U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,075,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Interesting how many posts this thread has regarding the "crimes" of the Bakkers - which happened 30 years ago - when a two muslims hacked a man to death in London just the other day......
Yeah, the Bakkers started out right but fell along the way. They weren't evil, just took the wrong road and kept getting in deeper and deeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:53 PM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Jim Bakker was a dishonest, Gay Businessman, pure and simple!

The Church knew it all along, he was having homosexual affairs way back in Michigan! And it continued and continued and, rest assured, it continues to this day!

How dare he..............................................!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,841,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Jim Bakker was a dishonest, Gay Businessman, pure and simple!

The Church knew it all along, he was having homosexual affairs way back in Michigan! And it continued and continued and, rest assured, it continues to this day!

How dare he..............................................!
i guess you were brought up in england prior to the sixties and nobody clued you in on the fact that HOMOSEXUALITY ISN'T ILLEGAL ANYMORE.

and christians follow the new testament, not leviticus. so quit being a blasphemer and following the old testament.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,357,215 times
I have not read the book that you reference in the OP. I do not know Jim Bakker personally, but we do have mutual friends. My take on the whole PTL fiasco was that Jim was really *not that bright* and was taken advantage of HUGELY by other people who benefited from the "fraud" that you make reference to, while leaving Jim to take the fall. If the book alleges that he is "shrewd and calculating" then whomever wrote it did not do his homework. Jim really is a pretty simple guy (take that for what it is worth) and tends to be manipulated pretty easily by people he trusts. If anything we should feel bad for the guy. As for Tammy Faye - karma is a by|tch.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 21,516 times
being raised Pentecostal i grew up around charlatans such as these....however by the age of 5 i saw this man, a very very funny man..at 5 i probably shouldn't have understood most of what he said, but I did...(for my own grandmother was one of the first female Pentecostal preachers in West Virginia ohhhh the stories i could tell)...i knew from that day forward what i wanted to be...never a singer, dancer, or movie star.....i wanted to be a stand-up comic....
Thank u brother Sam
For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity....They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it... Death cannot kill what never dies.- William Penn

..•*`*•. ☆ .•*`*•. ♥ .•*`*•. ☆ .•*`*•......
..●♥ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ In Memory of Samuel Burl Kinison Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♥●....
.........December 8, 1953 – April 10, 1992.............
........✿•*`*•. (`v) (`v) .•*`*•✿............
.......... . . ✿•*`*•.(`v).•*`*•✿​ . . ...........
.........♥♥.*•. ☆ .•*``•..•`*•. ☆ .•*.♥♥.............

Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,302,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have not read the book that you reference in the OP. I do not know Jim Bakker personally, but we do have mutual friends. My take on the whole PTL fiasco was that Jim was really *not that bright* and was taken advantage of HUGELY by other people who benefited from the "fraud" that you make reference to, while leaving Jim to take the fall. If the book alleges that he is "shrewd and calculating" then whomever wrote it did not do his homework. Jim really is a pretty simple guy (take that for what it is worth) and tends to be manipulated pretty easily by people he trusts. If anything we should feel bad for the guy. As for Tammy Faye - karma is a by|tch.

20yrsinBranson
Bakker has relocated to Branson ... I am assuming you are in that area. Is he and new wife attempting to build a new ministry ... Bakker Land or just doing the TV show and selling survival foods.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Someone needs to read this book! Jim Bakker was/is a total control freak, dictator, my-way-or-the-highway type, didn't take advice from nobody! He was a user, shrewd, calculating, would fire someone in a heartbeat! A pretty simple guy? If only!!!

Tammy was another shopping crazed Imelda Marcos who had probably never been inside a Wal-Mart!

His son is/has been a church leader in NYC, a unique church that caters to Punk-types and has its doors open to Gay People as well!

Last edited by tijlover; 06-04-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,357,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Someone needs to read this book! Jim Bakker was/is a total control freak, dictator, my-way-or-the-highway type, didn't take advice from nobody! He was a user, shrewd, calculating, would fire someone in a heartbeat! A pretty simple guy? If only!!!

Tammy was another shopping crazed Imelda Marcos who had probably never been inside a Wal-Mart!

His son is/has been a church leader in NYC, a unique church that caters to Punk-types and has its doors open to Gay People as well!
Well, believe it or not, I have met the man, and I have listened to several of his sermons *and* I have mutual friends and I think that whomever wrote the book was taking a little creative license and is more interested in book sales, than perhaps, the TRUTH.

Granted Jim has mellowed with age, and I'm sure his prison time took a lot of the wind out of his sails, and yes, I do believe he got caught up in all the money, and decadence. But still, knowing what I know, I really don't think that he was the person, at least at the beginning, who was doing the planning. Then again,maybe he is just getting doty with age.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 PM

I hope you weren't charmed-whipped by this man as he's got charm galore, and he's a master manipulator! The label sociopath comes to mind!

Tammy was able to manipulate people by being able to cry, shed tears at will!

How many people have met up with serial killers, and thought they were the nicest people they've ever met, until they read the headlines one day!

Last edited by tijlover; 06-04-2013 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,394,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I think he missed his calling. He should have been a politican.

Politics these days seems much like religion in that different sects have formed and claim to be the only true way. The winner is the one that is best at demonizing their opponent. They have the power to make the rules and of course they are exempt from following them.
great comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime