Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 02:36 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times

Advertisements

Jodi started a Book Club online. It has quite a selection of reviews on fiction and non fiction books, as well as a lot of information on Correctional Education.

I am actually really impressed. Her reviews are articulate and introspective.

examples: Fiction:
I just finished 'To Kill a Mockingbird', which I managed to avoid reading in HS. I understand now why it's a classic. It was a good read. This author, now elderly and nearly blind and deaf, was conned out of her royalties for a period, but won them back in a recent legal battle. Good for her! There is so much quotable material in this book. A few that stuck out to me: 'The one place a man ought to get a square deal is in a courtroom, be he any color of the rainbow, but people have a way of carrying their resentment right into the jury box.'(Atticus Finch) and, 'It's never an insult to be called what somebody thinks is a bad name. It just shows you how poor that person is, it doesn't hurt you.' (Atticus Finch). I cried three times reading this book." Jodi A. Arias.

Non Fiction:

The Four Agreements
Don Miguel Ruiz

"This book offers a fresh perspective on the philosophy that other people's issues with you are not really about you, but are a reflection what they dislike about themselves" Jodi A. Arias

It appears Jodi keeps herself highly intellectually stimulated during her solitary time in prison.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:19 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Jodi started a Book Club online. It has quite a selection of reviews on fiction and non fiction books, as well as a lot of information on Correctional Education.

examples: Fiction:
I just finished 'To Kill a Mockingbird', which I managed to avoid reading in HS. I understand now why it's a classic. It was a good read. This author, now elderly and nearly blind and deaf, was conned out of her royalties for a period, but won them back in a recent legal battle. Good for her! There is so much quotable material in this book. A few that stuck out to me: 'The one place a man ought to get a square deal is in a courtroom, be he any color of the rainbow, but people have a way of carrying their resentment right into the jury box.'(Atticus Finch) and, 'It's never an insult to be called what somebody thinks is a bad name. It just shows you how poor that person is, it doesn't hurt you.' (Atticus Finch). I cried three times reading this book." Jodi A. Arias.

Non Fiction:

The Four Agreements
Don Miguel Ruiz

"This book offers a fresh perspective on the philosophy that other people's issues with you are not really about you, but are a reflection what they dislike about themselves" Jodi A. Arias

It appears Jodi keeps herself highly intellectually stimulated during her solitary time in prison.

Well she has plenty of time to read I guess.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:58 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:

I haven't read the book so I can't evaluate her assessment but:

It sounds to me like she still thinks she is a victim and she still lacks self awareness. A person more in touch with their feelings and actions would have written:

"This book offers a fresh perspective on the philosophy that OUR issues with other people are not really about THEM but are a reflection of what WE dislike about OURSELVES".

What I read is that Jodi still thinks she can do no wrong, that something other people do, not her.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:

A better option than obsessing and drawing pictures of the Alexander family.

There's motivation and propaganda as well, DP could still be a reality for Arias.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
A better option than obsessing and drawing pictures of the Alexander family.

There's motivation and propaganda as well, DP could still be a reality for Arias.
What she probably needs is theraphy. She is reading books to support her victim mentality. That just makes her more angry and dysfuctional.

I haven't read the book but to me it doesn't sound like a great analysis, sorry Trinity. Arias doesn't seem to be in a state of mind where she can evaluate a book objectively. She seems to be looking for characters to relate to, she wants to justify her crime. I don't even believe she is doing it for media attention, she looks like a very angry woman who feels victimized. I do hope one day she can face her own demons, face the fact that she took away a life unnecessarily and be at peace with herself in prison. Until then her cognitive dissonance is gonna drive her crazy.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
What she probably needs is theraphy. She is reading books to support her victim mentality. That just makes her more angry and dysfuctional.

I haven't read the book but to me it doesn't sound like a great analysis, sorry Trinity. Arias doesn't seem to be in a state of mind where she can evaluate a book objectively. She seems to be looking for characters to relate to, she wants to justify her crime. I don't even believe she is doing it for media attention, she looks like a very angry woman who feels victimized.I do hope one day she can face her own demons, face the fact that she took away a life unnecessarily and be at peace with herself in prison. Until then her cognitive dissonance is gonna drive her crazy.
She wouldn't respond to theraputic help, but a great case study for prison personnel. In fact she'll get worse in solitary from 23/7 confinement.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM

I agree. She's definitely not evolved pass the victim mentality, and is definitely not objective.
It's almost like she's playing her own therapist, finding and twisting passages to support her angle. However, I do think she's intelligent, and these book reviews show Jodi mentality of manipulation.

Yeah, maybe this is part of a set up for the next penalty phase.

I'm very curious to see what the defense strategy will be.
Will they focus on the grandfather's gun and ammo (rather, lack of ammo, and lack of a murder weapon)?
Will they focus on abuse and PTSD?
Or will they focus on that impossible timeline of the shooting/stabbing?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM

You never know. IMO, it'll be hard to find 12 people persuaded to DP.

It'll be a summarization of all the key factors. Prosecution will emphasize his death was premeditated in extreme cruelty for a DP verdict. Defense will probably stay focused on Arias family history of abuse, Alexanders mental abuse and PTSD.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I've purposefully stayed away from anything JA related, including this thread. It has been so nice not to have to think of her any more. But, what is going on with the new trial ? I tried to catch up by reading some recent posts but didn't really learn anything........maybe I missed it.

Are they going to have a new jury to decide the penalty ?

Don

Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM

The latest thing to happen,judicially, was that Judge Stevens denied a motion by defense attorneys to set aside the jury's determination that Jodi killed Travis in an "especially cruel'' manner, therefore making her eligible for the death penalty.

From what I can gather, Juan is still deciding whether to take the death penalty off the table and avoiding another trial, meaning Jodi would be sentenced to life in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime