U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM

9,151 posts, read 7,239,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Jodie is such a textbook example of BPD.

Borderline personality disorder: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

"They see things as black and white, and can go into a rage over the slightest misunderstanding".
Did you read the risk factors? Maybe her stories about her childhood are true after all.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,209,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Did you read the risk factors? Maybe her stories about her childhood are true after all.
Possibly. I do think she's guilty but I do not think she deserves the death penalty.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,788,273 times
Quote:
My opinion on the risk factors....people with BPD lie. And they also invent things in their head, completely separate from what actually happened. Spanked once as a child is dramatized to the point of horrific and ongoing sexual abuse. So, I take that with a grain of salt.

It is interesting to listen to women who are incarcerated, they have a "can you top this" drama story of abuse. The difference I noted, is the ones who were most severely abused, are the ones who rarely speak about it. And if they do, it is not part of the "can you top this", it is usually very chilling, in clinical detail with an affect of detachment.

But, not everything can be generalized. Different people react differently to things. Who knows? Maybe she was abused. But that is not a pass for murder.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,321,799 times
Quote:
I'm too lazy to go back and find posts, but I recall several of you saying how inexperienced and naive Travis was, and that he was "lured" into temptation by Jodi.

Didn't I hear there was a woman who came forward and told police to look at her husband for his murder, because he had found out she had been having an affair with Travis?

Doesn't sound very inexperienced to me, if true. Sounds like he was completely complicit and possibly the aggressor. I admit I haven't been hanging on every detail of this case and there are a lot of lies being told on both sides, but I don't think this is one of them.

And if one married woman came forward, how many others were there whose husbands hadn't found out so they didn't out themselves?

Edited to Add: I'm in no way saying that he deserved to die at all. Just making the point that he wasn't all innocence and sunshine lured into sin by a modern-day Eve.

Perhaps he was inexperienced ... not one person has been called to testify except Arias about Travis Alexander's sexual expertise or experience. Perhaps he had only been doing the grinding until along comes the three hole wonder. She WAS experienced. She was in love starting at age 15 with Bobby Juarez, Victor, then back to Bobby, Matt, Darryl and had sex with all of them. After she killed Travis Alexander, she cleaned up and hit the road for her next 'hope to be husband' in Ryan Burns in Utah. Didn't they do the grinding ... she was just moving right along there. "Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly!"

Travis Alexander didn't even know what KY Jelly was ... we heard that on the telephone conversation that she recorded. Jodi introduced him to KY. I am not questioning Alexander's former sexual exploits he cannot tell us about them. But not many men will turn down kinky sex when the woman lays it out on the table, bed, floor, bathtub or car for him ... testosterone kicks in and all logic goes out the door.

Arias has no business whatsoever in Mesa that day ... but she was on a mission ... and she accomplished exactly what she set out to do.

We can argue this forever but it still comes down to one thing ... Travis Alexander is dead ... laying in the shower for days, shot, stabbed and throat slashed and no one deserves to die that way.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,847,667 times
Quote:

Didn't I hear there was a woman who came forward and told police to look at her husband for his murder, because he had found out she had been having an affair with Travis?
That woman recanted her story. She and her husband were fighting at the time and she was very mad at him, so she made up that story to give him some grief. (she sounds like another whacko)

Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,182,982 times
Quote:
Hi Lilly,

I've wondered about her stories about childhood abuse too. I can't say for sure given all her lies and "fog" at convenient times. There are things I can see that could easily could easily connect from her childhood to later behavior. To me, had her defense team STARTED there vs. changing her defense so many times, and focus on what she didn't do to get out of the cycle, maybe it would be a bit different in the trial currently, I'm not sure.

Like every other survivor of child physical/sexual/emotion and other abuse, as an adult, the adult has to commit to getting well so a dysfunctional past doesn't influence future choices. Some people chose to do that hard work in therapy and do improve, and some think it doesn't apply to them and don't.

I hope adults and even teens who are watching this trial at any level hear the message, if things aren't right at home, get help! DV, other family abuse etc. - get help now if things aren't right at home. Don't smooth it over one more time thinking one will always be able to get things back to an earlier level of functioning. There is no shame seeking counseling to overcome any impasse in life and making it a building block, not the stumbling stone.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-31-2013 at 12:05 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My opinion on the risk factors....people with BPD lie. And they also invent things in their head, completely separate from what actually happened. Spanked once as a child is dramatized to the point of horrific and ongoing sexual abuse. So, I take that with a grain of salt.

