U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,055,307 times

Advertisements

What crime did he commit?

Anyone who would pay $1,000 for the benefit of staying 3 nights a year ata hotel for the rest of their lives without verifying that such a hotel actually exists is a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 04:31 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,492,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I can't believe there is still a spot on television for reruns of their show...
Does anyone get royalties from that?

Old 05-19-2013, 02:50 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,917,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Does anyone get royalties from that?
Perhaps the IRS....Couldn't find anything online.

Here's his current scam.

Televangelist Jim Bakker now selling ENEMA KITS and apocalyptic survivalist gear to pay IRS | Mail Online

Old 05-19-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

Here's his current scam.

Televangelist Jim Bakker now selling ENEMA KITS and apocalyptic survivalist gear to pay IRS | Mail Online
I wonder what sort of welcome this thread would have gotten had it been posted in the religion forum?

Being a crook becomes a way of life. You start out with some success, which hooks you into doing it all the time. Before you know it all you're good at is preying on the weakness of others.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM

9,916 posts, read 9,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I can't believe there is still a spot on television for reruns of their show...
That is not reruns of PTL ... that is current, live broadcasting. He and his new wife Lori are located in Branson, Missouri. They have to be receiving money from people to buy TV time.

Local TV Station Broadcast Listings - Jim Bakker Show

Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
That is not reruns of PTL ... that is current, live broadcasting. He and his new wife Lori are located in Branson, Missouri. They have to be receiving money from people to buy TV time.

Local TV Station Broadcast Listings - Jim Bakker Show
Look, I believe that we probably have a need for spirituality in our lives. In my opinion religions cash in on that need and try to get us to follow their dogma and irrationalities. So, to me, all religions have an element of phoniness to them.

I think if you study history and try to be impartial you might find questionable things about religions. Most good scholarly theological seminaries ensure that their students are well informed about such things. The leaders in most religious communities, being aware of inconsistencies, improbabilities, and errors, have several choices. They can hide the facts from their congregations, they can bury their heads in the sand and pretend those facts do not exist, or they can leave the denomination.

Jim and Co. are among the first two. I think they only know the fleece the public game and they are just continuing in what they are familiar with.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 PM

260 posts, read 799,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

Here's his current scam.

Your link gave me goose bumps when I looked at his now wife compared to Tammy Faye.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,155,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm currently reading a great "True Crime(s)" book called Forgiven: The Rise And Fall of Jim and Tammy Bakker and the PTL Ministry.

I stopped counting the crimes this sociopath committed during his dictatorial reign, and I'm just halfway thru the book! Originally, he wanted to be an actor! Well, I must say, he and Tammy both, put on some Oscar-winning performances at PTL over the years!

The last book I read on televangelists, was Jimmy Schwaggert and his icy, steely-spined, cold-hearted, madly ambitious lesbian wife!

I'm continually amazed at how these greedy televangelists escape prosecution early on. Someone can steal $100 from a convenience store and off to prison they go, and these classes of criminals can steal millions and still go on and on undetected, smelling like roses!

Astoundingly, Jim Bakker only served 4-5 years for all his robberies/fraud, and this criminal is back in business again in Missouri!

Comments?
"Sociopath?" You must be kidding.
"dictatorial reign?" What a bizarre thing to say....he was a preacher, not a dictator. He never forced anyone to do anything, he didn't have any sort of power of that nature......your post makes no sense.
"Wanted to be an actor?" You don't even know what you're talking about.....that was Richard Roberts.
They didn't "steal" anything, people sent money in to support the ministry.

Are you the person that runs that bizarre website about Jimmy Swaggart - if so, I suggest you seek a mental health eval at the earliest opportunity.

Jim Bakker shouldn't have gone to jail at all, he didn't do anything that merited prison. Yes, he apparently overbooked some hotels at Heritage USA, but from what I understand, that is common and not regarded as criminal activity.

Such theatrics! Have you considered a career on the stage?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
I am just really put off by "churches", that are all about raising money...and even have websites where people can put their debit card numbers in for a monthly deduction. And how fake the staff is, with their "care" and "concern", for their flock...

Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,155,663 times
Interesting how many posts this thread has regarding the "crimes" of the Bakkers - which happened 30 years ago - when a two muslims hacked a man to death in London just the other day......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime