Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,474,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I don't think Arias deserves the DP. LOWP would be good enough for her considering the egomaniac she is.
Of course she does. Why wouldn't she deserve the death penalty? Is she too "pretty" to be given the death penalty? After all, she did murder a man and it was most likely premeditated. Not to mention that MANY men have been put to death with MUCH less evidence than there is against Jodi in this case.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,936,041 times
I feel bad for Travis Alexander's family ... reliving his murder over and over again. In addition to all the trash about Travis.

I feel bad for the jury too ... I just hope they can keep the actual facts straight due to the length of the trial and all the junk in some of the testimonies. I expect a quick verdict since they have been there so long. LOL At least we know there should be no reasonable doubt in this one.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,936,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Of course she does. Why wouldn't she deserve the death penalty? Is she too "pretty" to be given the death penalty? After all, she did murder a man and it was most likely premeditated. Not to mention that MANY men have been put to death with MUCH less evidence than there is against Jodi in this case.

Her artwork would go up in value if she gets the death penalty ... a dead artist's work brings in more money!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 PM

37 posts, read 46,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Can someone splain to me why the defense wants a mistrial?

Haven't 2 jurors who are thought to be sympathetic to the prosecution had to leave?

What makes them think a 2nd trial is more likely to turn out in Jodi's favor than this one?
The Defense Team comes in every day asking for a Mistrial. Juror #5 was dismissed but we won't know exactly why until after the verdict and she feels free to talk about it. Juror #11 was let go due to health issues. It was at his request.

This trial started on January 2, 2013. None of the jurors has called in, yet Stabby has gotten 3 migraines thus stopping court mid-day or having it cancelled all together and ALV also said she was sick and court was canceled for the rest of the day.

I've been interested in true crime and have followed trials dating back to CourtTv's inception and Betty Brodrick and the Menendez brothers. Jodi Stabby Arias is the worse kind of sociopath. What a waste of space. The 1.4 million or whatever amount is ridiculous as well. The State should have pulled the Death Penalty off and this case would have taken a month, she would have been found Guilty of Murder In the First and been thrown into a tiny, cold, smelly hole in the wall never to be seen or heard from again.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,395,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
A study in which jurors in long (more than 20 days) and short (1 to 6 days) federal trials (albeit civil rather than criminal) were interviewed found a number of disquieting differences. Jurors in the long trials were substantially more likely to be retired or unemployed and substantially less likely to have a college education. Nearly three-fourths of the jurors in the lengthy trials said the evidence was �difficult� or �very difficult� to understand, compared to 30 percent who reported the same in short trials. Of course the length of the trial might be correlated with the complexity of the evidence, and the latter might be the befuddling force. But this would not adequately explain why twice as many jurors in long than in short trials reported their attention wandering during the presentation of evidence either �occasionally� or �quite a lot,� and why more than twice as many (amounting to almost half of all the jurors who were interviewed) found it difficult or very difficult to understand how they were supposed to reach a verdict. Joe S. Cecil et al., Jury Service in Lengthy Civil Trials 1, 9, 11�13, 28
Long jury trials - PointOfLaw Forum
Interesting, Mitram ----Thanks for posting it. My iPhone keeps auto-correcting so if your name is wrong again it's the phone not me.

No offense to anyone and their ages. I, too, had read years ago the long trials tended to draw the retired population for many understandable reasons. While one never knows who is working or not my understanding is this jury has several in their 30-40s. I can't remember for sure but I think it was Carolina Woman who posted some demographics about them.

I hope when this marathon is over the jurors will tell us what they thought of the attorneys and experts.

I've almost seen none of this rebuttal psychologist but am impressed with what I've seen. She didn't leave notes or scores home like good old Samuels. We discussed here many weeks ago about whether ARIAS was a borderline PD. I believe it was Jasper who brought that point up. I didn't disagree but to make the diagnosis more of the client's life or records have to be available. IMHO, this witness nailed it and she would have access to additional info.

I read in a summary that Willmott asked why she didn't administer the same tests Samuels did. Her response was they weren't needed.

She administered an MMPI - - I truly wonder how clueless Willmott is about psychiatric issues. Who would go to McDonald's for burger after having just eaten Filet Mignon? Why give a sideline test that won't yield anything new and wastes time. When I read what Willmott said next it was evident no one is coaching her about the gold standard tests. Maybe Samuels quit when he found ALV got paid more or he doesn't understand the MMPI and Milan very well.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 AM

44,569 posts, read 61,354,897 times
Quote Lorelilly: Juror #5 was dismissed but we won't know exactly why until after the verdict and she feels free to talk about it. Unquote.

One of the local TV news outlets said that she told them that she was dismissed because when the jurrors were walking back to the jury room in the hallway she made a derogatory statement about one of the pro witnesses that was on the stand that day and someone from the defense team overheard it.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,395,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelilly View Post
The Defense Team comes in every day asking for a Mistrial. Juror #5 was dismissed but we won't know exactly why until after the verdict and she feels free to talk about it. Juror #11 was let go due to health issues. It was at his request.

This trial started on January 2, 2013. None of the jurors has called in, yet Stabby has gotten 3 migraines thus stopping court mid-day or having it cancelled all together and ALV also said she was sick and court was canceled for the rest of the day.

I've been interested in true crime and have followed trials dating back to CourtTv's inception and Betty Brodrick and the Menendez brothers. Jodi Stabby Arias is the worse kind of sociopath. What a waste of space. The 1.4 million or whatever amount is ridiculous as well. The State should have pulled the Death Penalty off and this case would have taken a month, she would have been found Guilty of Murder In the First and been thrown into a tiny, cold, smelly hole in the wall never to be seen or heard from again.
Lorelilly,

"Stabby" is a unique but very descriptive way to remember the case. Not to sound cold or anything like that but just trying to remember if Ron Goldman and Nicole Simpson had a total of 29 stabs combined? I think part is some of the evidence the state can't use and another part is ARIAS used 3 different ways to kill him so the State had criteria for death penalty case.

To those who argue a crime of passion I don't recall past convicted "passion" killers using various ways to kill one person in about a minute.

And I think IF ARIAS truly has migraines they better increase her doses of prophylactic or start one if she isn't on one. She doesn't present as most migraine pts. do, but it is possible it was stressful for her to have the sharp psychologist on the stand saying she didn't have either PTSD or "Battered Woman's Syndrome.". I guess that could produce a migraine. She surely could have tension h/a's. My gut tells Willmott is getting tension h/as. Who knows, who really has the worst h/a of those two.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,746,205 times
That is the point all of us and the jury have to keep foremost in our minds................Travis was not only shot but stabbed 29 times PLUS his throat was slit from ear to ear. Pure and simple that is overkill caused by rage, not defensive wounds that a person would inflict on someone they were trying to get away from. Jodi tore into Travis with everything she had and slaughtered him.

All of the other fluff that the defense team has tossed in to muddy the water really means nothing. Even if she were an abused woman the shot alone or maybe a stab wound or two would have done it and allowed her to run for the door. The only thing Jodi left out of that whole attack was running over Travis with her car a couple of times, and I bet she would have done that if she could have gotten the car up the stairs. She was punishing Travis and went to extraordinary lengths to do it.

Don

Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,333,079 times
I am usually against the death penalty. I just don't think life without parole would be much punishment for her. She loves to manipulate people and she is a sociopath...don't they blend in well in any sort of environment? I just see her with a bunch of girlfriends in prison being the prison B***ch and everyone of the inmates wowed by her. Wheras if she got the death Penalty she would sit in a cell for 23 hours a day and could not manilpulate and talk about herself to everyone! Seriously as long as it is not 2nd which Vinnie P. says she will be out by the time she is 40...! As long as it's not that I guess I will be satisfied. I do feel sorry for Travis family. I could not imagine sitting in the same room with the person who killed my brother then listen to her lies.Just heartbreaking.

Last edited by snowchaser2002; 04-21-2013 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,126,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I really like this witness. She is smart, confident, and won't be intimidated by the defense. Yes, she is young but she also has accomplished a lot and is evidently very good at her profession. So nice to see an intelligent witness for a change who is only trying to give a professional opinion based on her experience and training.

What the heck is Jodi drawing in that notebook ? What ever it is they better give her a bigger eraser because she keeps erasing stuff and starting over. Maybe she is doing the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle............after all, she is an Einstein.

Could Nancy Grace be any more annoying than she is ? She is so full of herself, and if it wasn't for catching maybe a snippet of information about the trial I wouldn't even watch her. But when she starts being rude with one of her guests I can't hit the remote fast enough.

Don
An expert witness hired by either side is looking specifically for what is needed by that side. They are being compensated.
I personally only saw a bit of the testimony by the prosecution witness. I've been reviewing some online webpages about her testimony. Seems like she didn't have as much experience in testing and assessment. One test does not a diagnosis make, seems like she based a lot of her "expert diagnosis" on the MMPI. It may have been more beneficial if she'd also re-tested using the same tests as the defenses experts assessment/test tools. Not sure I was impressed by her testimony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime