U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 12:40 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,357,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Does this mean she walks away from her prison sentencing?

I can see you're wheels are turning.... do you think a Federal Judge will over turn Arias conviction in 10 yrs for similar reason? I guess there's always the possibility.
Hopefully the prosecution followed the rules. When I served on a Grand Jury in Arizona, on several occasions we were formally advised by the Assistant DA of prior misconduct by police officers involved in the cases we were hearing.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,020,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Does this mean she walks away from her prison sentencing?

I can see you're wheels are turning.... do you think a Federal Judge will over turn Arias conviction in 10 yrs for similar reason? I guess there's always the possibility.
I'm sure the wheels are turning in Jodi's head!!

"Debra Milke walked out of the Maricopa County sheriff's jail on Friday, after supporters posted her $250,000 bond."

"Milke has not been exonerated, but a judge allowed her to could go free while she prepares for a new trial in a case that made her one of Arizona's most reviled inmates."

Wow. Maricopa County spends a ton of money on these high profile cases. But a quarter million isn't chump change. Debra's supporters picked up the tab for the bond. I'm sure Jodi has supporters, including HNL, that would pick up a high price tag bond in order to keep this circus going....

Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Hopefully the prosecution followed the rules. When I served on a Grand Jury in Arizona, on several occasions we were formally advised by the Assistant DA of prior misconduct by police officers involved in the cases we were hearing.
Exactly. Police officers, Detectives, and Prosecutors ....

"federal appeals court overturned Milke's conviction, ruling that the prosecution should have disclosed information about the truthfulness of the now-retired detective who testified that Milke confessed."

"At trial, Milke denied that she had confessed, but the jury believed the detective."

"Milke was a 25-year-old insurance company clerk when her son was killed. She has maintained her innocence, saying she had nothing to do with the death. The two men convicted in the case both remain on death row. Neither Roger Scott nor former Milke roommate James Styers testified at Milke's trial. Scott confessed during a police interrogation and led detectives to the boy's body."

"No civilized system of justice should have to depend on such flimsy evidence, quite possibly tainted by dishonesty or overzealousness, to decide whether to take someone's life or liberty," chief judge Alex Kozinski wrote for the court.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 PM

Monday(16th) was supposed to be the pre-trial hearing but Judge Stevens postponed it, again, untill Oct. 4, 2013.

" Instead of Monday, Judge Sherry Stephens may rule on pending motions and set a penalty phase retrial date at 8:30 a.m. on Oct.$."
Read more: Jodi Arias trial update: Judge postpones hearing to October

Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 PM

17,668 posts, read 11,227,347 times
I don't think they could have found a weaker judge if they had tried. I don't think many other judges would have allowed the trial to get as goofy as it did, or would prolong this thing through all the postponements that she has. Some will say she did that intentionally to keep an appeal from being successful, but I think she is just wishy washy.

Don

Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I don't think they could have found a weaker judge if they had tried. I don't think many other judges would have allowed the trial to get as goofy as it did, or would prolong this thing through all the postponements that she has. Some will say she did that intentionally to keep an appeal from being successful, but I think she is just wishy washy.

Don
Yeah, it sure seems like Judge Stevens is sluggish. It appears she is overwhelmed and constantly needs more time to absorb the happenings. This is lining up to drag into 2014.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 AM

25,942 posts, read 39,232,732 times
So what is the next date? I haven't been watching it, but want to watch and have her get the sentence she deserves and put away. In this case I'm all for the death penalty but otherwise life without parole sounds good too an then on top of that no media interviews for Jodi added to her sentence.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
So what is the next date? I haven't been watching it, but want to watch and have her get the sentence she deserves and put away. In this case I'm all for the death penalty but otherwise life without parole sounds good too an then on top of that no media interviews for Jodi added to her sentence.

Monday(16th) was supposed to be the pre-trial hearing but Judge Stevens postponed it, again, until Oct. 4, 2013.
There's obviously a lot of 'behind the scenes' activity going on that we,the public, are not privy to.

It appears that in Arizona, at least, there's still a lot of public interest in the case. What's kind of interesting, the Arizona State Senate had a legislative summit last Friday. Apparently this summit was primarily put together by the Death Penalty Alternatives for Arizona, although everyone showed up, including Sheriff Bill Montgomery.

The upshot of the summit wasn't based on the moral argument, but the financial one. There was testimony presented that the projected total cost of the case could reach upward of 8 million dollars!! It was stated that there was a strong possibly that the legislature will abolish the Death Penalty, or put it on a ballot for voters to decide on.

The Debra Milkes case was brought up as a recent example of taxpayer's money not being effectively spent (she walked free) and apparently quite a few of the public (ahem,'voters') vocalized their opposition to spend grandiose more money on obtaining the DP on this case.

It appears to me, the argument over the DP is turning political. Politicians might start fearing for their vote if the DP is not abolished.

I also found interesting, as the system stands now, Travis Alexander's (the victim) family has the major influence to say how the case is perused, with DP or not. Future legislation might also change that to letting the State have the decision to seek the DP or not.

I personally think the current interest in the Jodi Arias and Travis Alexander case is turning from the sensationalized 'Real-life Lover's drama' to the ongoing 'Real-life Legal drama.'

Maybe HNL will headline their hype during second trial "Alexanders vs Arias: Justice or Revenge?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,206,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
This is lining up to drag into 2014.
HLN will like that.lol

Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,937,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
HLN will like that.lol
No doubt they will...lol
Though my HLN viewing is limited, I subscribe to Nancy Grace news feed via fb and appreciate her interest in missing children, families and abuse issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime