U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,399,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The justice system doesn't care . She is a "celeb" in her own mind bcs she's a sociopathic narcissist. Unfortunately trash media requires rating$ and make white trash murderers fodder for conversation. Posting about her on fakebook and twitter is feeding her narcissism.

Time to move on. Next month will be another white trash chick in the news who kills someone. Isn't everyone sick of irresponsible media?.
The media just plays what people want to watch unless of course you live in Cuba or North Korea.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:56 PM

9,914 posts, read 9,308,889 times
The National District Attorneys Association honored Juan Martinez with its “Home Run Hitter Award for Outstanding Prosecution” for 2013 because of the Arias murder trial and conviction.

Objections raised to Juan Martinez's conduct in Jodi Arias trial

Old 10-30-2013, 06:09 PM

25,890 posts, read 39,185,477 times
Juan Martinez for President!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 PM

39,553 posts, read 47,780,182 times
Judge denies Jodi Arias motion to fire her attorney...
Judge denies Jodi Arias motion to fire defense attorney Kirk Nurmi

Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Judge denies Jodi Arias motion to fire her attorney...
Judge denies Jodi Arias motion to fire defense attorney Kirk Nurmi
Poor Nurmi has tried many times to be removed from the case and the judge always says no way!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,760,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The National District Attorneys Association honored Juan Martinez with its “Home Run Hitter Award for Outstanding Prosecution” for 2013 because of the Arias murder trial and conviction.

I just saw this...I am so proud of Juan! As for the AZCentral article, Michael Kiefer is an extremely biased "journalist" who has a longstanding hate-on for Mr. Martinez, so take anything he says with a massive grain of salt!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM

313 posts, read 351,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

Go Juan!
I recently watched some ID shows and an old Snapped episode where JM was being interviewed. He came across as very caring and calm. He must get all fired up in the court room.

During the JA trial I thought he needed to dial it down a notch but after watching the MacNeil trial in Utah, I appreciate Martinez even more. Those guys look like corporate suits/lawyers in a mock trial in some high rise office building. Half the time I can't even tell which side they belong to. Boring!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 AM

9,208 posts, read 9,283,907 times
Quote:
Poor Nurmi has tried many times to be removed from the case and the judge always says no way!
Actually, its fairly common for criminal defendants to attempt to fire their attorneys during the course of legal proceedings. They learn very quickly that no attorney can can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. When the attorney explains to them that they are going to prison for a long time--no matter what he does--many of them begin viewing their attorney as part of the system that is "out to get them".

Judges in criminal cases frequently get requests from such individuals to fire their attorney and to appoint a new one. In my experience, all judges handle it a bit differently. Most want to give an appearance of fairness and so many will allow them to fire the first attorney appointed early on in the proceedings. The longer legal proceedings go, the more difficult it is to relieve counsel. Therefore, judges are less likely to allow counsel to be terminated at that point. It generally only occurs late in proceedings if there is some kind of misconduct.

Its not much fun to be legal counsel in a case where a client is totally uncooperative. This generally means that he/she refuses to take the lawyer's advice. My hunch is that Nurmi has been offered a guilty plea with a sentence of life imprisonment by the prosecution and his client refuses to accept it. This would explain why he wants out of the case.

Nurmi doesn't have to worry about being paid. However, there are situations where lawyers are required to continue serving as counsel in cases where their clients stop paying them. Typically, the client is unhappy with their attorney in these cases and wants to fire them, but cannot afford another one. So, the court requires the attorney to continue to serve without compensation. I had that happen once and I have to admit it irritated me that a judge who can count on a nice regular salary of $150 K a year with benefits could require me to work for nothing.

Nurmi has been bashed a lot in this case. However, his presence at least guarantees that Arias gets a fair trial. Hopefully, everyone would want at least that much.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:51 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,194,230 times
Let's face it, the defense team had very little positive to work with here, so under the circumstances they probably did as well as anyone could have. JA was not exactly the kind of client I would want if I were an Attorney, she was her own worst enemy in all of it........what with that "foggy memory" and all of that.

Life has been so pleasant the past few months, not having to see JA face or Nancy Grace's face on the tube. I could get very used to this.

Don

Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM

When Nurmi requested to be taken off of the Arias case he was making $225 an hour defending Arias. The County Board of Supervisors voted to free up extra money for the defense in anticipation of Nurmi receiving an extra $200,000 for his legal services.

When Casey Anthony filed bankruptcy she claimed she owed over $500,000 in attorney fees.

Victoria Washington along with Nurmi was Arias first defense lawyer. In December 2011, Washington filed a motion to withdraw from the case. Judge Stephens granted Washington's motion December 21, 2011. Willmott was assigned to the case in January 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime