U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,772,636 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting if she gets the death penalty. Women are less likely to receive that sentence. She sure seems crazy to me. I wonder why they could not go with insanity defense?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,020,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It would be interesting if she gets the death penalty. Women are less likely to receive that sentence. She sure seems crazy to me. I wonder why they could not go with insanity defense?
Even though popular in TV and movies, the insanity defense is used in less than 1% of all court cases and, when used, has only a 26% success rate.
Of those cases that were successful, 90% of the defendants had been previously diagnosed with mental illness.
In Arizona, the burden is placed on the defendant, who must prove insanity by clear and convincing evidence.

I think the defense should have gone with 'Crime of Passion', (Temporary Insanity). This would take the Death Penalty of the table, and a possible conviction of Voluntary Manslaughter.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,772,636 times
I agree. I would have gone with that. Is she likely to harm anyone again? Of course, any guy who would go out with a crazy chick like here...is really playing with fire.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,762,268 times
She was stalking him for months (slashed his tires on more than one occasion, entered his home without permission, sent threatening emails to another girl he was seeing). This was after they had been broken up for close to a year and they only really dated for 5 months in the first place. Everyone who knew Travis knew immediately who the murderer had to be, even though she lived hours away. She continued to contact his family after she killed him. I don't see how you can claim temporary insanity or crime of passion for something so calculated. She is an obsessive sociopath, there's no rehabilitation possible for someone like that.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 PM

This is America. It's not what is known, it's what is proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Without producing the gun, allegedly stolen from the grandparents, the prosecution is struggling to PROVE pre-meditation. Using gas can receipts and gas purchases is weak.
With all the talking Jodi has done, she has never stated an INTENT to kill Travis, ie 'I wanted him dead', 'he deserved to die' 'if I couldn't have him, no one would', ect.

The knife Jodi testified they got downstairs, from the kitchen, for their sex play. She remembers putting the knife in the dishwasher. I would think forensics would have matched up the stab wounds, if they matched, the prosecution would not bring up mention of the knife, it would not show pre meditation

Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,762,268 times
Oh, the prosecution isn't struggling at all. There's so much more evidence than just the gas cans. The license plate switcheroo? The renting of a car in another city (and specifically requesting one in a color that wouldn't stand out, without GPS)? Her phone conveniently not being turned on within the state of Arizona? Neglecting to tell anyone in her travels that she was going to Mesa? Stopping in Salinas to dye her hair? And Jodi's obviously never going to admit intent - sociopaths rarely do. It took her years just to come up with the self defense story. She's been through 2 other completely different versions of events and would have happily kept up the pretense that ninjas broke in and killed Travis, but the evidence was too damning against her.

The jurors' questions last week made it clear that the prosecution has this in the bag.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:41 PM

25,921 posts, read 39,232,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Oh, the prosecution isn't struggling at all. There's so much more evidence than just the gas cans. The license plate switcheroo? The renting of a car in another city (and specifically requesting one in a color that wouldn't stand out, without GPS)? Her phone conveniently not being turned on within the state of Arizona? Neglecting to tell anyone in her travels that she was going to Mesa? Stopping in Salinas to dye her hair? And Jodi's obviously never going to admit intent - sociopaths rarely do. It took her years just to come up with the self defense story. She's been through 2 other completely different versions of events and would have happily kept up the pretense that ninjas broke in and killed Travis, but the evidence was too damning against her.

The jurors' questions last week made it clear that the prosecution has this in the bag.
I agree with you on this. Clearly proven to be pre-meditated murder. This is not something the defense can get away with by claiming Travis was over sexed and had her do things she didn't want to do.

The first 2 lies and the flowers to the grand ma show how she only think about herself and the cover up. Nothing really points out to self defense and I really feel sorry fo the victim and his family how he is portrait by Jodi but the longer she keeps talking the lies about the things Travis did, the more ridiculous her story becomes.

Without the gun it even more looks like it might have been the gun from Jodi's grand parents house that was stolen since non of Travis family and friends knew about him having a gun and how many strangers can run, pick up a gun that they never used and fire it and than do everything else she did within 2 min. and than start to clean up.

The camera in the washer was her biggest mistake and she thought the camera wouldn't have survived the washing cycle.

She has clearly proven that insanity was not a defense since a person that is insane doesn't know right from wrong.

Jodi could have saved herself if from the 1 min. on the stand she would have said "I'm so sorry for what I did to Travis and his family" but instead she is stating "I'm ashamed of what I did"..so it is all about Jodi not about the victim that according to a juror question got away with hardly any physical things while he was shot, throat sliced and 29 stab wounds...

Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,553,891 times
This is pretty funny

Jodi Arias: Never Before Seen Testimony - YouTube

Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM

HaHaHa that's hilarious!!!

Jodi's turned this whole trial into a circus.....

Old 03-10-2013, 10:57 PM

17,664 posts, read 11,227,347 times
I feel so sorry for the family of Travis Alexander. Not only did she slaughter him but she is trying to slaughter his reputation by claiming all kinds of things about him liking children and lots more, all in an effort to make herself look good. I can only imagine how hurt and outraged they must be, having to sit there quietly and listen to that garbage.

Yes, Travis got caught up in some sexual experimentation with Jodi, but it is nothing most of us didn't do when we were young. She lured him into those sex games and not many young men would refuse that kind of attention from a young lady.

The bottom line is, she was furious that he was taking another lady on vacation and if she couldn't have him no one else could. How she can claim 29 stab wounds, a slit throat, then throwing in a shot to the head were self defense is preposterous. I just hope we don't have people with the same dumbness sitting on this jury that they had in the Casey Anthony case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime