U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-02-2013, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,904 posts, read 6,196,308 times
Reputation: 2224

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Juan Martinez for President!
A bit too full of himself for my tastes.

 
Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 PM
 
9,186 posts, read 9,267,265 times
Reputation: 28754
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
When Nurmi requested to be taken off of the Arias case he was making $225 an hour defending Arias. The County Board of Supervisors voted to free up extra money for the defense in anticipation of Nurmi receiving an extra $200,000 for his legal services.

When Casey Anthony filed bankruptcy she claimed she owed over $500,000 in attorney fees.

Victoria Washington along with Nurmi was Arias first defense lawyer. In December 2011, Washington filed a motion to withdraw from the case. Judge Stephens granted Washington's motion December 21, 2011. Willmott was assigned to the case in January 2012.
I didn't see this post until now, but it deserves a comment.

The easiest way for a county to save legal fees in terms of paying for the cost of a defense lawyer is to waive pursuit of the death penalty in a murder case. The US Supreme Court imposes special requirements on counsel that is appointed to represent a criminal defendant in a capital murder case. Counsel must be "death qualified" to be appointed and frankly, very few criminal defense attorneys have this distinction. To get there, one must be counsel in a certain number of homicide/murder trials. Its hard to get this much experience. Those attorneys who are this experienced can charge handsomely for their services.

Pursuit of the death penalty is not cheap. I personally believe there are a few situations where the state ought to spend the money to try and put someone on death row. However, those situations where this kind of expenditure and effort should be made are limited and budgetary considerations should play some role in making the decision.

Show me a prosecutor who insists on seeking the death penalty in case after case and I'll show you a county or district that is paying a fortune in fees to criminal defense lawyers.
 
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 AM
 
25,877 posts, read 39,142,774 times
Reputation: 13869
It seems Jodi has made death threats towards Juan Martinez stating he will get a bow tie by someone she knows....meaning a cut across the throat and than they seem to pull the tongue out through that part...nasty and it seems to be a MOB remark.
 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times
Reputation: 17982
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
A bit too full of himself for my tastes.
He's all about appearances, posing for the media, autographs as well...a bit too narcissistic for my taste.

Arias had already confessed to her crime, on top of that she testified during her trial making it easier to prove the case. Nothing spectacular about his prosecution skills IMO.
 
Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 PM
 
9,911 posts, read 9,300,737 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I didn't see this post until now, but it deserves a comment.

The easiest way for a county to save legal fees in terms of paying for the cost of a defense lawyer is to waive pursuit of the death penalty in a murder case. The US Supreme Court imposes special requirements on counsel that is appointed to represent a criminal defendant in a capital murder case. Counsel must be "death qualified" to be appointed and frankly, very few criminal defense attorneys have this distinction. To get there, one must be counsel in a certain number of homicide/murder trials. Its hard to get this much experience. Those attorneys who are this experienced can charge handsomely for their services.

Pursuit of the death penalty is not cheap. I personally believe there are a few situations where the state ought to spend the money to try and put someone on death row. However, those situations where this kind of expenditure and effort should be made are limited and budgetary considerations should play some role in making the decision.

Show me a prosecutor who insists on seeking the death penalty in case after case and I'll show you a county or district that is paying a fortune in fees to criminal defense lawyers.

Nurmi and Willmott are both "death qualified" and Victoria Washington was too. If you recall Jose Baez was not death penalty qualified and they had to bring in Cheney Mason. Mason, Sims, Finnell and Baden all worked pro bono with only Baez receiving legal fees. With only one case would this "death qualify" Baez?

I don't know how much Willmott is being paid to defend Arias. The two are still filing motions, the most recent being when they get to the new jury selection the defense team wants the Twitter account names of any prospective juror (if the juror has a Twitter account.) How Judge Stephens handles this motion will be interesting.
 
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
Reputation: 26111
Twitter account names? CD posting account names? Facebook account access? Where would it end? Annonimity gone when you are chosen for jury duty? Forget it.
 
Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 PM
 
9,911 posts, read 9,300,737 times
Reputation: 8048
^^^^ Judge Stephens denied the Twitter motion. I think it bordered on invasion of privacy. The only way they are going to control a jury is to sequester them. Judge Stephens has denied the sequester motion several times along with a change of venue motion.

What got me about the Twitter motion, would Judge Stephens, Nurmi and Willmott stop whoever is posting for Arias on her Twitter account. Troy Hayden and the Arias Twitter account had an exchange over Hayden's article with Arias' former cellmate.

Hayden's article:

Exclusive: Cellmate claims Jodi Arias wanted revenge - FOX 10 News | myfoxphoenix.com
 
Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,764 posts, read 7,820,670 times
Reputation: 13083
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
He's all about appearances, posing for the media, autographs as well...a bit too narcissistic for my taste.

Arias had already confessed to her crime, on top of that she testified during her trial making it easier to prove the case. Nothing spectacular about his prosecution skills IMO.
No, nothing spectacular, unless you forget that she was claiming self-defense.

Juan guided the jury completely away from that nonsense.

Also, the 'posing' and autographs were not his idea; he was somewhat beseiged outside the courtroom with people who wanted those things. I think he was surprised by that, actually.
 
Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
 
1,817 posts, read 2,758,393 times
Reputation: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
He's all about appearances, posing for the media, autographs as well...a bit too narcissistic for my taste.

Arias had already confessed to her crime, on top of that she testified during her trial making it easier to prove the case. Nothing spectacular about his prosecution skills IMO.
No, he isn't.

He was ambushed outside the courthouse in front of cameras ONE TIME which was then replayed incessantly on HLN. That wasn't his fault. What was he supposed to do? Act like a jerk and tell people to leave him alone?

How many interviews have you seen him do since the trial? Zero.

How many trials have you watched? He is much sharper than most of his peers. He has won awards for his performance. His track record speaks for itself.
 
Old 12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times
Reputation: 17982
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
No, he isn't.

He was ambushed outside the courthouse in front of cameras ONE TIME which was then replayed incessantly on HLN. That wasn't his fault. What was he supposed to do? Act like a jerk and tell people to leave him alone?

How many interviews have you seen him do since the trial? Zero.

How many trials have you watched? He is much sharper than most of his peers. He has won awards for his performance. His track record speaks for itself.
So what was up with the autographs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top