U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 03:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,349,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
The part that still baffles me is how he (or his team) thought this story would even make sense.

Yes, I understand he felt vulnerable without his prostethes.
Yes, I understand it was the middle of the night.
Yes, I understand he lives in a high crime area.

What I don't understand is how anybody on the other side of a locked door is a real and immediate threat? Why not find something to barricade the person in and call the police?

I don't understand how any rational human being whose ever been in a relationship with another adult would not do a visual or at least auditory check for their whereabouts ESPECIALLY if one fears that an intruder is in the house.

I don't understand how a famous person will a "team" of advisors couldn't concoct a better lie than this ridiculously transparent one.

Yeah, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:53 PM

15,265 posts, read 12,582,834 times
At the start of the trial I had him hung drawn and quartered... now Im not so sure...the witnesses that said they heard screams then gunshots also said they saw a light in the toillet at the same time... but Oscar said the light was broken and wasnt on and another witness a policeman confirmed this.. Too many things were also moved by police that had still to be looked at by forensics including watches of Oscars being stolen by police...this all goes in his favour.. we ll have to wait though on the remainting witnesses to show up.... but now I can see him getting off with a much reduced charge...

Old 05-02-2014, 05:13 AM

25,881 posts, read 39,166,424 times
What is going on with this case...i never hear anything on tv about it.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,826,042 times
I believe the judge postponed the trial for a few weeks in order to unclog the waiting pipeline of other cases.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,980,470 times
The trial resume this Monday, May 5th. You can catch it live on Youtube at around 3:30 a.m. if you are so inclined.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:30 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,257,968 times
This clearly draws attention to the question of how someone doesn't notice where their partner is during such an incident:

Interesting Pistorius timeline as offered by donmack | Phils Musings

Old 05-10-2014, 12:59 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
The original headline is quite misleading.

He wasn't charged with murder because he mistook her for an intruder.

He was charged with murder because they did not believe he mistook her for an intruder.

Big difference !

Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
At the start of the trial I had him hung drawn and quartered... now Im not so sure...the witnesses that said they heard screams then gunshots also said they saw a light in the toillet at the same time... but Oscar said the light was broken and wasnt on and another witness a policeman confirmed this.. Too many things were also moved by police that had still to be looked at by forensics including watches of Oscars being stolen by police...this all goes in his favour.. we ll have to wait though on the remainting witnesses to show up.... but now I can see him getting off with a much reduced charge...
What are options to convict him with? The conviction should fit the crime - obviously I think we can all sensibly agree he didn't really think there was a bad guy in the bathroom and he though his girlfriend was in the bad next to him. That's just nonsensical. But also this isn't a case of premeditated murder, perhaps he didn't even mean to harm her although we may never know. He was a violent, rage-filled idiot. Argued with his girlfriend, she retreated to the bathroom, and in a fit of rage he got his weapon out and fired some rounds through the door, with the intention of either 1.) harming her, or 2.) to release some pent-up anger via the discharge of the gun (similar to punching a hole in a plasterboard wall) and also to scare her. The question would be - did he mean to harm her, or was this an extreme example of negligent discharge of a weapon? Both deserve jail time - #1 - for decades, #2 - for a few years at least.
He might have actually gained more credibility if his defense just argued to #2.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:32 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,733,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What are options to convict him with? The conviction should fit the crime - obviously I think we can all sensibly agree he didn't really think there was a bad guy in the bathroom and he though his girlfriend was in the bad next to him. That's just nonsensical. But also this isn't a case of premeditated murder, perhaps he didn't even mean to harm her although we may never know. He was a violent, rage-filled idiot. Argued with his girlfriend, she retreated to the bathroom, and in a fit of rage he got his weapon out and fired some rounds through the door, with the intention of either 1.) harming her, or 2.) to release some pent-up anger via the discharge of the gun (similar to punching a hole in a plasterboard wall) and also to scare her. The question would be - did he mean to harm her, or was this an extreme example of negligent discharge of a weapon? Both deserve jail time - #1 - for decades, #2 - for a few years at least.
He might have actually gained more credibility if his defense just argued to #2.

BIG difference between knocking a hole in the wall and shooting a hole in the wall.

About the same difference as hitting someone in the face or shooting someone in the face.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
BIG difference between knocking a hole in the wall and shooting a hole in the wall.

About the same difference as hitting someone in the face or shooting someone in the face.
Thank you Captain Obvious for your contribution to this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or