U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,481,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
You don't see Christians killing Christians. Christians are inspired by a non violent Jesus.

Get out there and talk to young people and ask 100 random students who they want to be like. It's the Defense Department inspired shooter CoD games and ads to make kids want to be shooter friendly soldiers (not knowing the effect many soldiers have when they return), it's punching and kicking spiderman and batman, and it's to be like 50 cent for the street culture. I work with the youth population and I'll tell you many kids like violence and football and wrestling.

We've always had mental health issues in this world, so the justification it's less mental health facilities is crap.

Gun production, easy access to guns, and media influence is this nation's cause of violence. Why not make some people rent guns and have require people to go through vigorous tests to get a gun? We have a lengthy process to drive cars and cars could be used to kill, but we make sure people who would kill using a car aren't driving.

Media has an influence and the darkness in this world will continue until people decide to wake up.
What? Christians don't kill Christians? What planet are you living on? How do you define 'Christian', anyway? Lots of murders in the bible belt, last I looked.

Young men are drawn to violent and active sports. Isn't aggression linked to testosterone? Maybe we should just abort boy babies.

It is not 'crap' as you so charmingly put it, that we have very little of a public safety net for troubled children. Mothers of these children have been pleading for help for a very long time. Just the other day there was a story of one kid pushing another off a five story roof. Sick minds will find a way.

Much of the gun violence that we hear of are from guns purchased by people other than the perp. All the regulations people want to impose upon gun ownership would do little to actually stop gun violence.

One thing that the anti gun crowd does not mention which might help a great deal is that capability to personalize a gun. Guns can be rigged so that only the purchaser can fire them. That actually might be of some practical use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 05:09 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,893,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
What? Christians don't kill Christians? What planet are you living on? How do you define 'Christian', anyway? Lots of murders in the bible belt, last I looked.
That's bad logic. Christian is by definition a follower of Jesus or some one trying to be like Jesus, and just because some region has the term "Bible Belt" doesn't mean anything because it's just an area like any other and it doesn't say anything about the murderers.

Young men are drawn to violent and active sports. Isn't aggression linked to testosterone? Maybe we should just abort boy babies.

Yes, violence is prone in men, but also look at the patrilineal society we live in. We are are encouraging young men to be violent and telling them emotions are bad and turning them into violent machines.

It is not 'crap' as you so charmingly put it, that we have very little of a public safety net for troubled children. Mothers of these children have been pleading for help for a very long time. Just the other day there was a story of one kid pushing another off a five story roof. Sick minds will find a way.

Much of the gun violence that we hear of are from guns purchased by people other than the perp. All the regulations people want to impose upon gun ownership would do little to actually stop gun violence.

One thing that the anti gun crowd does not mention which might help a great deal is that capability to personalize a gun. Guns can be rigged so that only the purchaser can fire them. That actually might be of some practical use.

I agree making it so only gun purchasers can use their gun is a smart idea. But what we do with all those guns already out there? I still think we need to make the process of getting a gun a little longer and two tests required like if you were to get your driving license.
i see you didn't agree with anything i said I leave you with what I wrote in bold.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,973,252 times
I think what people must realize is that there are so many unusual ways inwhich a mind might work that somethings is scary. I read many years ago about this murder where a man who was listening to his preacher thought that the preacher was telling him personally that he was going to meet his wife with a biblical name(I forgot what name it was) and if he didn't meet his wife by a certain date that the preacher was the agent of the devil and would have to be shot. The man didn't meet his wife by that certain date in the guys head so went into the preachers office one day and shot him dead. That really happened. So one never knows how anything might be interpreted by someone. Its scary sometimes.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,349,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I think what people must realize is that there are so many unusual ways inwhich a mind might work that somethings is scary. I read many years ago about this murder where a man who was listening to his preacher thought that the preacher was telling him personally that he was going to meet his wife with a biblical name(I forgot what name it was) and if he didn't meet his wife by a certain date that the preacher was the agent of the devil and would have to be shot. The man didn't meet his wife by that certain date in the guys head so went into the preachers office one day and shot him dead. That really happened. So one never knows how anything might be interpreted by someone. Its scary sometimes.
Exactly. Exactly. One real problem is that we try to make ourselves feel better about this by saying that the dangerous people can be identified and stopped ahead of time, but sometimes -- like people who are planning suicide -- there simply are no signs. They are thinking terrible things but they are keeping it all to themselves.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,841,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. And the sad thing is it'll get the good townspeople out there with their torches and pitchforks, wanting to trap Rob Zombie in a burning windmill to SAVE THE CHILDREN.
heh heh heh heh. no doubt. i am glad that the consensus on this thread is that movies don't kill people, people with bad ideas kill people. and then they say they saw it in a movie first, so he is not only a murderer, he is completely unoriginal on top of it all.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Exactly. Exactly. One real problem is that we try to make ourselves feel better about this by saying that the dangerous people can be identified and stopped ahead of time, but sometimes -- like people who are planning suicide -- there simply are no signs. They are thinking terrible things but they are keeping it all to themselves.
There is nothing at all wrong with being anti social or shy, but although we might not like to admit it, we judge ourselves a whole lot by the feedback that the outside world gives us. People who have little contact with other or who have a problem sharing their feelings can run into problems. Their thinking can get peculiar. Of course, I'll bet some of our most treasured philosophers and innovators were this type of person.

I think, if I heard someone mouthing off about doing flaky things, I would not know what to do for them. Unless they were directly threatening someone, where would you go? Even if they did voice a threat it would be very easy to just pass over the comment as a passing thing.

To me, just the fact that lots of people play video games and see violent movies and harm none indicate that these things don't cause violence. There is something wrong with the people themselves who respond to these things as though they were reality. I do think a lot of times that sex and violence in the media are tools to cover up the fact that the writers have few good ideas.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM

147 posts, read 188,991 times
Apparently this movie set the norm for what is socially acceptable in his mindsphere.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easherly View Post
Apparently this movie set the norm for what is socially acceptable in his mindsphere.
Yes. We don't have a good mental health intercession programs in the country. We just tend to react after the fact, after many people are hurt or dead. Parents often note that their children are having problems but often they have little recourse to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime