U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 PM

223 posts, read 168,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
I am surprised there isn't a thread on here about this but there have been news reports in the past few days re. a "corpse sniffing dog" that has hit on a spot in the basement of Dr. George Hodel's house. Black Dahlia Case: Murder Crime Scene Found by Dog?

Steve Hodel, retired LAPD detective and George Hodel's son, has said plenty over the years about his belief that his father was the killer. He is now making the leap that this spot in the basement has to be connected to the Black Dahlia, which, like many of his conclusions, i have found erroneous.

Fact is, her body was found. whatever they hit on down there, it obviously wasn't her body, and her body was not in an advanced state of decomposition when it was found. i think it is MUCH more likely that George Hodel, who was believed to have performed abortions (he was a surgeon) might have buried some tissue in the basement and that's what they are hitting on. obviously there would have to be bone or tissue and short wasn't missing any organs. i think it would be safe to say that SOMETHING happened in the basement, but jumping to the conclusion that that means murder, or that that means the black dahlia, is something we are just gonna have to wait and find out about.

personally i find walter bayley to be the MUCH more likely suspect, as he lived on the same street and was suffering from a swelling of the brain that caused violent behavior. he was also a surgeon, had met short at her sister's wedding, and had the facilities to commit the crime. he was also obsessed with body parts- apparently he and his assistant used to watch autopsy films during dinner.
Dead bodies leave a cadaver scent on everything they touch.

Decomposition begins immediately, and the traces of cadaverine can last for decades in the right environment - a basement would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM

4,846 posts, read 6,354,667 times
Quote:
this is the only one i could find without a deep internet search- the one on the left is one of the photos hodel claims is short...Image Detail for - On the left, a mystery woman presented in “Black Dahlia Avenger ...
if i remember he was convicted, i believe she became pregnant with her father's child. i heard about the letter on an episode of unsolved mysteries. do a search and the one i saw was on youtube- so i know its still there. there really should be an in depth docu about the connection.

this is the youtube video where the guy talks in depth about his theory regarding walter bayley for those who asked.....its pretty fascinating. watch all three parts.

The Black Dahlia Murder Theory Part 1/3 - YouTube
That is more than a "guy". That is James Ellroy, greatest crime fiction writer to ever grace this earth. He's probably researched the case more than anyone aside from the detectives assigned the case.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,136,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Finally, a reason Hodel might have hated his father so much that he's now written what, three books "proving" that he was not only the killer of Betty Short but also the Zodiac and who knows who else?

I read Black Dahlia Avenger but do not remember the name Walter Bayley. Was he is one of Hodel's books, or one of the other innumerable books on poor Betty Short?

I know I read about Walter Bayley but I don't think it was in Hodel's book. I've read so much about it over the years that it's hard to remember where some of it came from at this point. Hodel's book is the most recent thing I've read. It's a pretty creepy book. Even if his dad never killed anyone, he had some serious problems.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,136,278 times
Quote:
yeah, i live in los angeles now but i have never driven past. there was a ghost hunters episode recently where they were inside the house. its a frank lloyd wright house as well....
It's a pretty cool house. Found these pics:

Lloyd Wright's Los Feliz Sowden House Back on the Market - New to Market - Curbed LA

Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,839,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
That is more than a "guy". That is James Ellroy, greatest crime fiction writer to ever grace this earth. He's probably researched the case more than anyone aside from the detectives assigned the case.
sorry, james ellroy IS the man, when i said "guy" i was referring to his pal there, who has the great theory on the Dahlia.

BTW do yourself a favor, if you have not read his memoir "My Dark Places" do it YESTERDAY. i find it way better than his books. And its his life, and his life was VERY heavy.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,846,287 times
Quote:
this is the only one i could find without a deep internet search- the one on the left is one of the photos hodel claims is short...Image Detail for - On the left, a mystery woman presented in “Black Dahlia Avenger ...
if i remember he was convicted, i believe she became pregnant with her father's child. i heard about the letter on an episode of unsolved mysteries. do a search and the one i saw was on youtube- so i know its still there. there really should be an in depth docu about the connection.

this is the youtube video where the guy talks in depth about his theory regarding walter bayley for those who asked.....its pretty fascinating. watch all three parts.

The Black Dahlia Murder Theory Part 1/3 - YouTube
I just looked at the pics before reading and though the wrong girl looked too ethnic to be the BD. Then I read on...I think the both of the girls look rather ethnic and have totally different lip shapes. Brows can be makeup tricks but even those don't match up. BD had more of a strait type brow.

But I could also see him being obsessed with that "look". Kinda like how SOS went for brunettes.

Where is the other girl that didn't come forward? Looks like photos from those raunchy back page personals for underground smut in the day. (Marya Marco's)

They called her a prostitute but I though "dating for dinner" was pretty common back in those times without expecting returns so to speak. True? False?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonds&pearls View Post
Dead bodies leave a cadaver scent on everything they touch.

Decomposition begins immediately, and the traces of cadaverine can last for decades in the right environment - a basement would be ideal.
It would also be an ideal location for a false hit being the nature of what cadaver dogs actually smell and pick up on. See my post #3 for that info. But basically the hit does not mean its a dead human or possibly even a dead body at all. It goes into the detail in the link. I thought that was interesting.

Last edited by Opsimathia; 02-15-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM

4,846 posts, read 6,354,667 times
Quote:
sorry, james ellroy IS the man, when i said "guy" i was referring to his pal there, who has the great theory on the Dahlia.

BTW do yourself a favor, if you have not read his memoir "My Dark Places" do it YESTERDAY. i find it way better than his books. And its his life, and his life was VERY heavy.
Read it many yesterdays ago. Brilliant author of fiction and memoir. I had the opportunity to meet him at a reading in NYC. I can no longer read his books without hearing his voice. The Hilliker Curse on audiobook is a must. Read by the Demon Dog himself.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,339,065 times
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can a cadaver dog in use now find anything significant related to the illegal activities of a man in the 1940s, for pete's sake?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM

5,144 posts, read 10,846,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can a cadaver dog in use now find anything significant related to the illegal activities of a man in the 1940s, for pete's sake?
It can't. See post #3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime