U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,761,566 times
Reputation: 26119

Advertisements

This is such a waste of time, money, and is really everything wrong with our entire judicial system. Fine, the first jury could not come to a consensus, okay, Jail for life, no parole. Done. We don't need to continue this agenda forever...what happens if this jury can't decide on the death penalty? Get another one, and another one, and another one? When does it end?

 
Old 08-31-2013, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,405,279 times
Reputation: 5654
I think it has been said before here, I haven't verified it yet that if this new jury does not agree then it will be the judge's decision. The judge can sentence her to life in prison but cannot go for the death penalty, only a jury can go for the death penalty in AZ.

I agree it's ridiculous. Most likely they won't agree the second time either and it's a rushed decision by a jury who probably won't get the full story. It's sounds a little like double jeopardy. That law sounds very outdated and pro death penalty.
 
Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,019,765 times
Reputation: 1466
I'm sure HLN is thrilled to go another round....

"Jodi Arias, The Sequel: Crime of Passion? or Cold Blooded Murder?"
 
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
39,585 posts, read 47,836,774 times
Reputation: 110517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I think it has been said before here, I haven't verified it yet that if this new jury does not agree then it will be the judge's decision. The judge can sentence her to life in prison but cannot go for the death penalty, only a jury can go for the death penalty in AZ.

I agree it's ridiculous. Most likely they won't agree the second time either and it's a rushed decision by a jury who probably won't get the full story. It's sounds a little like double jeopardy. That law sounds very outdated and pro death penalty.
^^^You are 100% correct. If this jury can't come to a decisive conclusion then by law there is no more trials, the judge makes the final decision. He cannot give her the death sentence, only a jury can.
 
Old 09-02-2013, 02:39 AM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
17,652 posts, read 11,215,003 times
Reputation: 37701
IMO she is getting a fate that I would not want. I would truly rather die than spend the rest of my life behind bars. How horrible it must be to wake up every morning to another day exactly like the one before and the one before that.

I don't see this particular judge ruling for death, she seems too wishy washy for making that kind of decision. She certainly didn't control this trial like Belvin Perry did in the Casey Anthony trial, there was a judge who ruled with an iron fist and kept the nonsense to a minimum.

Don
 
Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM
 
9,228 posts, read 9,297,498 times
Reputation: 28940
Quote:
This is such a waste of time, money, and is really everything wrong with our entire judicial system. Fine, the first jury could not come to a consensus, okay, Jail for life, no parole. Done. We don't need to continue this agenda forever...what happens if this jury can't decide on the death penalty? Get another one, and another one, and another one? When does it end?
Arizona law mandates a life sentence if a second jury cannot agree on the death penalty.

I agree with what you just said. I think anything less than a unanimous verdict for a death sentence should result in a sentence of life without parole the first time around.

However, the blame does not lie with the judicial system. It lies with the Arizona Legislature. Judges don't make the laws they are expected to enforce.
 
Old 09-03-2013, 06:49 PM
 
25,916 posts, read 39,216,922 times
Reputation: 13906
As long as there is no parole and maybe it would be nice not ever to allow her to be interviewed, that would be ok with me!
 
Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,904 posts, read 6,205,196 times
Reputation: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I'm sure HLN is thrilled to go another round....

"Jodi Arias, The Sequel: Crime of Passion? or Cold Blooded Murder?"
Sad but true.
 
Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 PM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,019,765 times
Reputation: 1466
After 22 years, Debra Milke walks free in Arizona, Death ruling overturned....

CNN News:

"A jury convicted the Arizona woman, now 49, of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, child abuse and kidnapping on October 12, 1990, less than a year after her 4-year-old son was found dead. A judge sentenced her to death a few months later.
But those convictions and the related sentence were tossed out Thursday by a federal appeals court judge. In explaining his decision, Chief Judge Alex Kozinski of the federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals chided the prosecution for remaining "unconstitutionally silent" on the "history of misconduct" of its key witness, a Phoenix police detective.
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,928,670 times
Reputation: 17992
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
After 22 years, Debra Milke walks free in Arizona, Death ruling overturned....

CNN News:

"A jury convicted the Arizona woman, now 49, of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, child abuse and kidnapping on October 12, 1990, less than a year after her 4-year-old son was found dead. A judge sentenced her to death a few months later.
But those convictions and the related sentence were tossed out Thursday by a federal appeals court judge. In explaining his decision, Chief Judge Alex Kozinski of the federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals chided the prosecution for remaining "unconstitutionally silent" on the "history of misconduct" of its key witness, a Phoenix police detective.
Does this mean she walks away from her prison sentencing?

I can see you're wheels are turning.... do you think a Federal Judge will over turn Arias conviction in 10 yrs for similar reason? I guess there's always the possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top