Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,460 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I love America and have done for a long time (I am British) but every time I look on American news websites it seems people are being shot, escaped convicts are at large, or banks are being held up. And this is just national news, I don't know how much is happening that I'm not seeing.

Please don't see this post as an insult. I think there are so many more great things than bad, I've visited myself, and one day I would like to move to America. The problem is that I find myself worried about crime. Especially coming from the UK where it seems there is next to none.

I'm curious to find out what American's think about it. Is the media just trying to scare everyone? Have you ever thought about moving away because of it?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 PM

26,974 posts, read 43,486,513 times
Violent Crime has actually been on the decline in the US and much of what you allude to is in fact media sensationalism. I have in fact considered moving to another country, but not because of the crime aspect. It has to do with the increasing conservatism and separatism being created by the pro-Tea Party types who are intent seemingly on sabotaging the country. It's really sad to see how it has divided this country.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:15 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,927,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John768 View Post
Hi there.

I love America and have done for a long time (I am British) but every time I look on American news websites it seems people are being shot, escaped convicts are at large, or banks are being held up. And this is just national news, I don't know how much is happening that I'm not seeing.

Please don't see this post as an insult. I think there are so many more great things than bad, I've visited myself, and one day I would like to move to America. The problem is that I find myself worried about crime. Especially coming from the UK where it seems there is next to none.

I'm curious to find out what American's think about it. Is the media just trying to scare everyone? Have you ever thought about moving away because of it?
Yes, in short, I think the media sensationalizes certain violent crimes and gun violence in particular--we always need a moral panic (and coming from the UK and all, I might think you know a thing or two about that).

Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM

510 posts, read 902,076 times
John, I do understand where you are coming from. I am Italian and my husband is Scottish (we met when we were both studying in London). I think the media unfair portrays America as a dangerous place. My perception after living in the UK and in several U.S. cities is that the U.S. actually feels safer in some ways. Although there are a lot more guns here the violence is less likely to be random here. It is often contained to certain communities whereas after the pubs close in London anything is fair game. I am not saying it is okay the crime is community specific at all, just that it seems easier to avoid. I actually know more people who have experienced aggression in the UK (granted, not life-threatening, but assaults) than I do in the U.S.
As an earlier poster mentioned, violent crime here has been going down since 200 as well.
Again, this is just my 10 pence on the subject. This country does have its social problems (as all do)but it is a great place to live. Come on over if you can!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,209,963 times
Wow, some dueling trolls here. Aside from that remember, we are the third largest behind India and china respectively. Brazil is 4th or 5th. Way more crime there and let's not speak about corruption and crime in the top two!

We are 315 million and growing. We are going to clip a few. But, the amazing stat is that as armed as we are, we aren't killing wholesale. God knows we have the tools to do it but, we hold those impulses in check and save them for the middle east.

I often wonder how OTHER countries wouldn fare if THEY had our tools?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 PM

255 posts, read 401,266 times
Quote:
Hi there.

I know by none that you actually mean very little, but that is still absurd. The UK has its share of crime problems. I'd much rather walk alone in Compton at night than I would through some of the tougher neighborhoods of Glasgow or Manchester.

American media is driven by sensationalism. It's much like the UK tabloid press. Your television media is very good though. The BBC isn't driven by sensationalism. Neither is ITV.

Also, America has a lot of gun crime and gun crimes tend to be sensationalized more.

Then there is the illegal immigrant problem in many U.S cities. Neighborhoods with high illegal immigrant populations have higher rates of crime. It's not because illegal immigrants commit more crimes- they don't. In fact, they are less likely to commit crimes than legal immigrants. But they don't report crime because of fear of the police and getting reported. So criminals who would normally get reported go un-reported and neighborhoods become more and more dangerous.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,153,359 times
Britain has relatively low levels of serious violent crime

BBC News - UK Peace Index highlights rate of fall in violent crime

There is only one homicide per 100,000 in the UK, and London a City of 8.3 million only had 104 homicides in the last 12 months and the majority of those were domestic violence offences where the victim knew the attacker.

Metropolitan Police Service - Crime Figures

Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 PM

255 posts, read 401,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Britain has relatively low levels of serious violent crime

BBC News - UK Peace Index highlights rate of fall in violent crime

There is only one homicide per 100,000 in the UK, and London a City of 8.3 million only had 104 homicides in the last 12 months and the majority of those were domestic violence offences where the victim knew the attacker.

Metropolitan Police Service - Crime Figures
How many "Chelsea Smiles" during that time period?

I've lived in Glasgow, Scotland and currently live in LA(born and raised). LA has a much higher violent crime rate (most of it gang related) It's kind of funny the differences in criminals though. In LA you have to watch out for thug types and transients. In Glasgow, avoid white kids in tracksuits and baseball caps.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,610,685 times
Quote:
Hi there.

Yeah, we have. Scotland actually.

Despite both of us serving in our military, we are sickened by the corruption and decay of this country.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:18 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,153,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
How many "Chelsea Smiles" during that time period?
I hardly think Grevious Bodily Harm is common

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9
I've lived in Glasgow, Scotland and currently live in LA(born and raised). LA has a much higher violent crime rate (most of it gang related) It's kind of funny the differences in criminals though. In LA you have to watch out for thug types and transients. In Glasgow, avoid white kids in tracksuits and baseball caps.
Glasgow isn't a bad city, it's rates of violence are usually alcohol related and often low level. The Crime Figures in the UK tend to record a lot of low level violence (misdemeanors) and violence than results in no injury what so ever.

Last edited by Bamford; 02-18-2014 at 05:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.