U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM

5,278 posts, read 3,501,816 times

Advertisements

My aunt once had a plumber in her home during the day down in the suburb of Indianapolis where they lived at the time. She was home alone. The work to be done was in the basement. She took him downstairs when, after talking a bit, he told her, "Something could happen to you down here and no one would hear you scream." My aunt instantly said, "Oh, I can scream really loud and someone would hear me." Nothing happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,547,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
My aunt once had a plumber in her home during the day down in the suburb of Indianapolis where they lived at the time. She was home alone. The work to be done was in the basement. She took him downstairs when, after talking a bit, he told her, "Something could happen to you down here and no one would hear you scream." My aunt instantly said, "Oh, I can scream really loud and someone would hear me." Nothing happened.
Wow, creepy!!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,141,914 times
These things do not need to happen. A slightly different mindset would have saved the day. When I talk to women about safety I am often told they feel safe. But when I examine their situation at a specific time point I can find no reason a person would feel or expect safety. So I suggest first be armed, be effective and trained, be alert, be knowledgeable, be reserved, be situation aware, and be nice. If you do not like someone's work just pay them off and get someone else. You do not want them to put a lien on your property anyway. Then just move on. In the long run it really is so much better and ofter more cost effective, everything considered.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM

5,278 posts, read 3,501,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Wow, creepy!!!!
Unfortunately, something similar happened to her daughter, my cousin, some years before. They were vacationing on Mackinac Island. My cousin went out on a hike with a young man she had met. They were hiking on the cliffs around the island. They were walking over some narrow boards that rest on the cliffs when he remarked that he could shove her off and no one would ever know what happened. I asked her if he was kidding around and she said that he was not kidding. Needless to say that this was the last time she ever hung out with him. I guess it runs in the family.

I've known some spooky people, including one who basically met the entire serial killer checklist, but I've never had somebody threaten me in these ways. I guess this type of behavior is usually directed at women.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,756,753 times
This occurs often to elderly or disabled people, especially in Florida. A person will have some work done on their home, and "coincidentally" have a home invasion within a month or so...happened to several people I know personally.

My opinion, having work done on a home is not a time to save money and call some random person in the want ads...or pick up a panhandler (As Elizabeth Smart 's Mother did). I go with a licensed, bonded agency. If the guy seems "creepy" to me, forget it. Many companies send out a team, a plumber and a helper, for protection from liability.

As a single female, I have had workers come to my home, usually a referral from folks at my church. No problems.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,036,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I would bet huge amounts of money that he is just completely lying about having an argument with this woman, or that she berated him. That is text-book blame-the-victim/rationalization - very, very, very, very common for men who assault and rape women. Most likely what happened is he came onto her and she rejected him and he flew into a rage and killed her.
I'd tend to agree, but I do have personally knowledge that always makes me wonder in these types of cases. I use to flip houses and I always hired this same dumpster company when doing demo work on my houses. The same guy use to always do the dumpster deliveries and pickups. I got to know him pretty well and he always thanked me for treating him well. He said that some customers were really nasty to him, and the worst were wealthy types, usually doctors. He said several times he had wealthy customers verbally abuse him over trivial matters and it really seemed to bother him. Not that it ever excuses what this murdered did, but I also find it disturbing that certain people belittle or abuse people because they think they're above them.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,547,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
He said that some customers were really nasty to him, and the worst were wealthy types, usually doctors. He said several times he had wealthy customers verbally abuse him over trivial matters and it really seemed to bother him. Not that it ever excuses what this murdered did, but I also find it disturbing that certain people belittle or abuse people because they think they're above them.
I'm sorry, but I would have no sympathy for someone whose reaction to being verbally belittled is to murder someone and then set them on fire to destroy evidence.

I also believe 100% that he is lying about having some sort of argument with her. Him saying that provides a rationalization for him in his own mind. Given that he confessed pretty quickly, I am guessing he does feel some remorse. Assuming he has a bit of remorse, it would make even more sense that he would need to create a story that softens the hard facts of the situation, both to himself and to everyone else.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 AM

6,413 posts, read 10,401,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'd tend to agree, but I do have personally knowledge that always makes me wonder in these types of cases. I use to flip houses and I always hired this same dumpster company when doing demo work on my houses. The same guy use to always do the dumpster deliveries and pickups. I got to know him pretty well and he always thanked me for treating him well. He said that some customers were really nasty to him, and the worst were wealthy types, usually doctors. He said several times he had wealthy customers verbally abuse him over trivial matters and it really seemed to bother him. Not that it ever excuses what this murdered did, but I also find it disturbing that certain people belittle or abuse people because they think they're above them.
I'm sorry, but welcome to the world of service jobs. Customers are rude. But to even hint that something even in the neighborhood of a reasonable reaction to someone being rude to a worker is for that worker to beat a woman, strangle her to death, and set the corpse on fire is abhorrent. She was rude to him? Boo hoo. A half-way reasonable person would simply walk out and leave her with whatever problem they went there to fix.

In this case? He had no record? Well, that more likely just means he's never been caught before.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 AM

15,813 posts, read 15,051,405 times
In the Polly Klaas case, wasn't the man who abducted her someone who had also done work on her mother's home? He therefore was somewhat familiar with the inside of the house and where Polly's bedroom was. Really awful.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,157,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
In the Polly Klaas case, wasn't the man who abducted her someone who had also done work on her mother's home? He therefore was somewhat familiar with the inside of the house and where Polly's bedroom was. Really awful.
The man who kidnapped Elizabeth Smart had also done work around their home. I think he was a man who had been holding one of those signs saying he would work for food or something along that line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime