U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,802,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It has been so nice not to have her on TV or having to look at Nancy Grace or those other news greedy personalities trying to make something out of nothing. I just want JA to go away into oblivion.

Don
agree

Stopped watching Grace after the Anthony trial. Recall Jane Velez-Mitchell running in front of Orlando courthouse to create drama and hysteria?.

Our trash corporate media glorifies criminals and pushes for them to get on tabloids. Why is search engine bing streaming Anthony's pics?. TMZ is also trash. Americans need to start demanding responsible media that reports facts. Not tabloid trash.

....."if you stop watching them, the media will cease creating these cretins into public icons"
~fran lebowitz

Old 10-24-2013, 06:56 PM

21,547 posts, read 14,436,685 times
I think Arias' defense lawyers, whoever they may be now, have some valid petitions that the judge will have to consider before any re-trial begins.
One is empaneling a different jury in a different town. Since this case was broadcast and so notorious, the defense can argue that trying to find any unbiased jury in the state of Arizona is impossible now.

The costs of a retrial are another. The first trial cost Arizona several million dollars. Moving the trial would increase the time and cause further expense, as all records and prosecutors (and their staff) would have to be moved and housed. Depending on the prosecution's strategy, additional expense could come from bringing back expert witnesses to address new issues, finding new witnesses, etc.
Cost is a real factor. Every prosecutor's office runs on a yearly trial budget. Prosecutors are county employees, so it's the county that bears the brunt of the costs. There have been instances of expensive trials bankrupting impoverished counties in the past. (i don't know if this has happened in Arizona.) It may be possible for a county to deny accepting the retrial because it can't afford the costs.

ˆf a second jury hangs, it will only increase the notoriety of the case, and finding a 3rd jury could repeat the whole lengthy process all over again.

I suspect that, in the end, the judge may decide the sentencing. If this happens, the only sentence that can be given may be life with possibility of parole, but the Arias case is certainly one that won't be forgotten. Parole boards of the future will know about it, and the trial's extensive records don't create any favorable light for Jodi.

I think she will end up living her life out in prison, even if she goes up before a parole board every decade or thereabouts. She is who she is, and her words will leave just as unfavorable impression on a parole board as they did to the jury.

Remember the jury was charged to settle two things:
- Was the crime 1st degree murder?
- What should the penalty be?

Arias admitted to the killing before the trial ever began. She claimed self-defense. The jury could have found her guilty of many lesser charges, and on a very long shot, may have been able to find the killing justifiable. They all found her guilty of the most serious charge, 1st degree murder.

The cheapest, easiest, and fastest penalty verdict is life with possibility of parole. Given all the complications, I tend to think this is the one that will be handed down.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM

17,668 posts, read 11,227,347 times
Jodi who ?????

Don

Old 10-25-2013, 12:13 AM

39,593 posts, read 47,862,313 times
Anyone care to help:
Jodi Arias solicits donations via Twitter - UPI.com

Old 10-25-2013, 12:40 AM

25 posts, read 22,593 times
She is smokin hot.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:04 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,407,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Someone asked her if the donations are tax deductable.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM

313 posts, read 351,996 times
I don't want this manipulative psycho paroled. Ever. She (and others like her both men and women) who have committed such heinous acts give up their right to live among us, IMO.

Life w/o parole seems to be a good compromise between Jodi's side wanting life w/ parole and TA's family & DA wanting death penalty. In cases like JA's where there is 0 chance of an innocent person being given DP, I'm for it in theory. I'm more on the fence where there is even the teeniest doubt of guilt. That said, given that in practice the way DP is handled, it just drags things out for yrs w/ appeal after appeal, the cost to the taxpayer is not worth it in this case.

In our family, when we lost someone to murder, during our consultation we told the DA from our point of view life w/o parole would be just fine b/c we never wanted to hear about the killer again. If I was TA's family I would just want that as well and be done w/ JA.

I just want JA to go away and never be heard from again. Yuck, what a vile creature she is!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:36 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,040,513 times
[quote=PumpkinEscobar;31951363]She is smokin hot.[/quote

Meh to each his own... to me she looks like a mouse/rat.

I have not followed this case since the jury hung on death. I just hope her every day is filled with misery and remorse...I have a feeling she will still be happy behind bars manipulating fellow prisoners and I am sure she will hook up with some horny guards...so depressing she will be getting laid probably more than the average 34 year old!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM

39,593 posts, read 47,862,313 times
Latest Jodi news, her attorney has no tolerance for her emotional shortcommings...
Jodi Arias files motion to fire attorney, says he has "little to no tolerance" for her "emotional shortcomings" - Crimesider - CBS News

Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,020,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think Arias' defense lawyers, whoever they may be now, have some valid petitions that the judge will have to consider before any re-trial begins.
One is empaneling a different jury in a different town. Since this case was broadcast and so notorious, the defense can argue that trying to find any unbiased jury in the state of Arizona is impossible now.

The costs of a retrial are another. The first trial cost Arizona several million dollars. Moving the trial would increase the time and cause further expense, as all records and prosecutors (and their staff) would have to be moved and housed. Depending on the prosecution's strategy, additional expense could come from bringing back expert witnesses to address new issues, finding new witnesses, etc.
Cost is a real factor. Every prosecutor's office runs on a yearly trial budget. Prosecutors are county employees, so it's the county that bears the brunt of the costs. There have been instances of expensive trials bankrupting impoverished counties in the past. (i don't know if this has happened in Arizona.) It may be possible for a county to deny accepting the retrial because it can't afford the costs.

f a second jury hangs, it will only increase the notoriety of the case, and finding a 3rd jury could repeat the whole lengthy process all over again.

I suspect that, in the end, the judge may decide the sentencing. If this happens, the only sentence that can be given may be life with possibility of parole, but the Arias case is certainly one that won't be forgotten. Parole boards of the future will know about it, and the trial's extensive records don't create any favorable light for Jodi.

I think she will end up living her life out in prison, even if she goes up before a parole board every decade or thereabouts. She is who she is, and her words will leave just as unfavorable impression on a parole board as they did to the jury.

Remember the jury was charged to settle two things:
- Was the crime 1st degree murder?
- What should the penalty be?

Arias admitted to the killing before the trial ever began. She claimed self-defense. The jury could have found her guilty of many lesser charges, and on a very long shot, may have been able to find the killing justifiable. They all found her guilty of the most serious charge, 1st degree murder.

The cheapest, easiest, and fastest penalty verdict is life with possibility of parole. Given all the complications, I tend to think this is the one that will be handed down.
I agree, LWOP would be the most practical, pragmatic solution and completion to this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime