7+), I've found myself feeling generally more against it than for it. I think my Buddhist meditation practice may have had an effect there, but no way to know for sure.

Knowing that innocent people are on death row, that millions of dollars are spent on trials, appeals, etc, knowing its not a deterrent, knowing that the people who do executions for their job are affected by it, these are all factors that make me wish we could do away with the DP in our country.

I understand how victim's families would want it, and since I haven't had a loved one brutally murdered, I can't say I know how I would feel if it were me. And there have been a few cases I've read about over the years where I thought, "there is no reason for that person to be alive anymore." When I reflect on the fact that Gary Ridgeway is sitting in a prison somewhere, as opposed to dead, I don't feel any different either way. Based on reading I've done, having the criminal executed doesn't necessarily bring closure for people, and I can understand why it wouldn't.

Anyway, tying this back to Jodi. I think if she gets the DP, she will use every appeal to spew more of her toxic garbage about being abused by Travis, etc. So I feel for the Alexander family in having to travel to Arizona for years or decades on end to endure that. And then to perhaps have the DP overturned at some point. It would be tough. I wish there was a way to just make sure she never gets out again. And then they could get working on forgetting her, like most of us will.

Last edited by KittenSparkles; 05-27-2013 at 11:32 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What a circus this trial was! The fact that it took nearly five years to even start the court process was disgusting enough. After the rightful conviction of first degree murder, the jury is hung on sentencing. I don't see why it couldn't have been a unanimous decision to send her to death row. The murder was extremely heinous, and she admitted to killing him. To me, there would have been no reservation about imposing the death penalty. Any cold blooded murder is deserving of capital punishment!

Why were some jurors hesitant about the death penalty ... because she's a woman??? I think that had a lot to do with it. If the same murder was committed by a man, it's hang him high time, but the fact that she's a woman somehow qualifies her as the "weaker sex" & makes people more sympathetic. Such b.s.! A murder is a murder regardless of who committed the crime. Things like gender, race, or age should not matter under any circumstances.

The cost of this three ring circus is ridiculous. Now it's going to cost Maricopa County taxpayers even more money for the new trial slated for July. What a mess! Since she admitted to the killing, that alone should be an instant sentence for the ultimate punishment. And for those who say it costs more for the death penalty than for life in prison, there's a very good reason for that: it's the way we utilize the death penalty cases these days. Criminals on death row still get their freebies like any other prisoner, and they often stay on death row for 10 years or longer before yet another appeals process is under way by the shyster lawyers trying to halt the execution. By the time the person on death row is finally executed, it is often 20 years or longer after the crime was committed, and the execution itself is a mere needle in the arm. The entire process is ineffective and costly. I sure wish we could go back to the old style of capital punishment: hangings, electric chairs, gas chambers, firing squads, etc. ... and not wait 20 years or more to carry out the punishment!
Real life isn't like TV.
If the Arias case was the only murder case in Arizona, and the trial the only murder trial, it would have gone much faster. But it wasn't of course, and the court dockets are filled up. Much of the time was spent in line, waiting for other cases in that court to be finished.

Forensic evidence always takes much more time in real life than on CSI. DNA tests are stacked up to the ceiling in a lot of labs, waiting and waiting their turn. Since some labs' procedures have been challenged and have failed in the past, the procedures now are much more strict, as a sloppy procedure can overturn a trial on appeal.
Lab technicians for state and city labs have been cut in budget cuts. Lawyers have been cut. All the clerks and support personnel, the gears that keep things clicking, have been cut. Every cut means a longer period of just waiting in line, and the line grows longer with each cut.

Ineffective? You bet. If the choice is to either raise taxes or cut personnel, we both know which way that one will go. You can't have it both ways.

No jury is a sure bet on any verdict. We have all seen that. You can rant all you want, but you won't change human nature, and when a life is literally in a juror's hands, a certain outcome is much more unpredictable than it is when the death penalty isn't in consideration. If the prosecutor had not sought the death penalty, Arias probably would have been sentenced and imprisoned long ago.

Cost is cost. That's why so many crimes are plea bargained; a plea bargain avoids the cost of a trial, and is the cheapest of all alternatives. There is little the state can do if a defendant insists on a jury trial. Even a trial for robbery can cost a million bucks these days when there's a bunch of circumstantial evidence and very little direct evidence.

"A mere needle in the arm" isn't so mere when it's YOUR arm or the arm of your child. Death cannot be reversed. While the Constitution calls for a speedy trial, it does not demand a speedy execution. A good thing too- remember that Illinois released 150 death row inmates due to bad trials a few years ago. The same thing can happen in Arizona or anywhere.

That lethal injection isn't so spectacularly violent as a hanging or electrocution makes no difference to the person who dies. All it does is make the event more palatable to the witnesses.
I guarantee that if you were a witness in an electrocution you would never be the same again, and you would certainly not be so bloodthirsty afterwards. A hanging is even worse. Neither is anything like the movies.

Is the death penalty ineffective, very expensive and a wasteful? You bet it is. But so are the state's expenses in settling a wrongful execution, in ways that are not just financial. If you really are worried about the money, you should be talking to your state representative about having the death penalty done away with. Life without parole is 1/4th the cost of the death penalty, and the guilty live about the same length of time with either. The trials are speedier, and the sentence comes faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime