U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:34 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,835,851 times

Advertisements

My husband travels a great deal and I worry about this all the time. We've only had one emergency which had to be handled immediately and I used a worker a neighbor highly recommended.

Our HOA has an unwritten agreement that whenever anybody is going door to door in our neighborhood, we post immediately on the list serve who they are, what they look like, license plate number and description of car they are in, etc. This gives me a great deal of comfort. Also the first person who encounters such canvassers or solicitors informs them that the entire neighborhood will be made aware of their presence and that most folks will ignore them. This alone has cut down extremely this kind of business. I live pretty deep into the neighborhood so rarely will anybody continue with their visit in our neighborhood. But just in case i tie up my dog on the front porch next to the No Solicitors sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 33,519,076 times
I've been in this position many MANY times since I've always been in charge of the household stuff. A few times I did get a weird vibe from someone and probably have taken way more chances than I should have (riding in cars with contractors to look at things, etc.) but every time I felt weird I got more safety minded. Fortunately I had the opportunity to learn, some don't get the chance. These days I try to have someone at the house with me but it's not always possible so I usually leave the garage door and front door open and busy myself there, in view of the public, while work is being done. I hate it, but sometimes you just have to do things.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,835,851 times
I've been known to holler to an empty upstairs"It's OK Bob, I'm taking care of it. I'll call you if I need you."

When I was helping my mother move across the country the movingvan driver just picked up some day laborers on a corner. They looked very sketchy and I was very uncomfortable around them. My widowed mother was moving into a nice and big house by herself and when these laborers started asking questions like "Is you Mama going to be living here by herself?" I immediately answered "No my brother and his family will be moving here with her in a few hours. He's on the police force here in town and he would never let her live by herself. Right now he's out on the firing range doing a little practice shooting." The kid's eyes almost popped out of his head. She never had any problems.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:51 PM

3,427 posts, read 3,980,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Maybe this is a huge "niche" for some savvy women. "Women Handy "men"". I would prefer female electrician s and plumbers if I had a choice. And an all female crew for yard work too.

The issue there though....would women be safe going to a strange man's house to do work alone?
I would like to see the above mentioned females only provide service to other females, ala "Females for Females Handy Services". If I was in this line, I definitely would not go on service calls for men unless it was a two or more worker job. Let the male service providers provide service for men. The problem (?) is that handy "man" services are still mainly a male dominated field. Plumbers, electricians, yard work, home repairs, etc.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 AM

892 posts, read 1,598,737 times
/

Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 AM

892 posts, read 1,598,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I would like to see the above mentioned females only provide service to other females, ala "Females for Females Handy Services"c.
Ya then the husbands will magically appear to be home

Old 06-08-2013, 04:31 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,547,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Our HOA has an unwritten agreement that whenever anybody is going door to door in our neighborhood, we post immediately on the list serve who they are, what they look like, license plate number and description of car they are in, etc. This gives me a great deal of comfort. Also the first person who encounters such canvassers or solicitors informs them that the entire neighborhood will be made aware of their presence and that most folks will ignore them. .
This seems like a good policy.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,547,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I would like to see the above mentioned females only provide service to other females, ala "Females for Females Handy Services". If I was in this line, I definitely would not go on service calls for men unless it was a two or more worker job. Let the male service providers provide service for men. The problem (?) is that handy "man" services are still mainly a male dominated field. Plumbers, electricians, yard work, home repairs, etc.
I was able to find a female-only interior painting service. I hired her to paint some rooms in my home. She had a full-time job and did the painting on the side. She said there was a lot of demand for her services.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 AM

2,683 posts, read 3,420,494 times
There was a very sad case near where I was living at the time. A customer was murdered by a cable installer after an argument over a modem:

Cable installer indicted in woman's slaying - Comcast HSI | DSLReports Forums

Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,200,149 times
I am an electrician. The few female electricians I have known were as tough as any men, one more so. I would not try to fight any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime