U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,788,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
what time is the hanging.
I thought we were all gonna meet up in the town square with our heaviest, jagged rock?....

Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 PM

25,885 posts, read 39,178,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Inmates in the jail where Jodi is (and throughout the county) are fed twice daily. ARIAS has a court order to have 2,600 calories daily. Whether or not she is eating the food, I wouldn't know. Some say she appears to be losing weight, but I've not seen hard evidence on that observation.

What the Sheriff's office did was split her breakfast so part could be eaten in the a.m., part at a lunch break and then she gets her regular dinner.

My understanding is her attorneys and others cannot provide food for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

The headache issue - first I don't know that there is proof she has Migraines or not. Migraines can be disabling. I'm surprised she hasn't had one earlier in the trial, given how long she was on the witness stand. I'd certainly believe she has a tension headache at this point.

Certain foods can trigger Migraines; however, if she truly does have them and perhaps is even on a medication to prevent them, her provider would have documented all of that info in her medical records, potentially prohibiting she eat certain foods. As for how a low glucose level connects with her "Migraines," I can't say I understand that one in the least. That's not how Migraines present.

It seems like a stretch to me, but only those with her medical records would know the truth, of what her providers have observed and treated her h/as. I wouldn't rely strictly on her verbal history of her h/as.

I hope that helps.

MSR
You nailed it...I heard it exactly as yo describe it.

The migraines are IMO more because of the ending in view and even for a killer it might be scary that you can hear that 12 jurors don't believe you and that you can get the death penalty and no more fun with other girls in prison ad bye to her new jail house girl friend...

2600 calories is not so bad since many people who want to loose weight want to eat less and Jodi clearly wantsto look good on camera so she probably hates it that she can't put on more make up and is wearing the ugly glasses.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,162,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Martinez better watch it with this woman. She knows her biscuits.
CamaroGuy,

I think Alyce LV relates her practice experiences well. That would be one reason she teaches police officers to be expert witnesses like herself.

I agree she teaches about the cases in DV in which she's served as a therapist or closely associated role. While she started to attempt to apply this to T.A. today (and Arias), we don't know how well she can take her own practice experiences and prove Arias was a victim.

I also agree that Martinez will give a lot of thought how he approaches this witness. She could turn out to be one of his best witnesses in the case against Arias.

One of the legal eagles sites tipped me off to this. (I looked at Amazon simply because it was easier - it's probably available elsewhere).
I find it very interesting the release date of this book, co-written by ALV and the price. Hardbound - $106.00.
"It Could Happen to Anyone: Why Battered Women Stay" by Alyce D. LaViolette and Ola W. Barnett (Apr 23, 2013)

I think it's extra factors like this - of when her co-written book about her practice experiences are released that make many of us wonder more about why the person accepted the job as an expert witness. Why not release it in the summer or fall and avoid such a direct connection.

It will be interesting (and progress to the end of this marathon trial) when J. M. starts to question ALV. I'm sure she'll be reminded her opinions were based on what ARIAS told her and few believe ARIAS tells the truth consistently. Just saying she, too, is going to have to be very careful as all her conclusions were based on interviews with someone known to change her story a lot.

Good post - sorry I can't rep you. I can't rep anyone right now or I would have.

MSR

Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,828,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

It will be interesting (and progress to the end of this marathon trial) when J. M. starts to question ALV. I'm sure she'll be reminded her opinions were based on what ARIAS told her and few believe ARIAS tells the truth consistently. Just saying she, too, is going to have to be very careful as all her conclusions were based on interviews with someone known to change her story a lot.

MSR
Last night I heard that she is also basing her findings on the texts and emails between Jodi and Travis. What I find amazing is that she is allowed to pick and choose (and interpret) those things BUT the JURY will not be allowed to see those same texts and emails!?!?!?!

I don't understand that. If these things are being used as evidence, the jury should be able to see them all, not just redacted versions...

Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
Ex ellent point FoxTerrier, a lot of things I write, if "edited", could be taken out of context.

Well, there goes something into the file for her appeal.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,698,244 times
Anyone know of a website where I could watch the testimony portion of the domestic violence expert witness from this week? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JanND; 03-29-2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM

3,904 posts, read 6,200,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Anyone know of a website where I could watch the testimony portion of the domestic violence expert witness from this week? Thanks in advance.
You could try Jodi Arias Is Innocent .com - The #1 Jodi Arias Support site! Jodi Arias trial. Jodi Arias News. Jodi Arias pics.. That's her support site. I've checked it out a few times. Don't agree with a lot of the postings there but we all have 1st Amendment rights in this nation.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Last night I heard that she is also basing her findings on the texts and emails between Jodi and Travis. What I find amazing is that she is allowed to pick and choose (and interpret) those things BUT the JURY will not be allowed to see those same texts and emails!?!?!?!

I don't understand that. If these things are being used as evidence, the jury should be able to see them all, not just redacted versions...
Fox Terrier,

I agree with both you and Jasper. I guess this is where I've got to go back to one of those legal forums to try to learn more. Perhaps she can claim as an "expert witness" she has the background to decide which texts/emails are important. There is no guarantee another expert would pick the same emails as important, especially if they aren't be paid $300.00/hr. by the DT and have a new book coming out in 3 weeks ............... But, I agree with you, even if she can select the texts/emails, how come the jury can't review them too? I don't understand how that is fair to anyone.

I wonder if the jury can ask to see them, as one of their questions? LOL.. I hope there aren't pics

Additionally, there is the fact that ARIAS broke into T.A.'s email and phone accounts. She could have sent texts or emails to herself using his email acct.

There are other key pieces of evidence the jury can't see. I just barely saw this last night and need to research it further to even know what I'm referencing. I do know it was of evidence the prosecution was forbidden to use. Something about someone either seeing the gun in ARIAS' car, in CA pre-trip, or similar. It was an observation by someone or more than one person of what was in the car while ARIAS was still in CA.

MSR

Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
JanND,

I'd just go to YOUTUBE and write ALV's name and the dates court was in session this week. Many are posting on YouTube. She told her experience of her work in DV for about 3 days so it won't be a quick watch.

MSR

Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
I am extremely empathetic to men and women trapped in abusive relationships, but I get frustrated when this is used as a defense of choice, when this case does not appear to me to meet that criteria. It negates true victims of domestic violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime