U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 AM

32,127 posts, read 33,037,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Sexually involved couples typically don't lock bathroom doors when it's just them in the house.

Here's an online survey of this exact question: That Married Couple: Door open or closed?
Well I know of sexually involved couples who do lock bathroom doors even when it is just them in the house. So that particular point proves exactly nothing in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 AM

824 posts, read 1,466,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well I know of sexually involved couples who do lock bathroom doors even when it is just them in the house. So that particular point proves exactly nothing in my opinion.

The police shows up regularly in the houses of your friends/aquaintances? Do they find sterois in their houses? Lots of guns? Reports of agressive bahavior in the past? Possible brain damage caused by jet-ski accident? And most importantly, do the men end up shooting (and killing) the women?

If the answer is yes, then maybe you can compare this incident to the lives of your friends/aquaintances.

If the answer is no, I don´t really understand how can you see "doubts" in this murder.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,362,690 times
Quote:
After he shot the first bullet, why didn't she scream, and why didn't he immediately stop firing? Why did he fire 3 more bullets?
Maybe she was too badly hurt to scream. Maybe he shot her after he clubbed her into submission with the cricket bat. Maybe she knew it was Oscar who shot her and knew there was no point in screaming for help because her number was up. There are a lot of possibilities.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,868,642 times
It seems like those who manage Pistorious are protecting him from anything bad that he is involved in.

Read the latest story about Pistorious on CNN:

Not everyone surprised at Oscar Pistorius' fall from grace - CNN.com

Also, that detective who examined Pistorious home after the incident just resigned from the police force.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Maybe she was too badly hurt to scream. Maybe he shot her after he clubbed her into submission with the cricket bat. Maybe she knew it was Oscar who shot her and knew there was no point in screaming for help because her number was up. There are a lot of possibilities.
Not sure you are understanding my point ...

Oscar is claiming he did not know she was in the bathroom.

After he fires a bullet through the door ... her first reaction would be a scream.

Think about it, if it were happening to you?

Bullets are hitting you and you want them to stop. What do you do? You scream.

If she screamed, as I suspect she did, he should have immediately stopped shooting.

But instead, he continued to shoot 3 more bullets.

Oscar also stated he yelled out to the burglar as he was heading down the hallway:

Read Oscar Pistorius's full account of what happened the night Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead | News.com.au
Quote:
16.10 I grabbed my 9mm pistol from underneath my bed. On my way to the bathroom I screamed words to the effect for him/them to get out of my house and for Reeva to phone the police. It was pitch dark in the bedroom and I thought Reeva was in bed.
16.11 I noticed that the bathroom window was open. I realised that the intruder/s was/were in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and I did not see anyone in the bathroom. I heard movement inside the toilet. The toilet is inside the bathroom and has a separate door.
16.12 It filled me with horror and fear of an intruder or intruders being inside the toilet. I thought he or they must have entered through the unprotected window.
As I did not have my prosthetic legs on and felt extremely vulnerable, I knew I had to protect Reeva and myself. I believed that when the intruder/s came out of the toilet we would be in grave danger. I felt trapped as my bedroom door was locked and I have limited mobility on my stumps.
16.13 I fired shots at the toilet door and shouted to Reeva to phone the police. She did not respond and I moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bathroom entrance. Everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and I was still too scared to switch on a light. Reeva was not responding.
16.14 When I reached the bed, I realised that Reeva was not in bed. That is when it dawned on me that it could have been Reeva who was in the toilet. I returned to the bathroom calling her name. I tried to open the toilet door but it was locked. I rushed back into the bedroom and opened the sliding door exiting onto the balcony and screamed for help.
If he actually screamed at the burglar as he claimed above, wouldn't Reeva have responded from inside the bathroom, something like "Oscar ... what's going on?"

The fact that she supposedly said nothing prior to the gun shots makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I find the story completely unbelievable.

Below is a very detailed news article:

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/os...-1226582132899

Last edited by RD5050; 03-08-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-09-2013, 10:45 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,362,690 times
Quote:
Not sure you are understanding my point ...

Oscar is claiming he did not know she was in the bathroom.

After he fires a bullet through the door ... her first reaction would be a scream.

Think about it, if it were happening to you?

Bullets are hitting you and you want them to stop. What do you do? You scream.

If she screamed, as I suspect she did, he should have immediately stopped shooting.

But instead, he continued to shoot 3 more bullets.

Oscar also stated he yelled out to the burglar as he was heading down the hallway:

Read Oscar Pistorius's full account of what happened the night Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead | News.com.au
If he actually screamed at the burglar as he claimed above, wouldn't Reeva have responded from inside the bathroom, something like "Oscar ... what's going on?"

The fact that she supposedly said nothing prior to the gun shots makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I find the story completely unbelievable.

Below is a very detailed news article:

Oscar Pistorius's account of events stacks up, detective says, as defence attacks police evidence | News.com.au
I understand the point you're making; I just disagree with the whole scenario Pistorius is feeding the media. You are taking Pistorius at face value when he says whatever he can come up with to justifying clubbing his girlfriend and putting 4 bullets in her. If she was alive and conscious long enough to scream, she probably wouldn't anyway -- she knew she was cornered and nobody was going to get there in time to help her. Screaming is something you do to signal distress and get help. There was no point in demanding an explanation at that juncture.

You're also assuming that this shooting happened the way it always happens on TV, with a loud ricochet and a lot of hollering. Many people involved in shootings -- bystanders, the shooter, the person who gets shot -- never hear the gun go off at all, even if they saw the trigger being pulled. And a lot of guns make an unimpressive popping sound that is not what we associate -- again, because of TV and movies -- with gunfire. Even the report of a large gun is usually reported by earwitnesses as sounding like firecrackers or a car backfiring. And if that bullet hits you in the head -- we know at least one of them did -- you're not going to have time to yell. Also, many people who have been shot don't realize it. They feel as if they were punched, or there's a burning sensation, and they only find out later it was a bullet.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I understand the point you're making; I just disagree with the whole scenario Pistorius is feeding the media. You are taking Pistorius at face value when he says whatever he can come up with to justifying clubbing his girlfriend and putting 4 bullets in her. If she was alive and conscious long enough to scream, she probably wouldn't anyway -- she knew she was cornered and nobody was going to get there in time to help her. Screaming is something you do to signal distress and get help. There was no point in demanding an explanation at that juncture.
The text I included in my previous post I believe is from the statement Pistorious gave to the police. And I am not saying I believe this statement.

I am saying that this statement itself is unbelievable, because if it happened like Pistorious claimed, then at some point, the girlfriend would likely have either yelled out or screamed.

So there is no way Pistorious can claim he didn't know who he was shooting at.

Quote:
You're also assuming that this shooting happened the way it always happens on TV, with a loud ricochet and a lot of hollering. Many people involved in shootings -- bystanders, the shooter, the person who gets shot -- never hear the gun go off at all, even if they saw the trigger being pulled. And a lot of guns make an unimpressive popping sound that is not what we associate -- again, because of TV and movies -- with gunfire. Even the report of a large gun is usually reported by earwitnesses as sounding like firecrackers or a car backfiring. And if that bullet hits you in the head -- we know at least one of them did -- you're not going to have time to yell. Also, many people who have been shot don't realize it. They feel as if they were punched, or there's a burning sensation, and they only find out later it was a bullet.
I am not assuming anything about how the shooting occurred. I am going based on what Pistorious told the police in his statement.

If Pistorious had actually yelled to his girlfriend on his way to the bathroom as he claimed, she would have heard him and yelled back. She wouldn't have just said nothing.

If Pistorious fired 4 bullets through a closed bathroom door, the girlfriend would have screamed after being hit by the first bullet. She would have heard the gun go off and then felt pain. Who would not scream under those conditions?

Pistorious should have heard her scream, and immediately stopped firing. But he didn't.

This is why I believe the Pistorious statement is totally unbelievable.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:28 PM

5,144 posts, read 10,867,494 times
As far as hearing someone scream...you can't after just firing a gun. Bullets travel faster than sound and the only thing you hear after firing a gun is ringing in your ears.

As far as the weapon fired in a row. That is only a couple of seconds. It would be very easy to pop off 4 shots in less than 5 seconds while the ringing got worse in your ears. Everything sounds like its underwater when you try to hear after gunfire.

It almost sounds like the perfect set up to get away with it. Except he bashed her face in with a cricket bat according to the daily mail.

I wish they would confirm that or not.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 AM

15,816 posts, read 15,051,405 times
"Olympian Oscar Pistorius cried in court on Monday and friends of slain model Reeva Steenkamp were 'visibly distressed' as the double-amputee was indicted on a premeditated murder charge."
'Blade Runner' Oscar Pistorius wipes away tears as he's indicted on murder charge - World News

Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM

15,816 posts, read 15,051,405 times
He's now bringing in forensic experts from the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or