U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM

9,034 posts, read 16,462,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The defense attorney also hammered the husband and wife witnesses about how similar their statements were--- why wouldn't their testimonies be similar if they heard the same things? Isn't that more a sign that they are telling the truth, and why wouldn't they be?--they have no skin in the game.
Yeah - that stood out to me as well

Really trying to hammer them, especially the wife, on why the stories were so consistent - accusing her of consulting her husbands testimony and using it as a template for her own

To me the common sense would be that if they were in the same area and heard the same sequence of events then their stories should be somewhat similiar

If my wife and I both witnessed a 2 car accident while sitting at a stop light that involved a blue car ramming a red truck it would be more of a credibility hit if one of us said the yellow tractor hit the red truck as opposed to us being consistent with blue car hits red truck

Another thing that was peculiar is the insistance of "are you sure that was a gunshot and not a cricket bat hitting a door" - i'm curious of what they are making these cricket bats out of that they would sound remotely anything like a gunshot, which is fairly unique in it's sound

Overall I don't have a ton of interest in the trial, but am drawn to it a little bit due to the differences within the systems and the actual procedure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 PM

12,374 posts, read 18,468,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Just one thing about this case that doesn't make sense to me, they say he lives in an area where the crime rate is pretty high and that perhaps the best defense is to keep weapons at home and maybe even CCW, not sure about the CCW laws in his homeland maybe he didn't carry his weapon about, but one thing is forsure, he had proper training with his firearms right? or so they say, if that's the case why didn''t he or his family and or girlfriend have a (code word) to prevent (Blue on Blue shooting) it prevents such a mishap (friendly fire) from happeninig to being with? just a thought..
There is no need for some code word or anything of that nonsense. It's very simple - YOU DO NOT POINT YOUR WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DESTROY. That is one of the 4 rules of gun safety that are engrained into anyone that has had training including myself, and it's the first thing taught.

In other words - you certainly do not fire into a door without knowing what's on the other side.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,999,581 times
A good quote from an article I read today on the Pistorius trial:

"He is emotional; he is also, at the moment, fine, and she is dead."

Oscar Pistorius's Gun and Tears : The New Yorker

Old 03-11-2014, 08:04 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,280,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Just one thing about this case that doesn't make sense to me, they say he lives in an area where the crime rate is pretty high and that perhaps the best defense is to keep weapons at home and maybe even CCW, not sure about the CCW laws in his homeland maybe he didn't carry his weapon about, but one thing is forsure, he had proper training with his firearms right? or so they say, if that's the case why didn''t he or his family and or girlfriend have a (code word) to prevent (Blue on Blue shooting) it prevents such a mishap (friendly fire) from happeninig to being with? just a thought..
The fact that there were 2 prior "accidental" releases raises doubt regarding how proficient he actually was. And yes, they should have had a safe word. Having lived in that part of the world people had noises in lieu of words, such as a bird whistle or a cricket chirp indicating "it's me.

Quote:
Actually I believe they live in a gated community in which the crime rate is actually low. Just like in America, those who live in gated communities, and are actually safer than in rough communities, are often the most paranoid about crime, in my opinion.
Actually the secure, gated communities are notorious for corrupt security guards and "inside jobs". One of the more high-profile was the murder of the ex-wife of F.W. de Klerk by a security guard in a high-security upscale complex.

I wouldn't call any segment of the population paranoid regarding crime, violent crime is random, indiscriminate, and affects everyone.

Quote:
On the other hand, the incidence of domestic violence, rape and crimes against women is very high in South Africa. So I suppose women in gated communities are in just as much danger as women anywhere.

On average, 3 women a day are murdered in South Africa.
3 women killed each day in South Africa, world’s worst gender violence | Toronto Star

The incidence of sexual violence against women in South Africa is incredibly high: "Newspaper editorials and talk radio shows are examining traditional chauvinistic attitudes, gun control laws and weaknesses in the police and court systems that allow many perpetrators to walk free — thus discouraging women from reporting. This week police disclosed that they do not have enough rape kits, needed to collect evidence."

"A woman is killed by an intimate partner every eight hours in South Africa, a probable underestimate because no perpetrator is identified in 20 per cent of killings, according to a study published in August...by the South African Medical Research Council. That is double the rate of such murders in the United States, according to the report."
Agreed. Violence against women (and children) in South Africa is an epidemic.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM

A good article on the Pistorius trial by a trial lawyer in which he addresses questions like:

What are the implications when witnesses contradict each other?

If a witness has been shown to be untruthful in one aspect, does that mean all of his/her testimony should be rejected?

The role of objective evidence and probabilities.

Witness News Mobi

I think the most important evidence is that neighbours heard the screams of a woman before they heard any shots fired, which makes Oscar's story a total lie.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,065,572 times
I cannot fathom how he could possibly get off.

Has he testified? Did anyone ask him, "If you thought your GF were sleeping, why didn't you try to wake her and let her know there was an intruder in the home?"

In our house, when we hear a noise we wake the other up. Oscar is disabled - gun or no, he could have been overpowered (he didn't even know how many "intruders" there were). She could have helped in some way. Had he tried to wake her (like anyone would), he would have known she wasn't next to him.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:05 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,076,737 times
0ne interesting aspect, most women who are in a fight/or in an abusive relationship (even verbally abusive, or frightened ) will go into the bathroom to hide. They can't run outside because they don't want the neighbors to see/hear them, so they retreat to the bathroom. Even watch movies of this nature, the woman will run into the bathroom and lock herself in.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
0ne interesting aspect, most women who are in a fight/or in an abusive relationship (even verbally abusive, or frightened ) will go into the bathroom to hide. They can't run outside because they don't want the neighbors to see/hear them, so they retreat to the bathroom. Even watch movies of this nature, the woman will run into the bathroom and lock herself in.
All of today's testimony was about the bathroom door, and the effects of cricket bat strikes on it etc.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 AM

32,167 posts, read 33,074,656 times
Oscar Pistorius trial: Paralympian throws up again after graphic photograph of Reeva Steenkamp's body is shown in court - Africa - World - The Independent

Old 03-13-2014, 12:26 PM

4,577 posts, read 7,076,737 times
question....did they go out anywhere on Valentine's day evening to celebrate? I mean, they were only together for about 4 months, supposedly madly in love, I find it hard to believe that they didn't go out somewhere. I think V-Day triggered something, a really bad fight or he got PO'd about something. Was there any evidence of any gifts they had given/or were going to give each other?

I do find it odd that he was so terrified of an intruder yet didn't put on his prosthesis...I would think he would be most vulnerable without them and want to be as ambulatory as possible in case he had to escape the home or something. But I don't know, maybe he is more comfortable without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or