It is interesting to listen to women who are incarcerated, they have a "can you top this" drama story of abuse. The difference I noted, is the ones who were most severely abused, are the ones who rarely speak about it. And if they do, it is not part of the "can you top this", it is usually very chilling, in clinical detail with an affect of detachment.

But, not everything can be generalized. Different people react differently to things. Who knows? Maybe she was abused. But that is not a pass for murder.
I agree Jasper. Regardless of what one has experienced s/he has to make a choice of how to conduct his/her life as an adult.

True Borderlines are tough. Is there any evidence that ARIAS attempted to receive mental health counseling as an adult, let alone as a teen?

BTW - do anyone know if ARIAS attended college/tech school at all? It doesn't matter in one way, but in another it does as every college/tech school has a counseling service.

What I've asked myself so many times today as we are starting to hear details of that horrible, sickening crime of the 13 month old baby being shot by teens (in GA, I believe), is what would the comments about ARIAS be if she were a male on the witness stand?

MSR

P.S. As I was reading the other really great additional posts I realized something. Even if ARIAS didn't have the opportunity via a college/tech school, let alone private or public mental health agency to get help, once she was baptized a Mormon, she could have gone to her Bishop at anytime and asked for a referral to LDS Social Services. So Mental Health care was accessible to her. The question is, did she ask for it?

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-31-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
You're most welcome JanND! Arias definitely has ardent supporters at this site. Most of them are women and a few of them have been in abusive relationships. The feeling I got reading some of their post is that they want Jodi to walk no matter what!
CamaroGuy,

I couldn't agree more. I read a lot of posts on that site and as I posted earlier, I don't know how so many people can claim she's innocent when she admitted to killing him.

I do think you are also correct in your assessment of so many having been (or presently are) in abusive relationships, which has to color how they see this case.

There are some good points on that site and there are some very cherry-picked comments that quoted only partial quotes so key words aren't included.

Frankly, I'm glad I'm not on this jury for many reasons. While we all know the jury has NOT seen all the evidence and other things we have, in some ways I can't even imagine what that will be like for the jurors once this case is over and they learn more about what they couldn't see/hear in court.

I've always thought this case would be appealed, so I see ARIAS hanging out her attorneys much longer than she already has. I don't know if she can have new attorneys appointed if she is found guilty and sentenced to death or prison without parole, or not.

Part of me wonders if these lawyers have done a couple of the things they've done so others would have to take over if there was a mistrial or an appeal.

A lot to think about in this case. The one thing that doesn't change is the evidence at the crime scene and the stabs, slashed throat and bullet shot T. A. experienced due to ARIAS. That one photo showing her pant leg and foot is really creepy to me, partially because she's dragging his body.

MSR

Old 03-30-2013, 11:22 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,321,799 times
The defense team is throwing anything they can on the wall and just hopes at least one thing will stick with the jury ... childhood abuse ... yet she has slapped her mother and kicked her too ... the DT then goes with the pedophile ... then tried the PTSD to account for the fog ... he was going to attack her ... now they are trying physical/mental abuse.

As a teenager she quit school and moved out of her parents house. Even at 32 she still doesn't get along with her mother yet her mother is sitting in that courtroom each day. I just can't get past all the lies and drama with Arias. The two days of court canceled due to 'migraines' ... if she truly was suffering a migraine headache she wouldn't simply be sitting there. It could just be a tension headache if one is to believe her.

I have raised three children and they never laid a hand nor a foot on me in anger. LOL

Old 03-30-2013, 11:34 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,763,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

Borderlines are tough. Is there any evidence that ARIAS attempted to receive mental health counseling as an adult, let alone as a teen?

BTW - do anyone know if ARIAS attended college/tech school at all? It doesn't matter in one way, but in another it does as every college/tech school has a counseling service.
She is a high school dropout, she got her GED in jail.

I think counseling would not have helped this individual. She reads as a classic narcissistic sociopath to me. In all her time on the stand did she manage to eke out a single tear? She did "sob" once or twice with her hands covering her face. She has never shown remorse. She was perfectly calm when she visited Ryan Burns, not shaken in the least by the events of the previous day. Her behavior is always carefully controlled. She begged Detective Flores to show her the crime scene and/or autopsy photos (forget which). She comes alive when the camera is on her. If she did ever receive any type of counseling, it would probably only have served to teach her how to be even more manipulative, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime