Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
These are my opinions.....I feel the opposite. I think asking questions in a mocking way makes Martinez look like an egomaniac, and I believe his ongoing diatribes and mocking has/will sabotage his plan to get her convicted of murder in the first and his ultimate goal of a death penalty verdict.

How can you mock witnesses and take jibes and expect other things you say to hold the seriousness that this case requires. A death penalty verdict is taken very seriously. Prove or disprove the statements of witnesses. His ongoing jibes have probably offended many of the jurors on some level by now...Just look at the threads here....

Look at the juror getting thrown out....The other jurors take having to make this decision very seriously, and Martinez rants cause too much emotional response, detracts and takes the focus off the actual and factual evidence of both sides in a big way. She'll get second...
IMHO Juan Martinez firing questions (ongoing diatribes) at Dr. Samuels during the cross examination provided the jury with valuable info making one question Samuels ethics. This was evidenced by the number of questions the jury had for Samuels. The test/exam was based on lies Arias provided and Samuels made his diagnosis based upon the lies. Samuels didn't even bring to court the actual set of questions he used to test Arias. His explanation for not bringing the actual questions ... Samuel's said "it's not necessary he didn't feel it was important!!!!!" Here we are in a death penalty case and the doc doesn't feel it was necessary yet he arrives with a PTSD diagnosis. In Juan Martinez's own style ... ranting ... diatribes ... Juan allowed this jury to see and hear the other side of Samuel's exam ... as Paul Harvey would say ... the rest of the story.

Willmott smirks, giggles, smiles in this death penalty trial. In addition she verbally assists the witnesses with their answers and they smile at each other. This is so wrong too. If convicted Arias first appeal will be insufficient or ineffective counsel.

Juan might be a little large for life, but he has a passion for what he does. I respect that passion and this is the only voice Travis Alexander has in the courtroom. Defense witnesses, have NO problems answering yes or no with ease when their own team is asking them the questions.

After the coma-fest the jury endured from the defenses' direct examination of Arias, Samuels and Alyce LaViolette I am sure Juan Martinez wakes them up and they put their listening ears on.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
I think she'll get 1st DM without the DP. Life in prison is more apporpriate for her.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Good thinking Don. About the angle of the gunshot, that theory that she ordered him to sit down...that would fit...

Ok, devils advocate.....About the gas cans, , Jodi's California boyfriend did testify that she used gas cans before. It was for a camping trip. So she had a history of using them.
Maybe they did recover ammo from the grandfathers gun, and they didn't match up, that's why Juan didn't enter it into evidence.
Jodi's car wasn't very reliable. That's why she was buying Travis's BMW. She may have rented the car for for reliability and to be stealth. But maybe she was being sneaky, intending to spy/stalk Travis, not murder him.

She was with him for 8 hours, to turn on a dime and voraciously take him down would require a mental/emotional trigger. Jodi was a sociopath but she wasn't a trained assassin. This level of overkill would suggest crime of passion.
But she brought a gun with her. He didn't own a gun. It suggests pre-meditation.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:46 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
IMHO Juan Martinez firing questions (ongoing diatribes) at Dr. Samuels during the cross examination provided the jury with valuable info making one question Samuels ethics. This was evidenced by the number of questions the jury had for Samuels. The test/exam was based on lies Arias provided and Samuels made his diagnosis based upon the lies. Samuels didn't even bring to court the actual set of questions he used to test Arias. His explanation for not bringing the actual questions ... Samuel's said "it's not necessary he didn't feel it was important!!!!!" Here we are in a death penalty case and the doc doesn't feel it was necessary yet he arrives with a PTSD diagnosis. In Juan Martinez's own style ... ranting ... diatribes ... Juan allowed this jury to see and hear the other side of Samuel's exam ... as Paul Harvey would say ... the rest of the story.

Willmott smirks, giggles, smiles in this death penalty trial. In addition she verbally assists the witnesses with their answers and they smile at each other. This is so wrong too. If convicted Arias first appeal will be insufficient or ineffective counsel.

Juan might be a little large for life, but he has a passion for what he does. I respect that passion and this is the only voice Travis Alexander has in the courtroom. Defense witnesses, have NO problems answering yes or no with ease when their own team is asking them the questions.

After the coma-fest the jury endured from the defenses' direct examination of Arias, Samuels and Alyce LaViolette I am sure Juan Martinez wakes them up and they put their listening ears on.
Fantastic post...ITA.

For those that think Martinez isn't effective, go back and look at some of his old cases - Wendi Andriano, Scott Falater, Cory Deonn Morris, Doug Grant, Bryan Stewart. These were all fairly high profile with episodes on Dateline/48 Hours etc. All convicted. I don't know why some people assume the jurors are voting in some kind of popularity contest - but even if that was the case, and I give the jury more credit than that, there's FAR more support for Martinez than there is for Nurmi/Wilmott. He has been dealing with sociopaths throughout his career and he knows what he has to do to catch them in their lies, how to discredit phony witnesses and throw them off of their rehearsed scripts. When someone like LaViolette, who never met Travis, has no qualms about dragging the victim's name through the mud all in the name of a buck...he isn't going to go easy on her! Why would he? He is also fighting for Travis's family who have had to sit through months of the defense's lies, BS and victim-blaming.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
I think it's terrible they way they're dragging Travis's name through the mud. Most of his e-mails and IMs are understandable in light of the person he was dealing with.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
In Jodi's interrogation video Det. Flores said the grandfather's ammunition DID match.
Cops can and usually do lie during interrogations while trying to get the suspect to admit to something. If they could indeed prove the ammo matched, they probably would have brought an expert into court to tell the jury.

I haven't been watching the trial, so it's possible they did. Just saying, just because a det says something during an interrogation doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Cops can and usually do lie during interrogations while trying to get the suspect to admit to something. If they could indeed prove the ammo matched, they probably would have brought an expert into court to tell the jury.

I haven't been watching the trial, so it's possible they did. Just saying, just because a det says something during an interrogation doesn't necessarily mean it's true.
Good observation Lilly!

Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
That is probably true. Just like a cop will tell a suspect "We have all the facts, we just want to hear your side of the story." Just a technique to get the suspect off guard and thinking the cops already have the whole case in the bag. When he said "we have the bullets and they match" it sounded a little weak, like he was just throwing it up against the wall to see if it stuck.

Don

Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
Whether they found the bullets or not, it doesn't take a genius to look at the sequence of events and the caliber used to kill Travis and put two and two together. Even if you completely disregard every piece of evidence related to the gun, think about those stab wounds to his back and the slashed throat. In no way does self-defense excuse any of that. The knife would not have been upstairs to cut rope for sex play because there was no way she could have been tied up the way she claimed, and there was no rope in any of the photos. She had to have brought the knife herself, so it still shows premeditation.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:43 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Did anybody ... anyone present watch the bitter end of the trial on Thursday ... I mean after the judge dismissed the jury ... then dismissed the witness ... you have to watch this on the Arizona local TV stations not HLN. Arizona locals don't hang the Arizona sign on the monitor until Elvis leaves the building.

Court is DISMISSED ...courtroom is emptying ... the judge then asked the attorneys if they have anything else or something like that (she does that every day) .... Juan Martinez asked to speak to the judge ASAP ... Nurmi turned and said 'what I didn't hear that" ... Juan said "I have a matter to speak about" ... the judge said ok and pointed with her hand toward the door and told them to meet her in the hallway.

This is all true I heard every word of this ... except I just threw in Elvis leaving the building. Cause he's alive and well in WVA.

What was so important that Juan Martinez needed to speak to the judge ASAP????

He only had about 35-40 minutes on Thursday to question Alyce so he didn't get into the meaty part and threw out the Snow White to kill time until Monday when he can egomanically stomp Alyce.

So on Twitter I have picked up that Alyce LaViolette on her way out of court approached Samantha Alexander, Travis' sister (Sam) where she was still seated in that end seat in the courtroom. LaViolette said a few words to her as she was exiting the courtroom and did a shoulder shrug. This was immediately reported to Juan Martinez.

So Monday could be very interesting if that did happen.

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 04-07-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime